Player Jazz Tevaga

Afakasi247

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 5, 2014
I remember watching him play in the 20's. Had the same passion and heart in his game then - but I'd never thought this would translate to the NRL.

Plus, I thought he was too small and may not be able to hang with the big boys ala David Bhana.

But fuck me, has he proved us all wrong - plays with the passion, commitment and intensity we need some of our 'Bigger Names' to play with.
He might be slight in frame, but he can chop any fool in half on defense.

If any youngster is a priority to sign long term - Jazz has to be NUMBER 1.

Plus, learning his craft from the best hooker NZ has produced.... the King and his heir both in our books, can't go wrong.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
What has been Luke's primary issue?

Fitness.

What isn't an issue for Tevaga?

Fitness.

The kid made nearly 50 tackles in the last game and played nearly the full 80 ... he can play the opening 20 in the hooker role and absorb the heat... then we bring on Luke for the remaining60 mins which is about his limit.

Its tactical.
Tevaga has been really impressive, his defence is unbelievable, he dominates in the tackle. He is a breath of fresh air in a team that struggles defencively.

nickster

U20's Player
Apr 26, 2016
Brings energy and toughness which can rub off on the other players and has youth on his side! Does the dirty work with EASE!!! We lost that kind of player in Elijah.

Danpatmac

Brings energy and toughness which can rub off on the other players and has youth on his side! Does the dirty work with EASE!!! We lost that kind of player in Elijah.

i get what you are saying... but I think he is a far better defender than Elijah

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
IMO this kid has overtaken Nathaniel Roache as our future hooker. I know Roache is highly rated for his training ethic and attitude but you cant go past Jazz's toughness. Mental toughness as well as physical. Seen him get up slow, struggle to get back into the line but digs in and he pushes on. Guys gassed as fuck but manages to keep digging deeper for the team to make another tackle. Then another. Then another...

You just cant teach that sort of spirit or work rate. And he's only turning 21 this September!

Theres always the possibility he moves to lock but his height will probably see him limited in his ball playing...

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
IMO this kid has overtaken Nathaniel Roache as our future hooker. I know Roache is highly rated for his training ethic and attitude but you cant go past Jazz's toughness. Mental toughness as well as physical. Seen him get up slow, struggle to get back into the line but digs in and he pushes on. Guys gassed as fuck but manages to keep digging deeper for the team to make another tackle. Then another. Then another...

You just cant teach that sort of spirit or work rate. And he's only turning 21 this September!

Theres always the possibility he moves to lock but his height will probably see him limited in his ball playing...

Yeah, I think he's too small to play as a look realistically - when, generally speaking, you want your lock to have a post-line passing game, a la Corey Parker.

But, I've seen MORE than enough from him at hooker to see that he could become an elite dummy-half - and it's not just because of his toughness, which he has in spades, its his reaction to play, his engagement of markers out of dummy half, the smoothness of his passes bringing forwards onto the ball, etc etc. Kid's got serious potential.

Reactions: mode81 and Miket12

JoeyJohns

"I was a bit pissed off," laughed Tevaga.

"I was like 'nah, I've just finished training, I don't want to train again!' Little did I know I'd be debuting, so I'm thankful for the opportunity.

"Cappy (coach Andrew McFadden) called me over and he told me 'you are starting for us, mate'.

"I swore, I said, 'what the f'. I was just in complete shock."

We need to find a way to change the mindset of the apprentices, whereby when the bosses tells the apprentice to cop some unfair treatment....do massive extra's, the apprentice sucks it up and sweeps the workshop floors, makes cups of tea...and stays late after work.

I think the missing element is a winning top side.

The idea of cracking it at the Warriors needs a top four reality to drive the minions to throw themselves at extra responsibility without questioning.

At the moment no one on the lower rung is inspired to see making fg as reaching the impossible dream.

To Tevanga's credit, once he got there.....he played like he was living the dream.

Totally disagree. The Intertrust training is intense so to back that up with a captains run for FG knowing he hadn't figured in Cappys plans to play FG this season. Jazz it seems is not signed to FG and is probably on pittance in the second tier so maybe he thought he'd be 18th man esp with the talented Nate Roache groomed as #2 hooker. Nobody likes 18th man, it means no football that weekend and wishing on a star.

As for the mindset, the guys are not intimidated to play FG. It's their lack of 'maturity' getting there and then their lack of mental toughness once they do get there. Consistency!

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Energy, toughness, passion, heart, commitment, work ethic, digging deep........says something about this club when we have a junior come through with these attributes it surprises the shit out of us. It seems under Aussie systems these attributes are a baseline requirement, "talent" is the icing on the cake......until those virtues are instilled in our plethora of uber talented kids across the board, the Tevaga's, Bhana's, Henry's, Taylor's, Mannering's etc of kiwiland will be the exception not the rule.

I'm careful to not go overboard on the jazz man just yet, I wouldn't say he's an exceptional talent.....but I would say he's showing all the signs of being the type of player every team needs.....especially ours. Dont think he's nailed down a position yet (either hooker or backrow) but he needs to be there somewhere. If hooker is where they see him at, then his bringing his forwards onto the ball and when to run or give early ball to his playmakers will need developing......defensively though, he's pretty much there....so rare for a young un. Really like the option he gives cappy to do 20 at hooker, then give one of our back rowers a spell without losing that work ethic.

He's a first grader for sure.

Reactions: snake77 and ramps

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Been impressed with Tevaga. His first game was supposed to be a game with him and Roache sharing the dummy half duties. He played a big stint first up which was impressive but needed to back that up due to an injury to Roache. He's been playing some big minutes and handling it well.

One of the reasons I was a fan of Laumape was even though he was a rookie he didn't make a huge amount of mistakes. A lot our rookies for all of their nice highlights they have too many mistakes in them. Tevaga like Laumape I can't recall a large amount of mistakes; the only one I can remember his next effort in the game was a tackle that forced a mistake from the opposition.

In the early rounds one of few positives was how well Roache was going debuting in first grade. Since he's given Tevaga an opportunity Roache hasn't been able to get a look in.

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
NEW DEAL FOR WARRIOR

The Warriors continue to strengthen their roster with crafty hooker Jazz Tevaga signing a new two-year-deal.

Playing understudy to Issac Luke, Tevaga made his NRL debut earlier this year with the Warriors moving swiftly to prevent rivals pinching the 20-year-old.

While there was interest from other NRL clubs, Tevaga decided to stay in Auckland to learn under Luke.

Luke and Tevaga now both come off contract at the end of 2018 but the Christchurch product can play a number of positions.

Tevaga was lock in the junior Warriors’ 2014 NYC grand final winning team.

Tevaga inked a new contract last Friday with the club expected to announce the signing shortly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/fe821f61db1a3cb4d60ff90956898662

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings