Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys need to redo TVNZ

Never. But look at it this way. If I’m right and shit falls apart , I’ll be living in my own land, self sufficient with my family. If I’m wrong, well I’ll be living in my own land, self sufficient with my family.
You're like Pascal. Frank's Wager, you can't lose.

Woke panic is all part of the Atlas neoliberal elite propaganda program to make you vote against your own best interests, works every time.
Yep, programming.
All the catchphrases and all the dismissive labels repeated ad nauseum. An echo chamber.
Gulliblle people start using them and then believe them.
Original thought and discernment is dropped because its too hard - easier to trot out slogans.

Last edited:
Woke panic is all part of the Atlas neoliberal elite propaganda program to make you vote against your own best interests, works every time.
Fronted by Mickey Mouse and Goofy?

So the propaganda starts with the kids? And I thought Disneyland was supposed to be the happiest place on earth?

Little did I know the earth was code for Atlas and happiness is really neoliberalism!

And the sheep all said it was just a conspiracy theory…

You guys need to redo TVNZ

Never. But look at it this way. If I’m right and shit falls apart , I’ll be living in my own land, self sufficient with my family. If I’m wrong, well I’ll be living in my own land, self sufficient with my family.
I went that way with a young family, it's hard work and requires plenty of capital and some income to be self sufficient.
Gave it away after four years and returned to middle class plodding while the kids grew up.
Went back to being semi self sufficient when I retired ( 53 ), that is food production and solar.
Now looking to head back to an 800sqm section, small vege garden and that's it.
Motivation for the work and lifestyle has faded, I think it does at different stages of life.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I went that way with a young family, it's hard work and requires plenty of capital and some income to be self sufficient.
Gave it away after four years and returned to middle class plodding while the kids grew up.
Went back to being semi self sufficient when I retired ( 53 ), that is food production and solar.
Now looking to head back to an 800sqm section, small vege garden and that's it.
Motivation for the work and lifestyle has faded, I think it does at different stages of life.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Yeah I’m 41 so life stages a factor, still trying to maximise capital and net worth. But once your passive income and asset base is large enough you don’t have to do much. Not quite at that stage, but hopeful end of this year, start of next.

On NewsHub shutting down. I only caught the tail end of it while in the car last night.

Marcus Lush talking to a caller

Marcus Lush "Were you in the room when it was announced?"
Caller "No"
Marcus Lush "Were you not at work yesterday, was it your day off?"
Caller "I work nights"
Marcus Lush "Do you work on one of the night shows"
Caller "No I am the janitor"

It then went around in circles on the building he worked at. He also didn't know it was owned by Warner Brothers Discovery. Mind you typically companies employ a company to do cleaning services, that way you can ditch them for someone else later.

Marcus Lush did have some good points. They didn't try and save costs by cutting presenters or cutting the news back to half an hour. Or cutting the Breakfast show as that would be costly. It was pretty much this isn't working.

Didn’t know Elizabeth Warren wrote a book about what I’m learning now.

Be fascinating to know the degree of causation of women in the workforce for middle class decline, and how much eonomic factors would have dictated more dual income families anyway, similar to WW2 necessities. Is it the chicken or the egg or the fox in the henhouse.

I don't know why people aren't going back to the Dunedin South Countdown.... 8 out of 10 rats rated it 4 paw.

Last edited:

This was part of an article on NCEA results. Touched my heart and is what we used to try do do when we had our ECE centres. Many families dont have a clue and normal bare minimum state funded education hasn’t a hope of changing outcomes. It takes the whole community and going the extra mile to make intergenerational change. This is a model that should be the standard - inspiring stuff:

Secrets of success​

A third of the Te Kura Māori o Ngā Tapuwae’s 300 students (from Year 0 to Year 13) live in solo working-parent households, while one in six have grandparents as their main caregiver or living in their homes.

So it’s vital, principal Stirling says, to break the intergenerational cycle of unwellness and teach students what it means to be well: “A quiet mind so they can think, a flourishing spirit so they know their worth, and a body fit for purpose, not a body that’s fit for social media. How do we go about that? Your BMI is irrelevant. Are you moving? Feeling a physical experience that makes you feel well in your mind and your heart?”

The co-ed kura has extraordinary buy-in from the community, which translates to a unique level of trust.

“We’re three generations going into four now. Ninety per cent of staff are ex-pupils or have family members in our school. I’ve been here for 35 years and I’ve been the principal for 28 years. Even though we come from different areas of Māoridom, this is our little tribe here,” she says.

“We have what we call a tripartite agreement. Sometimes it will be the parent and the child coming to the kura to say they need something to change. Or it might be the child and a teacher saying to Mum and Dad, ‘You need to change something at home’ because this will make their learning experience better. Or it could be the parent and the teacher saying to the child, ‘Pull your socks up, get out of bed because Mum needs to go to work.’”

There’s also a willingness among staff to go above and beyond.

“We spend probably a good 20 hours a week looking for funding, over and above our jobs, so our kids can have experiences they can’t afford. Learning how to scuba dive? That’s $1000, $1500 per kid. Spirit of Adventure? $2000. We sent 12 of our kids there last year. We find every cent so our kids don’t miss out on experiences, so they know some of the world outside of here,” Stirling says.

“If you can’t afford uniform, if you can’t afford books, we’ll find the money. Money is never a reason why you can’t be at school. I tell the parents all I expect is that they make sure the children get at least seven hours of sleep, and that they come to school. We’ll do the rest.”

The school offers more than education. A doctor spends four hours a week at the school.

“Seventeen per cent of our community are grandparents raising children, so those grandparents can come in - and if we need to pick them up, we’ll pick them up - and have their own wellness checks. Anything that their children might need a check for, it’s all free,” Stirling says.

And nutrition, courtesy of a school chef.

“Our marks have continued to rise over the last 15 years, but the trajectory has been astounding since having food in school. And with the Ka Ora Ka Ako programme [which is currently funded to the end of 2024] our academic success has become extremely sustainable,” she says.

“On Monday, our kids go for extras, and on Friday they stock up. Without that food, we’ve got 300 hungry kids. You’re not going to get academic success on empty stomachs.”

The proportion of its school leavers with NCEA Level 3 in 2020 was 81.8 per cent, rising to 92.3 per cent in 2021 and 95.2 per cent in 2022.

“I constantly say to my students, ‘you know, the more education you have, the more choices you have, and the more employable you are’. That’s the bottom line,” Stirling says.

“What’s so exciting about the results in 2023 is that the cohort of Year 13, who had to come through the roughest ride of Covid, had 100 per cent UE. When communities mobilise themselves to address the challenges, academic success is a natural byproduct.”

One of the kura’s Year 13 boys went to America last year as a Nasa space cadet, she adds.

“If you work through a lens of improving wellness, you improve everything. It’s not even about being Māori. It’s about understanding the cultural premise that meets and suits the needs of your children. We just happen to be Māori, in a total-immersion Māori school.”

NZ Initiative senior fellow Dr Michael Johnston says what happens in school has relatively little impact on student achievement, according to research.

“There’s a raft of reasons why, irrespective of what schools do, kids from well-off families are advantaged in education. If you’ve got highly educated parents, they’re more likely to be able to help you with your studies, they’re more likely to be able to afford private tutors,” he says.

But that doesn’t mean it has no impact.

“The job of the public system should be to level that playing field as much as it can. The things I argue for very strongly are that we need to be very clear about the importance of quality teaching, and a high-quality curriculum.

“If you have a weak curriculum or poorly trained teachers, or both, then that disadvantages everybody, but especially those whose families can’t make up for that in some other way.”

This was part of an article on NCEA results. Touched my heart and is what we used to try do do when we had our ECE centres. Many families dont have a clue and normal bare minimum state funded education hasn’t a hope of changing outcomes. It takes the whole community and going the extra mile to make intergenerational change. This is a model that should be the standard - inspiring stuff:

Secrets of success​

A third of the Te Kura Māori o Ngā Tapuwae’s 300 students (from Year 0 to Year 13) live in solo working-parent households, while one in six have grandparents as their main caregiver or living in their homes.

So it’s vital, principal Stirling says, to break the intergenerational cycle of unwellness and teach students what it means to be well: “A quiet mind so they can think, a flourishing spirit so they know their worth, and a body fit for purpose, not a body that’s fit for social media. How do we go about that? Your BMI is irrelevant. Are you moving? Feeling a physical experience that makes you feel well in your mind and your heart?”

The co-ed kura has extraordinary buy-in from the community, which translates to a unique level of trust.

“We’re three generations going into four now. Ninety per cent of staff are ex-pupils or have family members in our school. I’ve been here for 35 years and I’ve been the principal for 28 years. Even though we come from different areas of Māoridom, this is our little tribe here,” she says.

“We have what we call a tripartite agreement. Sometimes it will be the parent and the child coming to the kura to say they need something to change. Or it might be the child and a teacher saying to Mum and Dad, ‘You need to change something at home’ because this will make their learning experience better. Or it could be the parent and the teacher saying to the child, ‘Pull your socks up, get out of bed because Mum needs to go to work.’”

“We spend probably a good 20 hours a week looking for funding, over and above our jobs, so our kids can have experiences they can’t afford. Learning how to scuba dive? That’s $1000, $1500 per kid. Spirit of Adventure? $2000. We sent 12 of our kids there last year. We find every cent so our kids don’t miss out on experiences, so they know some of the world outside of here,” Stirling says.

“If you can’t afford uniform, if you can’t afford books, we’ll find the money. Money is never a reason why you can’t be at school. I tell the parents all I expect is that they make sure the children get at least seven hours of sleep, and that they come to school. We’ll do the rest.”

The school offers more than education. A doctor spends four hours a week at the school.

“Seventeen per cent of our community are grandparents raising children, so those grandparents can come in - and if we need to pick them up, we’ll pick them up - and have their own wellness checks. Anything that their children might need a check for, it’s all free,” Stirling says.

“Our marks have continued to rise over the last 15 years, but the trajectory has been astounding since having food in school. And with the Ka Ora Ka Ako programme [which is currently funded to the end of 2024] our academic success has become extremely sustainable,” she says.

“On Monday, our kids go for extras, and on Friday they stock up. Without that food, we’ve got 300 hungry kids. You’re not going to get academic success on empty stomachs.”

The proportion of its school leavers with NCEA Level 3 in 2020 was 81.8 per cent, rising to 92.3 per cent in 2021 and 95.2 per cent in 2022.

“I constantly say to my students, ‘you know, the more education you have, the more choices you have, and the more employable you are’. That’s the bottom line,” Stirling says.

“What’s so exciting about the results in 2023 is that the cohort of Year 13, who had to come through the roughest ride of Covid, had 100 per cent UE. When communities mobilise themselves to address the challenges, academic success is a natural byproduct.”

One of the kura’s Year 13 boys went to America last year as a Nasa space cadet, she adds.

“If you work through a lens of improving wellness, you improve everything. It’s not even about being Māori. It’s about understanding the cultural premise that meets and suits the needs of your children. We just happen to be Māori, in a total-immersion Māori school.”

NZ Initiative senior fellow Dr Michael Johnston says what happens in school has relatively little impact on student achievement, according to research.

“There’s a raft of reasons why, irrespective of what schools do, kids from well-off families are advantaged in education. If you’ve got highly educated parents, they’re more likely to be able to help you with your studies, they’re more likely to be able to afford private tutors,” he says.

“The job of the public system should be to level that playing field as much as it can. The things I argue for very strongly are that we need to be very clear about the importance of quality teaching, and a high-quality curriculum.

“If you have a weak curriculum or poorly trained teachers, or both, then that disadvantages everybody, but especially those whose families can’t make up for that in some other way.”

This Maori immersion school is anathema to the NZ Initiative (Business Roundtable/Atlas), they'll likely call it Woke and racist, cut funding and gut the place, they're already making noises about cutting Ka Ora Ka Ako. School was getting v impressive results though 😔

Last edited:

Secrets of success​

That’s the intensive work required to actually FIX most of societies issues.

Back