General Ivan Cleary set to bid early farewell to Warriors

edguy_old

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/5204621/Ivan-Cleary-set-to-bid-early-farewell-to-Warriors

Ivan Cleary is likely to announce as early as today that he's standing down as Warriors coach at season's end.

It is understood the club is planning a media conference at Mt Smart, possibly this afternoon, where it's thought they will confirm that Cleary is to quit as the club's coach, one year before his contract expires.

Several well-placed sources said last night they understood Cleary had agreed to stand down, but with just nine regular season games to go and the Warriors in finals contention, it's unlikely he would go before the end of the season.

Penrith remains the most likely destination for Cleary, the longest-serving coach in Warriors' history.

It is understood that while Cleary and football director John Hart remain close, relations between the coach and some club management have soured somewhat since Cleary was not offered an extended contract after the club were alerted earlier this month to Penrith's interest in him.

While Cleary initially pledged his loyalty to the Warriors, the uncertainty over his long-term future may have tipped the balance towards the Panthers, whose new director of football, Phil Gould, coached Cleary as a player and has been a long-term admirer, once describing Cleary as "the sort of bloke you would let marry your daughter".

It's thought that the Warriors won't be ready to name a successor for Cleary, although the two front-running candidates remain his highly-regarded assistant, Tony Iro, and the former Kiwis coach Brian McClennan, now working for the Auckland Rugby League but with a release clause in his contract.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah refused all comment, saying he "couldn't talk", while Hart and McClennan didn't return calls.

Back in June, Scurrah said Cleary would see out his contract, and Cleary also maintained he was going nowhere, saying: "I am contracted here until the end of 2012. I am looking forward to fulfilling that contract."

Cleary played 186 first grade games for Manly, Norths, the Roosters and the Warriors, with the final match of his career being their 2002 grand final defeat by the Roosters.

He rejoined the Roosters as reserve-grade coach, before becoming assistant to Warriors coach Tony Kemp in 2005, then replacing Kemp as head coach a year later. His best season was 2008, where the Warriors got within 80 minutes of the grand final.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy

Last edited by a moderator:

edguy_old

awesome news...one thing i have maintained thru the years of clearys coaching is that he played favourites with out of form players.in this day and age of all the nrl teams being so close that one bloke having a shocker each week costed us games..ie ropo , and rubes ,a few years back , manu currently ,obviously its not just most of us that hes fallen out of favour with..seems the players have switched off him too ?
possibly the fish locke inu conspiracy was his down fall ?

good luck at penrith ivan
so long farewell auf wiedersehen goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:

edguy_old

you guys are a bit slow off the mark this morning .. i thought this thread would be bombarded by now..lol .. with happyness and sorrow

MiXmasterreece_old

No announcement will be forthcoming about a replacement yet.

However we ARE talking to more than just Tony Iro (which is a BIG surprise, but doesnt mean that Iro still wont land up coaching.).

From what Ive heard the press conference may have been brought forward to this morning to avoid further speculation.

Cleary IS keen to head back to Sydney ASAP, but our last position that I head about on Monday was to release him on the condition that he sees out the year.

Let this be a lesson to those who last week took Scurrah's "Everything is fine, Cleary is staying" press release as gospel - everything is not always as it seems in the world of public relations. This was always going to be announced during a bye week to avoid distraction.

RRG_old

Any word on who else we are talking to mix?

danpatmac_old

Now let's hope Ivan keeps his greasy mitts off our playing stocks.

If he takes any of the following I shall become the biggest Cleary hater in history:

Johnson
Locke
John
Fisiahi
Matulino
Godinet
Gavet
Packer
Rapira snr
Manu
Taylor
Ta'ai
Mateo
Mara

The rest I can live without.

David James_old

I will always appreciate what Cleary has done for us. I also feel he has been very good for the club.

I can understand why he would want to go to Penrith if we weren't extending him, and why we don't want to extend him until we know how the year pans out.

Bluey is still the coach that I want, Iro has earned a shot at it, but Bluey is an evil genius, and most of all emotional, I want Sky to cut to our coaches box and see someone who "looks" like they give a damn.

Jesbass_old

Somehow, I managed to trigger this article. I was only talking about what I thought was public knowledge, but there you go!

Jesbass_old

No announcement will be forthcoming about a replacement yet.

However we ARE talking to more than just Tony Iro (which is a BIG surprise, but doesnt mean that Iro still wont land up coaching.).

From what Ive heard the press conference may have been brought forward to this morning to avoid further speculation.

Cleary IS keen to head back to Sydney ASAP, but our last position that I head about on Monday was to release him on the condition that he sees out the year.

Let this be a lesson to those who last week took Scurrah's "Everything is fine, Cleary is staying" press release as gospel - everything is not always as it seems in the world of public relations. This was always going to be announced during a bye week to avoid distraction.

1. Yep, it's at 10:30.

2. Yep, I'd heard that too - just didn't want to believe it.

RRG_old

Now let's hope Ivan keeps his greasy mitts off our playing stocks
I wouldn't mind if he takes Maloney. Despite the denials I still get the feeling that like cleary he doesn't want to be here

LordGnome_old

I wouldn't mind if he takes Maloney. Despite the denials I still get the feeling that like cleary he doesn't want to be here

I would like a coach to build us a team around John, Johnston, Tuimavarve etc.

Maloney has been both mud and pony this year to date - no loss to us in the long term.

facefacts_old

Maybe maloneys reason for not wanting to be here, is announcing he's leaving at 10:30?

danpatmac_old

I can't help but feel like we are seen as somewhere to finish or start your career, but your best years shouldn't be at the Warriors.

a.c.e_old

I feel numb someone pinch me.

ai625.photobucket.com_albums_tt331_E000theURG_Niketalk_20GIF_BlackManThongSlapped.gif

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings