James Gavet

1. Fearmuss
    Join:
    Mar 4, 2016

Fearmuss 1st Grade Fringe

If only Vete had panned out here, really thought he would have had the pedigree. Considering we had Jazz out there at prop for half of the year I don't think Kearney is too worried about being light :p

I'm figure Bunty is slotting in for Gavet in the rotation with Isaiah taking his bench spot? Seems pretty solid to me I reckon LAM and Papali'i have got some leg drive between them...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Apparently he was forced out.
    Maybe the staff didn't like the fact he never tied his hair up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

He was a good player at his peak. Good luck at the Knights.

4. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Interesting to read that. I thought releasing him was pretty odd at the time considering he was still probably in our top 17 at the time. Maybe the resigning of Luke blew the salary cap out and we needed to let him go?

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

If somebody has to go it pays not to be a potential target, he should know that. I wonder if they would have kept him if they knew about SJ? Just saying like.

6. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

It wasn’t a media thing as he suggested. He turned up late to training quite often. The club has standards and he didn’t meet them. A good call by the club moving him on

7. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I guess the SJ thing kind put a spanner in the works, good to know we now have lots of cap space though

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

If that is the case good call.

9. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Must be tempting to do what Lousi did and just play out the contract. One year in reserve grade probably wouldn’t have affected his career that much. Newcastle’s offer must have been not too bad.

10. JaggedJ
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

JaggedJ 1st Grade Fringe

Doesn't this pretty much happen at every club? If his contract made him expendable and he wasn't doing all the right things then that's just the way this business goes.

11. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Another reason to get rid of back-ended or front-loaded contracts? Maybe if he'd signed for (say, I have no idea what he was really on) 4 Years at $700,000 per season he'd still be here? Taking rumours of regular late attendance at training out of the equation, obviously....

JaggedJ nailed it: It's a business. If it suits the club to end things early, it allows the player to present himself as a victim. If it suits the player to end things early, it allows the club to present themselves as a victim. If they choose.

12. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

If the club is to be beleved money isnt the reason the club decided to move him on.

The only thing to say to a player who repearedly breaches protocols is goodbye. That applies to elite professional sport and your local Sunday afternoon darts team.

I like James as a player and human being and wish him all the best in the future.

13. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I’m amazed all the fans that were upset that Johnson didn’t see out his contract aren’t flooding this thread with disgust at the club for doing the same thing to one of its players.

14. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I don't really agree ethically with the whole : we will back end your contract and then dump you before we pay you what you thought was rightfully yours.
    I hope he is making enough at the knights.
    This whole ' it's a business ' thing doesn't really cut it. People unfortunately aren't just numbers and loyalty has to count somewhere.
    Just my 2 cents.

15. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The article says the Warriors recruited a few players and also upgraded contracts so he was forced out. Besides Lesson Ah Mau who was signed pretty early the others were signed after the season had completed. I assume they arrived before Gavet left.

Management were saying the cap was tight towards the end of last year. It didn't seem like they were over as they could sign 1-2 fringe players which they did. A number of clubs seem to sign players and go over the cap for the following year and then work through releasing guys they don't want which would be good if the NRL could tighten up on.

We also don't know if this was misinterpreted. He may have turned up late a few times or there may have been another issue off the field. He may have been told he'd start in reserve grade which may have been interpreted as I'll be playing reserve grade.

It was good to see him turn his career around here. We get ridiculed for guys form falling off when they come here. He came here got himself in shape, earned a contract and become a regular first grader.

It would of been good to still have him here. He is going to a club that looks to be on the rise.

16. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

Was there a few weeks ago transitioning some Kiwi boys into Knights development system and feedback on him is pretty impressive.

Bully being retained was the tipping point for ousting Jimmy, not the discipline issues. That was spin. In any event it's all a bit too late now. Warriors reneged on year 2 of his contract as well, forced on him by Smith and O'Sullivan because they didn't see him in their plans moving forward.

From all accounts he's been embraced by Newcastle and now buddying up with Klem a former teammate from the Dogs. Hes also now a member now of their leadership playing group and the younger Pacific boys are really responding well so I was told.

Reuniting with Balen Couples too has been a revelation.

17. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Lol, he gets paid regardless of NRL or reserve grade.
    Ask Mt Wellington, he repeatedly breached protocol and got the boot.

18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Too preoccupied with his hair than this game. Harsh but fair.

Good luck to him at the Knights.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

George has said that discipline had nothing to do with letting Gavet go. Unless George is bending the truth then I am very disappointed with the club. I was happy for Gavet to be on his way if it was due to off field tardiness. But if he was putting in then we should should have been doing everything possible to keep him. I know we signed LAM but in my opinion we wanted him in addition to our existing rotation.

Gavet was told he would be in reserve grade this year. I would have liked to see him call their bluff. Gotta wonder when that kind of message gets given to Bam Bam

20. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Regardless of off-field issues, he was very poor for us last year. I'm not shedding too many tears over it. For the lack of impact he was having and the amount of cap (apparently) going to him, we're better off blooding some NSW Cup players tbh.