Staff Ivan Cleary

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
What if Cleary stayed? - We would have won at least one premiership if not 2 or 3 after

What if the Warriors won the premiership in 2002? We would have won it again a few years later

What if the Warriors won the premiership in 2011? We would have won it again a few years later

What if the Warriors didn't get caught cheating the cap and docked 2 points in 2006? We would have made the finals and made a statement.

What if the Warriors didn't get docked 2 points for a interchange violation in 1995? We would have made the finals and made a statement saying the Warriors are here to play and not to be made fun of.
Disagree with most of that

Cleary was on the outer before he had that miracle run into the gf, the consensus was he could get you consistent but that next level, this would follow him and get him moved on from Panthers the first time and Tigers where he had the same problem. 2011 we had a bit of luck and form, we weren’t an amazing squad. It still took Cleary another decade with better squads to get there.

2002 really was our best chance we had unlocked the formula on how to play, inexperience and the Fitler incident cost us., 2003 was our next best shot but got a bit cocky after demolishing the Bulldogs and got ambushed by Penrith.

2006 i don’t think was anything to write home historically.

95 was a travesty, we should have made the finals and some much needed confidence and belief.

Cant focus on what if’s it doesn’t do any good, what happened has happened and circumstances don’t always line up

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Dont agree with you all the time Bruce but I knew John Hart reasonably well.Played rugby & cricket with him at MRGS.Havent been in touch for many years however he (IMO) bought some stability to the Warriors back room.Was a little strange but when he knew your abilities he would go into bat for you.He was actually a very good wicket keeper .His brother was a good hooker.At the same time iirc was another hooker who was to be an All Black Ron Urlich .My memorising is over for now .Until my next wettie :)
I wasn't criticising his ability at all, just the opposite. However he clearly did not get on with the old boys club, that is all I was saying. I guess he didn't think he had to, actually neither should he have, but that is what I think happened.

Reactions: matiunz and Defence

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I wasn't criticising his ability at all, just the opposite. However he clearly did not get on with the old boys club, that is all I was saying. I guess he didn't think he had to, actually neither should he have, but that is what I think happened.
Sorry mate. Wasn't being critical. Probably explained it wrong. I sent him an email at the time hoping he would stay on. Would have been a much better backup than Graham Henry IMO

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Sorry mate. Wasn't being critical. Probably explained it wrong. I sent him an email at the time hoping he would stay on. Would have been a much better backup than Graham Henry IMO
I have mates who played under Hart. They saw it the same was as me. The thing was it was a successful partnership, the jersey salesman is just a dick.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings