General Jack Murchie

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Jack Murchie (born 26 June 1997) is an Australian rugby league footballer who plays as a second-row forward for the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL.

Murchie was born in Batemans Bay, New South Wales, Australia.

His junior club was the Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs.

He represented the Australian under 23s rugby league team at the 2018 Rugby League Commonwealth Championship, where they defeated Tonga in the final 14-8 and were coached by former Queensland State of Origin and Papua New Guinea international, Adrian Leeson Ah-Mau.

In round 19 of the 2018 NRL season, Murchie made his club debut for Canberra, played at the interchange bench in the controversial 24-28 loss to Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

Murchie only made one appearance for Canberra in the 2019 NRL season which came against Manly-Warringah in round 7. Canberra would lose the match 24-20 at Brookvale Oval.

On May 21, Murchie was granted a release from Canberra Raiders to join the New Zealand Warriors on a one year deal. 9 days after joining the Warriors, Murchie made his New Zealand Warriors debut in round 3 of the 2020 NRL season against St. George Illawarra Dragons starting from the bench, in the 18–0 win.

Reactions: Off The Bench

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Jack Murchie reflects on dream season
Courtney Ward

SEPTEMBER 5 2017 - 4:55PM
Canberra Raiders' Jack Murchie. Photo: NRL PHOTOS

Canberra Raiders' Jack Murchie. Photo: NRL PHOTOS

FORMER Milton-Ulladulla Bulldog Jack Murchie has enjoyed a dream 2017 season on the rugby league field – particularly with the Canberra Raiders under 20s side.

On the back of a strong start to the season in the National Youth Competition, the 20-year-old, was named in the Junior Kangaroos side, which defeated the Junior Kiwis 46-22 at Canberra’s GIO Stadium in May.

Three weeks later, Murchie was named man of the match in the New South Wales under 20s 30-16 victory against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium in May

To cap it all off, Murchie, who also helped the Gerringong Lions win the Group 7 premiership in 2015, was this week named in the NYC team of the year.

“It was a good feeling being recognised by my peers as one of the top players in the competition,” Murchie said.

“I was also a little surprised as I wasn't sure if I'd get in to the team, knowing how many great players there were in the competition.

‘I definitely had making this team in the back of my mind as something I would like to achieve this year but I tried to focus on just playing consistent good football every week, knowing these sort of things would come off the back of that.”

2017 NYC team of the year. Photo: NRL PHOTOS

2017 NYC team of the year. Photo: NRL PHOTOS

In his 19 games for the Raiders, Murchie scored eight tries, made 217 runs for 2262 metres, had nine line-breaks, 52 tackle breaks, four try assists and made 435 tackles.

“Yes it's been an awesome year - being able to tick off some major goals along the way,” he said.

“A lot of the success I've had this year has come from the help I've been given by guys like Brett White at the Raiders, who has really helped me fine tune my game this season.

“Although I think I performed well this year but there's always something to work on.

“I believe consistency and energy in defence is what I'll need to take the next step.

“I'll keep working on both of those plus trying to add some more size on in the off-season, to help me take that next step.”

To prepare him for a potential first grade debut in the coming years, the Raiders decided that Murchie would be best served finishing the season in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW with the Mounties.

“The step up was great – I really enjoyed my time up at the Mounties,” he said.

“The physicality is a big step up from under 20s, as you are playing against men each week.”

2017 NYC team of the year:
Fullback: Kalyn Ponga (Cowboys)
Wing: Sione Katoa (Sharks)
Centre: Phillip Sami (Titans)
Centre: Jesse Ramien (Sharks)
Wing: Greg Leleisiuao (Eels)
Five-Eighth: AJ Brimson (Titans)
Halfback: Kyle Flanagan (Sharks)
Prop: Patrick Carrigan (Broncos)
Hooker: Wayde Egan (Panthers)
Prop: Payne Haas (Broncos)
Second Row: Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Second Row: Jack Murchie (Raiders)
Lock: Billy Magoulias (Sharks)
Interchange: Victor Radley (Roosters)
Interchange: Blayke Brailey (Sharks)
Interchange: Reed Izzard (Panthers)
Interchange: Jake Clifford (Cowboys)
Coach: John Morrris (Sharks)

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Sezer injury hands Murchie a keenly-anticipated debut
Scott Hazlewood NRL.com Reporter
Thu 19 Jul 2018, 12:18 PM
1591271137367.png

Stand-in Canberra captain Josh Hodgson said the side isn't letting the injuries to Jarrod Croker and Aidan Sezer upset preparations as they face another must-win game against Cronulla on Friday night.

Croker's season-ending knee surgery was further compounded by a hamstring injury suffered by Sezer during goal-kicking practice earlier in the week. Hodgson said he didn't know how long Sezer will be out for.

"Obviously Aidan Sezer being out is another big loss to our side, especially late in the piece," Hodgson said.

"We have absolutely no clue at the moment [who will kick goals], I'm tipping big Papa [Josh Papalii] or Junes [Junior Paulo], honestly nobody believes me, but they can kick goals.

"I was going to throw my name in there, but I'll stick to football."

Sezer's injury means Blake Austin moves off the bench into halfback, with Jack Murchie to make his NRL debut via the interchange bench.

The 21-year-old Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs junior has come through the Raiders system. He has already represented both New South Wales under 20s and the Junior Kangaroos.

"He's got a fantastic head on his shoulders, he's always asking what little extras he can do and what he can work in with his game," Hodgson said of the debutant.

"He's been 18th man a few times and a couple of times and been wondering if he's going to get his chance, so I'm over the moon to finally get his chance.

"It's important we do everything we can to send him off on his first NRL game with a win."

Cronulla are coming off a confidence-boosting victory over Penrith last weekend, one that was achieved without their forwards being as dominant as they have often this year.

The Sharks recorded 348 fewer run metres than Penrith last week.

Hodgson is wary of the Sharks' big men bouncing back on Friday night and ending the streak which has seen the away side win every game between the two clubs dating back to 2013.

"I thought we were outstanding in the middle last week, the effort from minute one to minute 80 was really good," he said.

"A lot of the edge defence comes from the middle, if you've got that pressure making teams play early it makes the edge's decision a hell of a lot easier.

"Aaron Woods has been a great inclusion for them, he offers them a bit of ad-lib football with his off-loads, so we've covered all bases with our video, not it's time to put it into practice."

The English international admitted the Raiders had highlighted the threat Valentine Holmes will pose to them on the edges.

Holmes is arguably in the best form of his career having scored 14 tries in the past 12 games, including a double against Penrith last weekend.

"We've looked at a few areas and he [Holmes] was one of them but it all comes down to us individually making sure we are doing our own job," Hodgson said.

"If everybody is turning up on each play there should be no reason why we make mistakes."

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Jack Murchie selected to play first NRL game of season with Canberra Raiders
Courtney Ward

APRIL 25 2019 - 1:30PM

Jack Murchie trains with the Canberra Raiders. Photo: ELESA KURTZ

Jack Murchie trains with the Canberra Raiders. Photo: ELESA KURTZ

MILTON-ULLADULLA Bulldogs product Jack Murchie will play his first NRL game of the season this Sunday, as his Canberra Raiders battle the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Lottoland.

Murchie, who played two NRL games in 2018 including his debut against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, has been rewarded for his strong form with the Mounties in the Canterbury Cup by being named on the bench for Ricky Stuart's squad.

The 21-year-old backrower has helped the Mounties sit in first place after six rounds, with five wins and a draw to their names.

He and Emre Guler come into the squad in the place of JJ Collins and Hudson Young.

"I've been really happy with my and the team's form in the Canterbury Cup this year," Murchie said.

"The club's had a great start to the year, so hopefully they can push on the rest of the season.

"Personally, I've used my time with the Mounties to add some versatility to my game, by spending time in the middle, as well as on the edge.

"I haven't played much in the middle before, so I've been learning heaps - I'm hoping this added versatility will help me moving forward."

Jack Murchie in action for the Mounties. Photo: RAIDERS MEDIA

Jack Murchie in action for the Mounties. Photo: RAIDERS MEDIA

When Murchie gets out into the play on Sunday, he hopes to be able to contribute to the Raiders building on their 5-1 start to the campaign.

"Last year it took me until round 19 to get into first grade, so to get back in there by round seven this year is great - it's shows I've grown as a player from last season," he said.

"At the start of the year, I set out to play 10 first grade games this season - I know it's a high number but I've always been one to aim big.

"Hopefully I can put my best foot forward on Sunday and hold my spot.

"My aim is to bring impact and energy off the bench, which hopefully help the team win it's sixth game of the season."

Sunday's clash with Manly will pit Murchie up against close friend Reuben Garrick, who he won a Group Seven premierships with for the Gerringong Lions in 2016.

Jack Murchie (back row, seventh from left) and Reuben Garrick (back row, third from right) celebrate their 2016 Group Seven premiership their Gerringong Lions team. Photo: DAVID HALL

Jack Murchie (back row, seventh from left) and Reuben Garrick (back row, third from right) celebrate their 2016 Group Seven premiership their Gerringong Lions team. Photo: DAVID HALL

"I'm really looking forward to playing against Reuben," he said.

"He's one of my best mates, who I've played with and against for a very long time.

"This year he's taken his opportunity at Manly with both hands and played every game this year, which is a credit to how hard he works.

"There's been a little back and forth between us this week - I'm sure there'll be a couple of chances for us give it to one another on the field.

"At the end of the day, it's great to see two South Coast boys performing on the big stage."

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Confirmed: Former Canberra Raiders forward Jack Murchie joins injury-hit Warriors on one-year deal
Mat Kermeen
17:45, May 21 2020
Former Raider Jack Murchie will play for the Warriors in 2020.

GETTY-IMAGES
Former Raider Jack Murchie will play for the Warriors in 2020.

The Warriors have secured a much-needed boost to their injury-hit engine room with Canberra's Jack Murchie signing with the club for the remainder of the season.

With the Warriors depleted stocks in the middle, 22-year-old Murchie could find himself making his Warriors debut when the club takes on the Dragons on May 30.

Warriors half Chanel Harris-Tavita confirmed the former Raiders middle-forward arrived into the Warriors camp on Wednesday night.

Jack Murchie has joined the Warriors at their Australian base.

GETTY-IMAGES
Jack Murchie has joined the Warriors at their Australian base.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said Murchie joins the squad with "an opportunity and expectation to play NRL".

Murchie trained with the Warriors at Terrigal, just east of Gosford on the Central Coast, on Thursday.

"He went well today and hopefully he can do a job for us in the middle," Harris-Tavita said.

Murchie, who was contracted to the Raiders for the remainder of the season, was first linked to a move to the Warriors in February.

He has been a highly ranked prospect but found himself stuck behind a string of established stars in the Raiders pack.

"He comes highly recommended and we look forward to giving us some depth leading into our return to the competition next week," Kearney said.

Murchie has played much of his career in the second row but standing at 193cm and tipping the scales at 108kg, he is regarded as a strong prospect in the middle.

Murchie made his NRL debut in 2018 for the Raiders and has only managed two more games since but is excited for a new start at the Warriors.

"I've played with and against a lot of the boys and I'm excited to join the squad and hopefully playing some good footy moving forward."

The Warriors most effective prop, Leeson Ah Mau, went down last Friday with a - season-ending - ruptured pectoral muscle. His injury followed the loss of two more props, Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei, who suffered season-ending injuries before the season started.

Their problems in the middle were further compounded when Jazz Tevaga suffered a knee injury on Sunday.

A former Junior Kangaroos and New South Wales 20s representative, Murchie spent time in the Roosters and Raiders junior systems.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
POS is creating some thing for us to enjoy
It took a while but it will start to pay dividens
I think the tipping point has started
No matter what happens we got talent coming through
An these guys seem to be developing something I think we
We're all concerned about .

Reactions: Fonzie and Sup42

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Everytime I read that I read 'piece of shit' as the acronym is popularly known as across the interweb. Can we at least agree to add an apostrophe PO'S???
Yeah I always have to double take and be like “who on the staff do we hate this week?” Oh yeah our recruitment guy lol

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings