fiamacho_old

I gave the man an "A" after Tony Kmpe and Watson left he has grabbed the club by the scruff of the neck and turned it around.

The Team is playing with more structure and cohesion and he is bringing through the young talented locals that we have a lot of here.

***EDIT***

one-eyed-warrior_old

I gave him a B. Hes pulling down the house and building it up from the foundations. He looks to be on the right track now. I reckon give him three years to make the top 6, top eight is nothing, gotta be top 6 to really be in with a chance. 8 and 7 usually get dicked first game.

commonsense_old

i was one of the ppl who gave ivan a C.

im not pessimistic or nothing but honestly he doesnt deserve an A or a B. YET ANYWAY...

an A coach would go to someone like graham murray or craig bellamy. theyve done something special with their teams. u can add steve folkes to that list too. michael hagan and brian smith are B coaches... they have been pretty consistent over the seasons.

yeh i know cleary has been givin a -4 handicap. but that doesnt mean he deserves an A. George W Bush got into presidency with a war to start his campaign and needless to say that guy doesnt deserve an A for his leadership.

ivan has done OK i think. he has brought up some new talent. something that tony kemp didnt do. but he has many too many errors in judgement. for eg fien at halfback, sione at 5/8th, putting players out of position such as tony martin at winger, koopu at centre.
but good thing about him is that he bit the bullet and admit to his mistakes. putting rovelli at halfback was one of the better moves he has done all season. but he still has an error in judgement when it comes to selection. until he pull ropati out of the no 6 jersey i cannot say he is doin a wonderful job. i dont want to hear that we have no one to play that position. lance hohaia can play in there. or u put rovelli there and lance in the no7.

like warriors4life said 6 wins from 14 games doesnt really warrant a A/B rating.

iceman_old

...I can only go by results so far because it is impossible for me to watch every minute of every game live. That being said, unlike a lot of 'experts' on this site, I know a little bit about league. Barely a C to be honest...The boy should be still learning his trade in reserve grade...not experimenting/toying with the Warriors. 'beep', look at our results and the table!

***EDIT***

AmeriKiwi_old

I`m not convinced at all that Cleary made any errors in judgement by switching players around earlier this season... I think he was simply experimenting and testing the waters to see how well players were able to adapt to different positions on the field.
It`s too early to rate Cleary yet... they`re just finding their groove and the remaining games of the 2006 season will tell us a lot more about his coaching abilities, as will next year.

danielspencer2_old

Ivan is the best coach ever.

We are going to win the grand final this year damn it. Have some faith!!!!!

It was the players fault they were not winning earlier in the season. Not ivan's.

Good luck ivan , and please bring back Georige gatis to the warriors bench for backup hooker. U bought him all the way from aussie. He sholdn't be playing in batercard cup!

Iafeta_old

I've given him an A.

Firstly, I think you need to analyse the loss of 4 points. The player's have said the coach has told them not to even look at the table. It'd be quite demotivating for them if they did, and so for that, I think he's spot on.

There are improvements...

* Willingness to make difficult selections
* Willing to adapt plans
* I think we've got a halfback with vision, Stacey was great but I don't know if he had enormous vision he was just amazingly skilled and deft
* He's helped develop a lot of players into better players this year including Mannering and Tuimavave
* He's remained committed to the young players
* It doesn't appear like there's a culture at the moment of player's having enough and wanting out, which is great

I think in general the club has looked to make improvements aimed at the long term success of the club. I think previous management was short sighted and naiive, and as a result had to panic. So I have to give credit from Scurrah through to the coaching staff etc. It's a wide process that's got so much better.

Samoan Souljah_old

He has been abit up and down but he will get alot better ... this being his 1st season as coach he has done really well ...

commonsense_old

dont get me wrong. i think cleary has what it takes to be a great coach. just at this moment his performance doesnt warrant a high grade.

Jesbass_old

A few posts were removed from this thread because people couldn't stay on topic and wanted to throw personal insults instead. Thank you for editing your last post, Mix.

IanS_old

I gave him a C.

Warriors are near the bottom of the table and have only won 6 games. Good on him for bringing theough youngsters, but its results on the board that matter.

If we finish in 10th place I'd give him a B because I thought this team would finish around 12th-13th.

iceman_old

...your sane assessments are not welcome here. MODERATORS!!! but seriously, I agree with you. C for now but can only improve...

sebastian_old

Iafeta said:
I've given him an A.

Firstly, I think you need to analyse the loss of 4 points. The player's have said the coach has told them not to even look at the table. It'd be quite demotivating for them if they did, and so for that, I think he's spot on.

There are improvements...

* Willingness to make difficult selections
* Willing to adapt plans
* I think we've got a halfback with vision, Stacey was great but I don't know if he had enormous vision he was just amazingly skilled and deft
* He's helped develop a lot of players into better players this year including Mannering and Tuimavave* He's remained committed to the young players
* It doesn't appear like there's a culture at the moment of player's having enough and wanting out, which is great

I think in general the club has looked to make improvements aimed at the long term success of the club. I think previous management was short sighted and naiive, and as a result had to panic. So I have to give credit from Scurrah through to the coaching staff etc. It's a wide process that's got so much better.

How fricken good has evarn got, jesus he was hopeless last year, couldn't crush a grape. Now hes pushing wiki & price for there spots, outstanding!!

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

ive rated him at B-, hes not doing a bad job nor a good 1 either, next year i reckon he will come to lite

Kaiaua krusher_old

I said early on that it would take Ivan 2/3 years to get the team up as serious and consistent contenders. I still think he is the guy for the job, impervious to adverse comments, single minded and determined, but best of all committed to his role with no baggage and is not afraid to admit mistakes and not blame losses on game plans with all the old cliches.. You could see the friction between him and Kempie last year. I don't agree with all his decisions, and these have been well documented, but he has imposed his vision on the team, brought them back to earth and is finally getting them to play as a team and not be dependant on one or two guys to get us through. I applaud the fact that he has, in my opinion, left the go to player scenario in the icebin of 2005. He is changing the culture for the better.

The team is confident, not arrogant and in my contact with team members they reinforce that there is a good feeling in the squad. Ivan gets an "A" for this.

The guy is still learning and overall he is heading in the right direction and local grassroots players will have a good environment to come into.

Worth a "C" right now but let's talk about it in September.

AmeriKiwi_old

Very well said, KK... I agree entirely with your entire post. Ivan`s done wonders in the short time he`s been here and it`s easy to see his formula for building a winning team is working according to plan.