General Ivan Cleary Is In A Movie

sebastian_old

I'm not sure if over the ditch you guys heard about a league movie called "The Final Winter"(starring Matt Johns fromt he Footy Show) but i was stunned to see Ivan have a role in it. Mind you it's short(2 min.) & he doesn't say a word but it's still unreal. In the movie he's a judicary member. I don't remember seeing the press say anything about it, have any of you guys seen it??
Ivan the movie star ey', who would've guessed??

Jesbass_old

Yep, it was mentioned in this Warriors website article:

Former First-Grader Puts Rugby League On Silver Screen

Rugby league’s true train-spotters will know the name Matt Nable.

He never broke through as a footballer but he did manage a few first-grade appearances for Manly – when Graham Lowe was coach – and South Sydney. Eight to be precise.

Most of the time, it was a diet of reserve grade footy for Nable and his mates. And one of those mates then – and still one today – was a fairly useful player by the name of Ivan Cleary.

But while Cleary was destined for bigger things in the game, Nable headed in another direction.

As some people – but not enough yet – have discovered, Nable is a rare talent. Put it this was, for an ex-rugby league player he makes a hell of an actor – and a writer, too.

The Warriors found that out for themselves when the entire team recently attended a pre-release screening of the “The Final Winter”, a movie which has the Nable stamp all over it. He has the lead role of Grub Henderson, a gnarled Newtown veteran, and wrote the original novel before writing the screenplay.

The Warriors were thoroughly taken by the movie and moved by it too. It resonated with them on so many levels. And some Auckland sports media types came away with the same thoughts after a special screening on Friday.

In broad terms it qualifies in the genre of sports movies, of which there never have been too many quality offerings.

Specifically it could be referred to as a rugby league movie – a very rare beast – and an Australian one to be exact.

But it’s unfair to categorise it so simply. It’s so raw in terms of content – rugby league in the 1980s was never less than brutal – and manages to touch so many buttons that were relevant then and remain so today.

There was added value and amusement for the Warriors and the media in seeing Cleary’s cameo role in the movie as, ironically, a member of a judiciary panel. While he doesn’t have any lines he twirls a pen competently.

Sports-based movies arguably have a fairly poor strike rate. Many are just way too pretentious.

Regularly and probably understandably actors are incapable of carrying off convincing performances as athletes. The same is true of the portrayal of sporting contests which tend to fall well short of capturing the authentic product.

“The Final Winter” doesn’t suffer from those deficiencies.

And there’s also the spot-the-legend contest while watching – Tom Raudonikis, Terry Randall, Max Krilich, Noel Kelly, Phil Sigsworth and many more pop up along the way.

Hopefully “The Final Winter” will go out on general release soon. The timing couldn’t be better with the 2008 NRL season about to start.

Northern_Union

Ment to be a good movie. Written by a former Manly Junior.

How does uncle Ivans acting stand up?

Northern_Union

you beat me to it JJ.

cleary_old

its not a bad movie, and pretty cool to see a league movie seeing as we are 100yrs of league.

Northern_Union

1907 was the start of league in NZ so this makes it 101 years for us and 100 for the aussies?

Northern_Union

its not a bad movie, and pretty cool to see a league movie seeing as we are 100yrs of league.

Thats what i was commenting on seeing as Cleary is from Wellington, we are 101 years old now not 100 years old.

Jesbass_old

I'm assuming youe mane Cleary the user, not Cleary the coach?

But I'm with you now. *nods sagely*

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings