Player Jamayne Taunoa-Brown

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Meet the hulking 117kg rapper who is also a pro footy player: Hip-hop artist 'Yung Maynie' hangs up his microphone to trial with an NRL team

• Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, 23, is a rapper and hip hop producer Yung Maynie
  • He's recently traded in the tunes for a chance to become a NRL legend
  • The 117kg prop will feature in a charity match as he trials with the Auckland club
By LOUISE AYLING FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
PUBLISHED: 10:24 AEDT, 12 February 2020 | UPDATED: 12:00 AEDT, 12 February 2020
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - also known as Yung Maynie - an up-and-coming rapper and hip-hop producer from Melbourne" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-1-1591510934" data-lb-id="_xfUid-1-1591510934" style="">
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - also known as Yung Maynie - an up-and-coming rapper and hip-hop producer from Melbourne

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - also known as Yung Maynie - an up-and-coming rapper and hip-hop producer from Melbourne
An Australian hip-hop artist has traded in his microphone for a football as he tries to crack an NRL team.

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - also known as 'Yung Maynie' - is an up-and-coming rapper and hip-hop producer from Melbourne.

But the 23-year-old will be standing in front of a different crowd on Saturday with some of Australia and New Zealand's football greats.

Taunoa-Brown has been selected to play for Laurie Daley's Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast next week.

The 117kg prop is on a trial with the New Zealand Warriors, earning $1,000 a week - leaving him with only $500 after rent and tax.

Despite the meagre pay, the youngster will be playing alongside some of the highest-earning players in rugby league.

Taunoa-Brown (pictured) has been selected to play for Laurie Daley's Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast next week" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-2-1591510934" data-lb-id="_xfUid-2-1591510934" style="">
Taunoa-Brown (pictured) has been selected to play for Laurie Daley's Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast next week

Taunoa-Brown (pictured) has been selected to play for Laurie Daley's Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast next week
Taunoa-Brown was selected for the Australian side alongside Latrell Mitchell and David Fifita.

He'll be facing off against Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Jesse Bromwich on the opposing Maori side.

The selection was made by organisers of the charity event who were scrambling to get reinforcements after high profile drop-outs due to injury.

Taunoa-Brown began his football career playing for the Melbourne Storm and Newcastle Knights junior sides.

He was then head-hunted for Auckland-based team the Warriors.

Warriors recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan told the New Zealand Herald he's got a strong career ahead of him.

'He has always been a player I have had time for. I thought he was the best attacking prop in Queensland Cup last year when he was with Norths Brisbane, that's beyond any doubt,' he said.

'I brought him to New Zealand to train and trial. He has been terrific and the coaches want to keep him. We are hoping to upgrade him into the top squad next year.'

Taunoa-Brown has a strong career ahead of him in NRL" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-3-1591510934" data-lb-id="_xfUid-3-1591510934" style="">
Warriors recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan told the New Zealand Herald Taunoa-Brown has a strong career ahead of him in NRL

Warriors recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan told the New Zealand Herald Taunoa-Brown has a strong career ahead of him in NRL
But the young footy player is a double-threat, and has been working on career as a rapper and hip-hop producer on the side.

Taunoa-Brown's alter ego Yung Maynie has attracted a young fan base in Australia after featuring on national music program Triple J Unearthed.

He revealed his career in the music industry was born out passion during an interview last year.

'I have always loved music,' he said. 'It was always a hobby, mucking around with music with my mates at school. Over the last couple of years I started making my own tracks.

'I've got a little set-up at home, a little studio, everything I need, in a spare room.'

Taunoa-Brown's alter ego Yung Maynie collaborated with Melbourne hip hop group 'The Cross'" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-4-1591510934" data-lb-id="_xfUid-4-1591510934" style="">
Taunoa-Brown's alter ego Yung Maynie collaborated with Melbourne hip hop group 'The Cross'

Taunoa-Brown's alter ego Yung Maynie collaborated with Melbourne hip hop group 'The Cross'

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Jet setter Taunoa-Brown ready to make most of shock call up
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Wed 19 Feb 2020, 05:01 PM
Jaymane.PNG

Former Storm prospect Jamayne Taunoa-Brown has lived in four cities in five years but hopes his current home in Auckland will provide him with a permanent base.

Unwanted by Melbourne and Newcastle, Taunoa-Brown landed himself a train and trial contract at the Warriors over the off-season.

The 23-year-old prop received an unexpected boost last week when he was called into Laurie Daley's Indigenous All Stars squad for the clash on the Gold Coast.

He hopes playing in the pre-season showpiece can boost his chances of being added to the Warriors' top-30 squad.

"I just want to make the most of it," Taunoa-Brown told NRL.com.

"It will be the biggest game I'll ever play with the quality of players on the field and it's pretty much make or break for me.

"I went over to the Warriors with no guarantees. I'm looking to work hard and hopefully get rewarded for it.

"Stephen Kearney has been very helpful and making me work on the little efforts in the game and be a better player and person. I'm trying to learn as much as I can."

One of the rare rugby league players born and bred in Melbourne, Taunoa-Brown lamented not taking his chances coming through the Storm junior system.

"I've tried to trim down [since], I'm down to 114kgs now and it's the lightest I've been for a while," he said.

"I went to Newcastle for a while and then at North Devils in Queensland but only now I've really started to focus on my weight."

The Warriors have a final trial match against Wests Tigers for Taunoa-Brown to impress.

He was limited in the club's disappointing performances at the NRL Nines in Perth.

"It wasn't what we were looking for but not a bad thing to get the cobwebs out," he said.

"I didn't think NRL was going to happen anytime soon but am lucky to get this opportunity regardless of how everything goes."

Reactions: warriorsfan92

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 10, 2013
Auckland
Be watching how he goes this weekend for the indige team
Was awesome in the Q cup but this is next level
Sounds like the aptitude wasn't there with the Storm, a huge opportunity missed.
Come on Warriors don't f**k this up
Just play your own game kid, stick to the basics but go hard...

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Do we get some kind of injury squad dispensation seeing as we've lost a player for the season before its even kicked off? as in, JTB becomes the 29th player and a spot remains open for a certain BMM mid-season switch. Not to mention another possible spot if we can rid ourselves of Lisone
Not sure. I know salary cap dispention only counts for players injured during rep games. Not sure about squad spots.

If you have enough injuries you can get dispention from the NRL to play players from outside the top 30, but it would have to be a long injury list that included more than Afoa.

Reactions: brightman

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
28 mins, 68 metres, 29 tackles

Looked sound defensively and always looked busy. Looked as tho he would always fall into the tackle instead of trying to get post contact metres. POS said he was by far the best attacking prop in Q Cup so will have to wait and see. An upgrade on Lisone

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
One thing for sure at least he should be hungry to succeed. This is his last chance to make it.in the NRL.

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
He's got a good reason to put in the work after no success at other clubs.

He may warrant a mid-long term investment to adjust to and succeed in 1th grade.

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
28 mins, 68 metres, 29 tackles

Looked sound defensively and always looked busy. Looked as tho he would always fall into the tackle instead of trying to get post contact metres. POS said he was by far the best attacking prop in Q Cup so will have to wait and see. An upgrade on Lisone
Pretty good stats for 28 minutes on the pitch.

His attack will improve as he gets bled in small doses the way he was used in the game.
JBrom had a v-line on him all night and he absorbed the contact well.
Now if he can go in without dropping his shoulder he will be more of a handful to put down and gain more post contact meters.

Briton laid a good one on him from kick off.
Welcome to your new world.

Now,if we can land Murchie.
Our size and shape changes considerably.

Paasi,Blair Ah Mau,Taunoa Brown, Murchie

Last edited:

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 10, 2013
Auckland
The dude would have been overawed at the company he found himself among arriving into the indige camp.
Then arriving to the ground being a part of the buildup and then standing to face the haka.
Nek minit Bang! reality check first hitup..
Welcome to the big time dude.
Not a bad way to get blooded, a nines tournament mingling with other NRL teams then an all stars game amongst hardened players.
And a contract to boot!
At 23 he still has a couple of years to grow and develop his game so 2020 will be interesting.
Get this first season under the belt.
It's all up to you now brother
Welcome to the Warriors!

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
I saw J Brom run over him early but he looked like he will develop as ppl have said. Are we seriously going after Murchie?

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Pretty good stats for 28 minutes on the pitch.

His attack will improve as he gets bled in small doses the way he was used in the game.
JBrom had a v-line on him all night and he absorbed the contact well.
Now if he can go in without dropping his shoulder he will be more of a handful to put down and gain more post contact meters.

Briton laid a good one on him from kick off.
Welcome to your new world.

Now,if we can land Murchie.
Our size and shape changes considerably.

Paasi,Blair Ah Mau,Taunoa Brown, Murchie
Jackson frei, and katoa go into that mix as well! Sucks about Jackson frei, hope its not to bad.

Reactions: Weno

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Campbelltown Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

05 Jun

4.9 Total Avg Rating
5.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings