fitzy_old

How much of how the warriors are going at the moment is down to the coach? Quite a lot I would say. Not afraid to make the tough calls, comes in with good game plans (and makes the players stick to it).
We are all too quick to bag the coach if the team is failing, but very slow to give him credit when the team is going good!

So, good on ya Ivan. You are the MAN!!!!

Bulldog_old

Claery is doing an awesome job...my one criticism, and probably undeserved - does he ever instruct Tony Martin to NOT drift in and leave his man unmarked?...it happens time and time again.

AmeriKiwi_old

My complaint about Cleary IS..... (drum roll)..... NOTHING!! NADA!! ZIP!! He`s brought the Warriors a long way in a short amount of time. The team will continue to improve under his leadership.

sebastian_old

I made a post explaining why he should stay, i'm a big fan of Cleary. The only problem i have with Ivan Cleary is that he hasn't signed long enough.

Skinny_Ravs82

sebastian said:
I made a post explaining why he should stay, i'm a big fan of Cleary. The only problem i have with Ivan Cleary is that he hasn't signed long enough.

Wasn't there word last year when he took over that whehther he'd stay it would only be determined from results and where we finish?

sebastian_old

Cleary blames himself
by: Aaron Lawton
Sportal

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has taken responsibility for his side's current form slump after agonising losses to the Sharks and Knights in recent weeks.

Heading into Sunday afternoon's clash with the in-form Tigers at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland, the second-year coach blamed himself for placing too much emphasis on structure in the past.

However, with his side desperate to return to the winners' circle after losses of two and six points respectively, Cleary says the side has learnt from its recent mistakes.

"We got into survival mode on the weekend, probably the last two weekends actually. I thought we started the Cronulla game a bit like that too," he said.

"I think it's pretty normal actually. It's a long season but at the end of the day I have to take responsibility for it."

"For the last couple of weeks, I think we have been relying too much on structure so that's my fault."

"It certainly wasn't the intention but it's been lost in translation there somewhere."

Cleary also conceded the side's impressive start to the season, which included wins over the Rabbitohs, Cowboys and Broncos, had given it a sense of overconfidence heading into rounds eight and nine.

But with back-to-back losses, the Warriors coach says his side will again have its work cut out for it with a clash against the Tigers, who have won four matches in a row.

"Maybe because we had a good start to the year, I thought if we take care of the basics the rest would take care of itself," added Cleary.

"I think it's probably been a lesson for us."

"They [the Tigers] are close to being the form team in the competition."

"They have obviously got nothing to fear at the moment because they are playing really well."

"It's another really big challenge for us."

commonsense_old

cleary is quite confusing. first he comes out says there is nothing to worry about and now he says the slump should be on his shoulders.

but i do agree the tigers are close to the form team in the comp, even without benji. hopefullly we can bring them down to earth.

BigD_old

And hes trying things in dropping Rovelli.....

"I think the kicking game's probably been a result of some other things as well. If you're not moving the defence around enough, the kicking is tough."

The losses have prompted Cleary to drop halfback Grant Rovelli, who has played the past 23 games for the Warriors, and replace him with five-eighth Michael Witt, who returns from suspension this week.

"I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it was going to be successful but I just think we just need a little bit of a change, that's all," Cleary said.

"It's a long year and we've worked hard to get a little bit of depth. I guess in the back of my mind I've always wanted to look at this half and five-eighth combination (Witt and Jerome Ropati) and now is as good a time as any to try it."

Though he expected Rovelli to return later this season, Cleary said it was also up to the team not to put too much pressure on the halves.

"I think a lot of halves have gone backwards in the game where too much has been put on them too early and I suppose Michael Witt might be an example of that at past clubs."

Also out of the team this week is captain Steven Price, who has been selected for the Queensland State of Origin team.

The Warriors had a good record last season in matches Price missed due to Origin commitments but Cleary said the skipper would be missed.

"He's a huge loss. You can't say he's not," he said.

"But sometimes you can get a little bit comfortable when you've got a leader like Pricey who's playing so well, sometimes it's just easier to hang in his wake a little bit.

"Him not being there means everyone else has got to step up that little bit more and maybe that's a positive for us."

MiXmasterreece_old

Bloody finally.

Cleary calls for more flair from Warriors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/4063124a1823.html
For years the Warriors have been criticised for being too adventurous in their rugby league. Now their coach is blaming himself for making them too structured.
Coach Ivan Cleary says the Warriors have been guilty of being too structured and waiting for things to happen in their last two National Rugby League matches and hopes they can show more flair against the Wests Tigers in Auckland on Sunday.

He says the over-patterned strategy played a part in the team's defeat to the Cronulla Sharks in an error-ridden match two weeks ago and a loss to the Newcastle Knights last Saturday after leading by 12 points with 13 minutes to play.

"In the last couple of weeks we've been relying too much on structure, and that's my fault," he said.

"It certainly wasn't the intention but it's been lost in translation there somewhere. Maybe because we had a good start to the year we thought that if we just took care of the basics - and we did talk about it a bit - the rest would take care of itself.
"It's probably been a bit of a lesson for us - on the weekend we just played survival mode and they were just climbing all over us and in the end fortune favoured the brave and they got up."

A lack of adventure had also resulted in a less than successful kicking game and a high defensive workload.

"We made something like 420 tackles against the Sharks... and we've probably only got ourselves to blame because of the way we've played. It's a long enough season as it is and if you're going to do that every week it becomes longer," he said.
"I think the kicking game's probably been a result of some other things as well. If you're not moving the defence around enough, the kicking is tough."

The losses have prompted Cleary to drop halfback Grant Rovelli, who has played the past 23 games for the Warriors, and replace him with five-eighth Michael Witt, who returns from suspension this week.

"I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it was going to be successful but I just think we just need a little bit of a change, that's all," Cleary said.

"It's a long year and we've worked hard to get a little bit of depth. I guess in the back of my mind I've always wanted to look at this half and five-eighth combination (Witt and Jerome Ropati) and now is as good a time as any to try it."

Though he expected Rovelli to return later this season, Cleary said it was also up to the team not to put too much pressure on the halves.

"I think a lot of halves have gone backwards in the game where too much has been put on them too early and I suppose Michael Witt might be an example of that at past clubs."
Also out of the team this week is captain Steven Price, who has been selected for the Queensland State of Origin team.

The Warriors had a good record last season in matches Price missed due to Origin commitments but Cleary said the skipper would be missed.
"He's a huge loss. You can't say he's not," he said.

"But sometimes you can get a little bit comfortable when you've got a leader like Pricey who's playing so well, sometimes it's just easier to hang in his wake a little bit.
"Him not being there means everyone else has got to step up that little bit more and maybe that's a positive for us."

Fobin_Hood_old

If Cleary wants flair, hes going to have to start giving some debuts and call ups to some of those youngsters playing PL. We already know who they are.

Skinny_Ravs82

Perhaps so, I think it's easy to use this is a outlet to say 'get those other blokes in' I just don't think 'getting them in' is enough. It's fine if you wanna put some flair and that sort in but you still have to have your smarts about you

Jesbass_old

If Cleary wants flair, hes going to have to start giving some debuts and call ups to some of those youngsters playing PL. We already know who they are.

That's not true. We have plenty of flair in our current first grade squad. It has just been stifled somewhat by too much structure.

-Dr.J-_old

You can split em up like this...

HAS FLAIR

WADE McKINNON
MANU VATUVEI
NATHAN FIEN
SONNY FAI

HAS FLAIR POTENTIAL WE WANNA SEE MORE OF

PATRICK AH VAN
TONY MARTIN
SIMON MANNERING
JEROME ROPATI
MICHAEL WITT
RUBEN WIKI (c)
SAM RAPIRA
LOUIS ANDERSON
LANCE HOHAIA
EPALAHAME LAUAKI
EVARN TUIMAVAVE

WHERE FLAIR GOES TO DIE

LOGAN SWANN
MICHEAL LUCK
COREY LAWRIE

...So we have a chance to see a bit more out of a decent number of our dudes....

We wanna see at least 9 items of flair!

awww.thecobrasnose.com_images3_OSflaircralt.jpg

Kav_old

You can split em up like this...

HAS FLAIR

WADE McKINNON
MANU VATUVEI
NATHAN FIEN
SONNY FAI

HAS FLAIR POTENTIAL WE WANNA SEE MORE OF

PATRICK AH VAN
TONY MARTIN
SIMON MANNERING
JEROME ROPATI
MICHAEL WITT
RUBEN WIKI (c)
SAM RAPIRA
LOUIS ANDERSON
LANCE HOHAIA
EPALAHAME LAUAKI
EVARN TUIMAVAVE

WHERE FLAIR GOES TO DIE

LOGAN SWANN
MICHEAL LUCK
COREY LAWRIE

...So we have a chance to see a bit more out of a decent number of our dudes....

We wanna see at least 9 items of flair!

OSflaircralt.jpg

A ggod analysis, Dr J but I would not put Matu Vatuvei in the "has/showing flair" category. He is a "run over your opponent" type winger (and under-achieving this season) rather than one who shows fancy footwork or special skills. I would also suggest that both Witt and Ropati have shown "flair" in the opportunities given them this season but you go only do so much if the rest of the team are somewhat robotic in their attack.

Kav

Attachments

• awww.thecobrasnose.com_images3_OSflaircralt.jpg
    awww.thecobrasnose.com_images3_OSflaircralt.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4

Skinny_Ravs82

LOL interesting analysis you put up there Dr.J

Dare I say, it is a prescription you need to put down for the Warriors ;)