General Ivan Cleary Newsflash

mrblonde_old

A Sunday paper has breathlessly - as breathlessly as you can on paper - reported that Ivan Cleary will be sacked at the end of the year of the Warriors fail to make the finals.

Gee, there's a newsflash....not!!

Northern_Union

It had to happen. You can't just let the same old rubbish get trotted out all the time. Iafeta mentioned in a post yesterday how aimless the team looks, second rowers not knowing where to run, props not knowing where or when to run. You had that god aweful game plan the side played to last season as well. And a late season push papered over alot of cracks in 08.

Jesbass_old

Hasn't that been the expectation all year? That returning to the finals is the expectation?

Hey NU, speaking of posts yesterday...where'd they go?

Northern_Union

Hey NU, speaking of posts yesterday...where'd they go?

Where did yesterdays posts go? How do you mean? I did notice that the forum died completely yesterday about an hour after the game but i figured that people were to pissed off to bother posting.

PB_old

Where did yesterdays posts go? How do you mean? I did notice that the forum died completely yesterday about an hour after the game but i figured that people were to pissed off to bother posting.

Looked like a bit of data got lost but actually just reordered. Posts that stuck went skewiff. PMs went down too. Had a 19,999 second (5h 55m) timeout between PMs but wouldn't let you send the first one. Was interesting.

Northern_Union

Thats odd. I'd suggest that that is a mySQL error, which is a search, fetch and database issue. I'll let EF know when he is online next.

Jesbass_old

It'll be interesting to see how Ivan goes with a full squad of first choice players. We should (hopefully) bounce back a bit.

PB_old

It'll be interesting to see how Ivan goes with a full squad of first choice players. We should (hopefully) bounce back a bit.

Should do. It would be strange if there wasn't a psychological lift when 4 guys with 600 NRL games between them return. And that's the best time to blood new players (if they are still needed). And that's not counting Lillyman. You can crank it up to about 700 then.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrblonde_old

Putting into figures like Polar Bob did shows how much experience we don't have.

Take last night's time:
Tapou - 3 games
Ah Van - 50-60 bracket
Maloney - 10-20 bracket

Not taking into account players number of games where they actually played in the position they played in last night.

Maybe we can lobby the NRL to only take into account second half performances....

teariki_old

which sunday paper?

Sunday Star-Times. Didn't Cleary re-sign last year for a three-year extension on his contract? I'd say that his current contract is based on a year-by-year review and not an ironclad three-year stint without fear of dismissal.

Iafeta_old

I'd say his contract has performance criteria in it which would allow the club to repudiate, with some sort of pay out I'm sure negotiated into it, his agreement.

danco_old

Dont blame the coach for a pack of time no confidence losers,

Iafeta_old

Danco, I would point out firstly that Cleary is a key component in putting together that squad. Secondly, I would also like to point out that a number of these players won the World Cup, and furthermore, have in Four Nations comps competed with the Kangas on some occasions. I don't see them as being a pack of losers, I see them as a group of individuals playing without a team structure.

playdaball_old

If Cleary does go who would tye Warriors look to appoint?

Iro - probably still not ready - could be another Kemp

McClennan - same article said that he'd signed on for Leeds

Perhaps an Aussie from ESL wanting to return to the NRL - Matterson, Walters or Brown?Still no better than Mr Cleary

An ex NRL coach wanting another shot - Fittler, Taylor, Murray etc

An unknown coach such as Daniel Anderson or a reserve grade coach

Kearney - ?

I'd like to see an Aussie or somebody involved with a decent NRL club who could attract players

kiwi's 13-6_old

seems fair to me no finals no coaching gig! his recruitment and player retentions has been shit the whole stacey jones comeback thing sacking witt and fien!
letting ervan tuimavavae go and signing lattimore!

brian mclennan 2011 warriors coach?.

i read somewhere that across all pro sports proven that older experienced coaches win more competitions! people like tony kemp, ivan cleary, nathan brown and jason taylor go to show what you get when you let a ex player walk straigh into a coaching job! without doing a long apprenticeship

Northern_Union

Yeah Cleary's retention is a real sticking point for me. It's hard to find a worse retention record that Cleary and the Warriors of the last 3 seasons.

Iafeta_old

In fairness, to counteract that the administration has been very quick to secure young up and coming players to long term deals. Rapira, Packer, Locke and at the time Sonny Fai were winners from this.

He's been the coach since 2006, these are the first graders who have left in that time:

Leeson Ah Mau - I don't know what choice they had here, as I understand it Leeson was amping to get his brother here, who was a Broncos reject.
Louis Anderson - his on field discipline had become a major problem
Todd Byrne - came over with Ivan to filful a short term role really
Michael Crockett - could certainly score a try, but too short in the modern day game of exposing wingers to high cross field kicks
Sione Faumuina - twit
Nathan Fien - the whole thing was messy, not healthy for the club in the way they handled this
George Gatis - wanted to try his luck in the UK, gutsy little player
Awen Guttenbeil - Big fan of Awen's, but he wanted that one last pay day in the UK
Stacey Jones - Retired
Denan Kemp - if you don't pass the bloke the football, he can't be a factor
Aidan Kirk - came over with IVan and did a reasonable job, but really was only a fringe first grader after his bad knee injury. Before his first bad knee injury he had a lot of wraps on him
Wairangi Koopu - seemed to be physically tiring
Epalahame Lauaki - I call it Matulino syndrome - we don't produce tactics that allow big mothers like Lauaki/Matulino to hit gaps
Corey Lawrie - only a fringe first grader
Tony Martin - fringe first grade quality, good goal kicker but
Daniel O'Regan - not real sure what happened here, was Dan signed to a first grade contract with Melbourne..??? Because they sure couldn't afford to do it if they did!
Grant Rovelli - not handled particularly professionally, but has since proved with NQLD that he's not up to it
Ryan Shortland - knee was shot
Malo Solomona - no one has picked him up since... strange, he wasn't the worst winger going around
Logan Swann - retired
Misi Taulapapa - alcholic
Clinton Toopi - badly needed a change of scene
Evarn Tuimavave - fair cop, he was one of my favourites. However, I wonder whether that one test cap he accrued bumped his value up? Also, the risk of his neck probably left them feeling uneasy. Not saying what they did was right, just theorising what happened
Richard Villasanti - needed a change, and since then never really did anything
Cooper Vuna - This one wasn't a good decision

Brent Webb - As I understand it, McKinnon came cheaper and for the first couple of seasons did a slightly better job anyhow. How one small incident in a trial match can suddenly change a career!
Ruben Wiki - retired
Michael Witt - I don't think we miss him on field at all, but it just wasn't well handled

The ones I highlighted are the one's I'm disappointed we no longer have. I could almost go an O'Regan, but he is yet to get tested again in first grade down in Melscum, and Lauaki who I rated as a freakish talent, but just never ever got a game plan to suit him, which sadly is reminiscent of some of our other freakish talents. Overall, I don't think it's that bad, I guess it's more the recruitment that is not the best. Granted, we have to pay overs and all that, and granted guys like Gatis, Crockett, Byrne, Martin, did decent jobs for us at times, but some of the guys they brought over weren't suited to the club. Kemp for example, wicked talent, poorly utilised. It kind of lends itself to suggest that in a business sense the HR isn't strategically linked. What I mean by that is you may pick up an extraordinary economist, but your real gap in terms of your current HR stocks be in customer service levels. Now, with a right winger, if you have good constructive play the move can be very beneficial, but if your plan is to park him out there to catch defensive bombs then he really isn't the right choice, instead a bulked up winger is probably the go.

Northern_Union

We haven't missed Michael Witt at all? Are you kidding? Kicking at around 85% aside, comes back from injury in 08 and adds much needed direction to a directionless outfit (aint that what we're seeing now?). Goes to the Crusaders, an outfit that looked well and truely out of it's depth in the ESL and barely managed a point in 09. 2010 rolls around and the Crusaders are knocking on the door of the play offs and from what i have seen of them he is directing them around the park.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings