General Ivan Cleary

Which is it for Ivan?

• Yes Ivan is the cause of our poor season.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No, he is not the reason we are playing so poorly.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Northern_Union

Is it time he went?

He's made a complete and absolute ass of the halves this season by letting Witt and Fien go who were our halves in a side that went bloody close to getting us to the grand final. He also gave one of the most highly rated young half backs the run around and released him mid season. We now have Stacey Jones who is struggling badely to find the form that made one of the best 7's in the world. Granted our forwards are not helping him at all but he should be giving us a lot more than he is.

JonB_old

I can't vote cos I do not think I can whole heartily say that Ivan is the problem.
I do not like his coaching style but i think he will change it. Though our last years halves got us close I do not think they could of got us there.

aussie_warrior_old

I voted yes, but with the caveat of 'It's not just the head coach, but the whole staff (including the team) that need to look at themselves'. But, at the end of the day the head coach, is the HEAD coach and has to be responsible for the results.

DanKokoro_old

haha yeah the poll is quite Bias.. but i still voted that it's his fault. Selection and signings aside, even the team we have now should look way better than they do.. I just don't know what Ivan has done to our team this yeah.. Our backline is flat, narrow. and slow. we have no dummy runners and if we do they're jogging.

Ivan should go become an assistant coach of a good attacking club so he can learn what he's not doing.

I also find his loyalty to some players, and his lack of loyalty to others truly bizarre.. and incredibly frustrating..

Last straw(s) for me were...

1) Letting Fien go and so dooming us to having Jones as HB for the rest of the season
2) Saying he hoped Jones would be staying on for 2010..

kill your...self

danco_old

Ivan doesnt select the team on his own. the tv cameras went on him last night when we had made a awful mistake and his face showed it all, If and when we cant make the top 8 he should give a few of the under 20 s experence in the nrl. Might help next year, What would have happened if Pricy wasnt playing last night?

Northern_Union

Ivan is the head coach, he gets final say on the team.

warriors4life_old

Wish there was an in-between option (being a fence-sitter here). I wouldn't say he is the cause of our poor season but there's no doubt as head coach he has been a major factor.

One of my main issues with him is his conservative gameplan, trying to coach a no frills brand of football with emphasis on completing sets rather than looking to throw the ball around and break the line. Ivan was playing in the 2001/02 sides, you would think he of all people would remember the Warriors style of play back then and the success we had and look to emulate it.

I think another major issue with this season that has been mentioned is player recruitment, although you can hardly solely attribute the blame to Cleary there. However, making Fien a scapegoat after he had a slow start to the season and shafting him along with guys like Witt and Foran while keeping Jones (who wasn't much better) in on reputation is an example of poor decision-making on his behalf.

Unfortunately this team isn't going anywhere. The Warriors should have an eye to the future for our halves with guys like Johnson, John and Heremaia on the fringe yet if Jones is re-signed for 2010 we can kiss goodbye to them seeing the light of day for a while yet. And you would have to say if the Warriors are looking to re-sign Jones that decision must be majorly influenced by Cleary's opinion of him which shows nothing more than how deluded he really is.

danco_old

Ivan Clearys big mistake was getting rid of Nathan Fein, if he was crap he wouldnt be the Kiwi no7 and Wayne Bennett would have him in the Dragons, whos right??

ToiletDuck_old

If Jones is the HB in 2010 then well we may as well just all throw our weight behind the U20's...at least they're capable of scoring.

DanKokoro_old

Wish there was an in-between option (being a fence-sitter here). I wouldn't say he is the cause of our poor season but there's no doubt as head coach he has been a major factor.

One of my main issues with him is his conservative gameplan, trying to coach a no frills brand of football with emphasis on completing sets rather than looking to throw the ball around and break the line. Ivan was playing in the 2001/02 sides, you would think he of all people would remember the Warriors style of play back then and the success we had and look to emulate it.

I think another major issue with this season that has been mentioned is player recruitment, although you can hardly solely attribute the blame to Cleary there. However, making Fien a scapegoat after he had a slow start to the season and shafting him along with guys like Witt and Foran while keeping Jones (who wasn't much better) in on reputation is an example of poor decision-making on his behalf.

Unfortunately this team isn't going anywhere. The Warriors should have an eye to the future for our halves with guys like Johnson, John and Heremaia on the fringe yet if Jones is re-signed for 2010 we can kiss goodbye to them seeing the light of day for a while yet. And you would have to say if the Warriors are looking to re-sign Jones that decision must be majorly influenced by Cleary's opinion of him which shows nothing more than how deluded he really is.

Yup well said.. It was interesting to read Graham Lowes article a few weeks back when he was talking about the merits of NRL players, coaches etc listening to the opinions of fans. And i reckon he was spot on about that.. I'm not saying he should be listening to my opinion because i'm only 24, but there are peeps out there and on this forum i'm sure that have been watching the game for 20, 30, 40 years and they know the game inside and out.

The thing I dislike about Ivan the most is that he seems totally convinced that he's making the right decisions despite the overwhelming opinion of the fans to the contrary. The biggest example of this is Stacey Jones.. I was on LU and VOT to see what people thought about Stacey signing on for next year and every single poster thought that it was the WORST IDEA EVER (literally). And yet Cleary comes out saying that he's hopeful he's gonna want to stick around. That just made me want to throw up.. Not only is he once again persisting with someone who simply shouldn't be in the team and wouldn't make it close to the starting 17 of any other club, he is totally ignoring the opinions of fans. And that is just one of many decisions that fans in general have disagreed with.. It's as if he thinks he knows something that the thousands of fans don't. Someone should tell him that he doesn't.

The other thing I don't like him for is he has turned our team in to easily the most boring, unpenetrative team in the competition and yet after almost every loss he comes up with the same bullsh*t.. "we're not far off from getting it right" umm wrong Ivan.. wroooong. We have many, many, fundamental things wrong with our game and not acknowledging them is pretty much the biggest mistake he's made all year.

Warriors4life said it right.. Deluded..

DanKokoro_old

Ivan Clearys big mistake was getting rid of Nathan Fein, if he was crap he wouldnt be the Kiwi no7 and Wayne Bennett would have him in the Dragons, whos right??

My default stance is set to Ivan is wrong

Warriors2009_old

i cant just say its all the coach but some of the blame has 2 fall on the players the coach is not on the field

bigstuboy_old

yea the club are just gunna let our best coach go after giving him an extension on his deal lets put the club in more financial trouble by sacking a coach before his deal runs out.

warriors4life_old

yea the club are just gunna let our best coach go after giving him an extension on his deal lets put the club in more financial trouble by sacking a coach before his deal runs out.

Don't know how he's justified as our best coach...going on statistics Daniel Anderson and John Monie both have superior winning percentages.

I have no problem with Cleary staying on to be honest. He has taken us to the finals for the past 2 seasons and would have been the same in 2006 if not for the points deductions. However his flaws in both gameplan tactics and player recruitment have been majorly exposed this year both by the media and countless fans as DanKokoro said yet he seems pretty oblivious and the fact that he still thinks Jones is the answer and "we are almost there" is ludicrious.

Wake up Ivan, Round 17 is almost over, Jones is not up to NRL standard and it's pretty obvious he is not getting any better, if we are to have any hope of winning 7 of the 9 next games it sure as hell won't be with the same side that has won only 5 out of 15 so far.

fitzy_old

you only have to look at some of the responses he gives to some of the stuff the boys are doing out there. Some of the things the players are doing are real coach killers which I would not accept from under 13 players, let alone NRL first graders. I'm fairly sure he does not tell sam rapira to go out and only make about 4 hitups in the first half. I could go on

a.c.e_old

I hear Steve Folkes wants to come back and coach, should we put some feelers out?

bigstuboy_old

can't believe people are turning on him so badly every team had bad years wayne bennett never had the perfect record but look how loyal they stayed too him. this season will only make him work harder to improve next year this could be the kick in the guts they need . i just think ditching him now will set us back years.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings