Rep Honours
  1. Indigenous All Stars
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Curran
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/josh-curran/summary.html
Curran has developed nicely in his time here since 2019. While its never nice seeing a player slowly getting squezzed out it happens every year and will never stop such is the business.

Obviously there is a great deal we are not privy to such as why he wasn't getting named or given more game time but in the infamous words of coach Kearney we must all "trust the process". This time the process that is being masterminded by coach Webby.

One thing I will say is that its no surprise to see him being named as someone that may move on or at least relegated in terms of top side selection. Unless he takes a pay cut he'll require more of the cap than he deserves. The main reason I feel he's being shopped around is that we have some amazing juniors coming through is Demitric Sifakula, Jacob Laban and Zyon Maiu’u who I believe will supercede Curran in every aspect of the game in the near future. These are the players we really need to focus on. Same reason Bayley Sironen was released. We also still have Mitchell Barnett and Jazz Tevaga to fill out at lock.

He's a good player and by all accounts a very decent person but life will go on. With or without him. I dont see him finishing his contract here and will probably be a mid season release barring injuries to our front line...

1698290162630.png

Curran granted early release
Author: Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 26 Oct 2023, 09:58 AM

One New Zealand Warriors back rower Josh Curran has been granted an immediate release to continue his career with another NRL club.

The 24-year-old Sydney-born Curran was off contract at the end of next season after originally joining the club midway through the 2019 campaign.

“We recently advised Josh that it was unlikely we would be able to re-sign him beyond next year,” said One New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“We told him we were happy for him to see out his contract but if he did find an option that provided him with longer term security to please come back and talk to us.

“We’re pleased for him that he has found a new club and he leaves with our best wishes. We really appreciate the contribution Josh has made in his five seasons with us.”

Curran joined the One New Zealand Warriors in 2019 after his debut and only appearance for the Sydney Roosters that year.

Used predominantly off the bench, he played 23 matches during the 2023 season to lift his tally for the club to 60 games.

Last edited:
I feel bad now, he was loyal to the bitter end. Good luck joshy, you didn't deserve this, except for one minor indiscretion but as Bruce said that kid deserved it.

I remember your debut game for us, shot out like a cannon tackling everything in sight including some of our players, made a few errors in your excitement but I thought at the time this kid wants it bad.

Some say you were too lazy to learn how to tackle, well the mean one of Ivan's understudies will fix that. Probably not even true anyway. Still can't help feeling like one of my favourite totara has fallen.

tldr: damn

Last edited:
I feel bad now, he was loyal to the bitter end. Good luck joshy, you didn't deserve this, except for one minor indiscretion but as Bruce said that kid deserved it.

I remember your debut game for us, shot out like a cannon tackling everything in sight including some of our players, made a few errors in your excitement but I thought at the time this kid wants it bad.

Some say you were too lazy to learn how to tackle, well the mean one of Ivan's undersdudies will fix that. Probably not even true anyway. Still can't help feeling like one of my favourite totara has fallen.

tldr: damn

This one’s for you brother. Don’t let it get you down

Had to laugh at Goulds comment
“The first time I sore Josh play, he looked like a bulldog to me” 🤣
Wasn’t Gould with the warriors the first time he sore Josh play??
He was at the Panthers when Josh debuted for The Chooks, and at the Dragons when Josh debuted for us. He might not have noticed him in those games in 2019 though.

If you watch the incredible 1st Sharks vs Warriors match back in April, Gould was all over Curran. He made a clear intention to put him up on a pedestal when he ran that hole off Johnson to score late in the match. I think he was set on getting him to the Dogs after that match!

Who fills that role which he played very well! I don't know if Jackson Ford ran that line quite as well but seems like it would have to be Marata.

If you watch the incredible 1st Sharks vs Warriors match back in April, Gould was all over Curran. He made a clear intention to put him up on a pedestal when he ran that hole off Johnson to score late in the match. I think he was set on getting him to the Dogs after that match!

Who fills that role which he played very well! I don't know if Jackson Ford ran that line quite as well but seems like it would have to be Marata.

He can do a hell of a line that Joshy Curran.. on and off the field

I re-watched the last 10 minutes of that game a couple of weeks ago- he was immense.
That was his best game I reckon- him and sj ended moylans career that night.