Staff Ivan Cleary

blcu2003

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 8, 2013
Last game of the season for Penrith & away from home with nothing to play for but pride,.... and they put Manly to the sword 38-26. They now finish ahead of the Warrors @ 10th place..

I dont know if it was Ivan Cleary (i suspect he had a lot to do with it), but the attitude amongst the Panther players today was outstanding. They were hungry for the win and really took it to Manly. Well done Ivan Cleary. You've done amazing things for that club this year. And with the limited resources available. Next year this Penrith outfit will be playing finals footy. No doubt about it.

So the obvious question that now must be asked, would our situation be any different if we hadnt let Cleary go? I know its a question we can debate until the cows come home but I honestly feel if he was still here, without a doubt we would be playing finals football next week. I think the thing that hurts the most, is that Cleary was happy to stay at the Warriors. He got us to a grand final and was finally getting through to the boys. Yet for whatever ridiculous reason, Scurrah and his mob told Cleary to look around in the market to test his value. They were happy to see him and John Hart go. Unbelieveable. All that hard work he did building the club up, only for it to get torn down in the space of one season was heart breaking to watch. And two's years later, we're still langushing at the bottom half of the table.

So was losing Ivan Cleary & John Hart the biggest mistake in the clubs history ? - in my view - absolutely without a doubt - YES.

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 28, 2012
Last game of the season for Penrith & away from home with nothing to play for but pride,.... and they put Manly to the sword 38-26. They now finish ahead of the Warrors @ 10th place..

I dont know if it was Ivan Cleary (i suspect he had a lot to do with it), but the attitude amongst the Panther players today was outstanding. They were hungry for the win and really took it to Manly. Well done Ivan Cleary. You've done amazing things for that club this year. And with the limited resources available. Next year this Penrith outfit will be playing finals footy. No doubt about it.

So the obvious question that now must be asked, would our situation be any different if we hadnt let Cleary go? I know its a question we can debate until the cows come home but I honestly feel if he was still here, without a doubt we would be playing finals football next week. I think the thing that hurts the most, is that Cleary was happy to stay at the Warriors. He got us to a grand final and was finally getting through to the boys. Yet for whatever ridiculous reason, Scurrah and his mob told Cleary to look around in the market to test his value. They were happy to see him and John Hart go. Unbelieveable. All that hard work he did building the club up, only for it to get torn down in the space of one season was heart breaking to watch. And two's years later, we're still langushing at the bottom half of the table.

So was losing Ivan Cleary & John Hart the biggest mistake in the clubs history ? - in my view - absolutely without a doubt - YES.
I don't know about biggest mistake in the club's history, but your point about Cleary is an interesting one. Obviously, some fans didn't like him, others did. I'm one of the latter. I liked his no-nonsense, straight-up style. On top of that, in the 6 full seasons he was in charge, he took us to the finals 4 times, including a GF. The last year of his reign, we made the GF in all three grades. That's not all Ivan, obviously, but my point is that as a Club, under his leadership, we had enjoyed success and built a solid platform for future success. What has the case been since he left? Granted, some of what's gone wrong could probably also be placed at his feet, but if the question is would we be where we are now if he was still our coach... based on his results and his tough style of coaching (not like everyone's best friend, Bluey, or silver lining ME), I'd have to say no, we wouldn't. Change is only worthwhile when it's change for the better. I'd love to know what the motivation for a post-Cleary era was, and what the vision (if any) was.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I think the biggest mistake the club made was appointing Bluey. Sure, we all thought it sounded good and the time, but it turned out to be a HORRIBLE mistake. I'd even go as far as saying we'd have made the 8 this year (and maybe last) if Elliot had taken the reins straight after Cleary. The team isn't where it needs to be just yet, but there have been a lot of positive signs over the course of the year. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll make the 8 next year, with the top 4 a faint possibility if Tompkins goes beast mode.

Reactions: gREVUS and Xfactor

Trailrider

U20's Player
Jul 22, 2012
Note sure if it was the biggest mistake but losing Cleary was obviously a very big set back. We went from the grand final to playing abysmally under Bluey then only somewhat better this year. And Clearly has clearly outperformed ME too. He's taken a weaker roster than we have, beaten us twice this year, finished ahead of us on the table and beaten a top four team in the final round whereas we lost to the Dragons. I think we'd be doing a lot better if Cleary had stayed.

Appointing a coach is one of the most difficult things an NRL club has to do. Common sense says if you've got one that's working you don't let him go. But Scurrah decided to take a big fuck'n gamble and it didn't work. He should've been fired for incompotence.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hart it seems was a loss

Cleary I will stay out of that debate till Elliot wins a GF ( not an Ivan Fan but Elliot has some ground to make up ).

Biggest mistake ?

No way.

In the history of the Warriors they have never managed to play two champion halves that compliment each other

Henry Paul and Stacey Jones played back yard footy against each other as kids and their mums were friends.

That is the Warriors biggest mistake ever.

Secound biggest mistake was not throwing a big Fisiahi like offer at Ruben Wiki , one of NZ's Ten greatest ever Players , Top fiver in the Modern era.

Third biggest Mistake :

Making Simon Mannering Captain instead of co Captain under Steve Price.

Warriors best ever decisions ?

1) Scouting Stacey Jones

2) Finding Daniel Anderson

3) Selling half the club to Owen Glenn ( potential to be realised watch this space )

4 ) Signing Kevin Campion

5) Signing Sam Tomkins

6) Signing Steve Price

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
They were prone to inexplicable meltdowns and not showing up for games under Ivan too. The first game in the 2011 finals game against the broncos springs to mind.

As stated the real idiocy was deciding they needed a kiwi coach to take them to the next level. ME's reign has been a mixed bag but next year will be a better measure if the two. If Ivan can get Soward and Wallace firing as a halves combo, maybe he is the messiah, I don't think the panthers will be much better than they are now Tbh. Of course the warriors might not be either!

Reactions: snake77

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hart it seems was a loss

Cleary I will stay out of that debate till Elliot wins a GF ( not an Ivan Fan but Elliot has some ground to make up ).

Biggest mistake ?

No way.

In the history of the Warriors they have never managed to play two champion halves that compliment each other

Henry Paul and Stacey Jones played back yard footy against each other as kids and their mums were friends.

That is the Warriors biggest mistake ever.

Secound biggest mistake was not throwing a big Fisiahi like offer at Ruben Wiki , one of NZ's Ten greatest ever Players , Top fiver in the Modern era.

Third biggest Mistake :

Making Simon Mannering Captain instead of co Captain under Steve Price.

Warriors best ever decisions ?

1) Scouting Stacey Jones

2) Finding Daniel Anderson

3) Selling half the club to Owen Glenn ( potential to be realised watch this space )

4 ) Signing Kevin Campion

5) Signing Sam Tomkins

6) Signing Steve Price
id put losing ali lauititi on that list. the guy was perhaps the warriors best player at the time, definitely the best forward in the comp. he was the spark that kept the machine running, with his abillty to offload, good hands and a physical presence

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
id put losing ali lauititi on that list. the guy was perhaps the warriors best player at the time, definitely the best forward in the comp. he was the spark that kept the machine running, with his abillty to offload, good hands and a physical presence
Yes.

I forgot Ali. Isn't funny how in this era they made all that hype nonsense about SBW.....when SBW himself admitted that the only player in the world he ever tried to be like was Ali

edd

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013

Our boys didn't find top form until after Cleary was sacked.... The panthers are finishing 10th this season, so I can't see how he is a legend of a coach.... A good friend to be sure, but not a legend of a coach..

What are we? A fricken social footy club or a first grade NRL outfit...

Reactions: smc and Moz

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I've got no problem with people being friends with each other. But when the crew start dragging the team around the garden path I get antsy...

Eh?
Haha sorry bro Ive got no idea what your talking about or how it relates to losing cleary?

edd

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
Eh?
Haha sorry bro Ive got no idea what your talking about or how it relates to losing cleary?
He was one of the crew... He gets fired and we suddenly start playing strong defense that gets us into the GF... Sounds like spite to me...

Why didn't we play that way from the word go with Cleary?

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
He was one of the crew... He gets fired and we suddenly start playing strong defense that gets us into the GF... Sounds like spite to me...

Why didn't we play that way from the word go with Cleary?

Ok got ya.
Don't know -although the way i remember it our defence was pretty good all year- it was the attack that clicked into gear late In the year ( stats may probe me wrong there?) our attitude always seemed better on defence under cleary- ( again stats may prove me wrong but) I'd be suprised if we conceded more points in any of the cleary years than we have in the last two - ESP his last couple of years- I thought he had them defending well

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings