TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
He was told by the club that they planned to develop Katoa and Murchie ahead of him. Would likely only get bench time. Wanted to test himself in Australia and try a different system.

Personally saw him as a defensive lock but with the above mentioned players plus Tohu Harris and Tevaga covering the whole backrow he decided to move on.

Was given an offer from the club and while it wasn't bad he is interested in game time. This is a kid who was playing 80 minutes at age 20.

Wish him all the best. We haven't seen the last of him I feel...
Interesting that the money was similar. Hard to imagine him getting any more game time in that Eels side with Matterson, Lane and Brown all definitely ahead of him and possibly even Niukore.

Sucks that he doesn't want to commit to that defensive lock position, he could be a game changer there.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
He was told by the club that they planned to develop Katoa and Murchie ahead of him. Would likely only get bench time. Wanted to test himself in Australia and try a different system.

Personally saw him as a defensive lock but with the above mentioned players plus Tohu Harris and Tevaga covering the whole backrow he decided to move on.

Was given an offer from the club and while it wasn't bad he is interested in game time. This is a kid who was playing 80 minutes at age 20.

Wish him all the best. We haven't seen the last of him I feel...

Sounds fair on behalf of both clubs. Can't say the club made the wrong decision, Murchie and Katoa have high ceilings, especially in terms of attack. Defensive lock, he could do a job. Good luck Ice.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
This is one of those threads where you make sure you give the recent history of posts a cursory glance to make sure you weren’t one of those that had posted in the affirmative on a decision that now looks very wrong!
He’s playing very well as Matto’s replacement on that left edge. Running great lines & busting tackles. Clearly some hindsight at play, however even based on last seasons form I’m not entirely clear in what we saw in say a Bailey Sironen, who looks like the definition of a plodder to me, that suggested he was a better option than Papalii.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
He’s playing great isn’t he? Parra’s conditioning staff have done a great job, he looks far more dynamic than he did for us.

From what Mt Welly posted above, it seems a pretty amicable split, we put in an offer and were honest about where we thought he was in the pecking order. He opted for a change of scenery and has done exceptionally well. It’s not an Shaun Johnson nuclear type scenario and could see him returning at some point.

Kearney was a poor head coach, but extremely awful at developing young talent. I have confidence that Brown will do better with the likes of Katoa.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Disagree there , Sironen was good for Souths and their fans were gutted to lose him. He certainly seems to be playing better for us than Papalii. Why that was is another question.
I think that view is probably consensus, however Sironen has just never stood out for me as anything worth chasing for a squad position. Was lukewarm on the trade when it was announced. Perhaps it’s the utility value that he offers however I don’t really get that argument either as he looks incredibly slow to me. I guess he’s gone over for a couple of tries. Also only the third best league player in his immediate family - weak.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I think that view is probably consensus, however Sironen has just never stood out for me as anything worth chasing for a squad position. Was lukewarm on the trade when it was announced. Perhaps it’s the utility value that he offers however I don’t really get that argument either as he looks incredibly slow to me. I guess he’s gone over for a couple of tries. Also only the third best league player in his immediate family - weak.
Good points, although 3rd best in that family sets a fairly high bar in my view. Similar high output work rates with no major weapon in the armoury. In my opinion Sironen has the advantage in coming through the Aussie system while Ice came through Union then the Warriors, who have not had the greatest development record. Once in the Eels system he has improved greatly. I guess hindsight is a great thing.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Kearney was a poor head coach, but extremely awful at developing young talent. I have confidence that Brown will do better with the likes of Katoa.
It was a mistake signing SK.

The whole Warriors management then was a mistake starting from the jailbird at the top.

Hopefully things are improving.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
In the past when young Warriors players moved to Australia and performed well we would pinpoint getting out on their own two feet as a big part of maturing into a professional Nrl player.

You couldn’t really argue that with Papalii, like others I put it down to the coaching and strength and conditioning team at the Eels. He looks a completely different player to the one dimensional Papalii we had under Mooks.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

The whole Warriors management then was a mistake starting from the jailbird at the top.

mistake signing him, then prematurely re-signing him for another 3 years .... I mean how stupid can you get CG? It’s not like other clubs were beating down the door trying to steal the guy...

Back on topic.

I didn’t know Isiah was a power lifter as a kid. Looked strong as fuck steam rolling over Josh Papalii over they weekend.

he’s got a huge future...... at Parramatta....

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
mistake signing him, then prematurely re-signing him for another 3 years .... I mean how stupid can you get CG? It’s not like other clubs were beating down the door trying to steal the guy...

Back on topic.

I didn’t know Isiah was a power lifter as a kid. Looked strong as fuck steam rolling over Josh Papalii over they weekend.

he’s got a huge future...... at Parramatta....
I could be wrong but I think he may have held a nz record as a kid for weight lifting...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

SK was the right Coach at the time to fix the unfit, undisciplined and underskilled squad we had at the time. He stripped the game back to fundamental skills. Boring yes, but necessary to change the habits of the team. In saying that he was never going to take them to a Premiership, that wasn't the point, it was to set the base for that climb to start.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
SK was the right Coach at the time to fix the unfit, undisciplined and underskilled squad we had at the time. He stripped the game back to fundamental skills. Boring yes, but necessary to change the habits of the team. In saying that he was never going to take them to a Premiership, that wasn't the point, it was to set the base for that climb to start.
That is a pure fallacy. I would argue aside from the 8th placing in 2018, his results were pure rubbish and worse than prior years. To say he somehow pioneered a cultural shift in the club is debatable and if not then laughable. CG had a bigger impact getting rid of all the premadonna’s in the squad. Our roster, coach, assistants are all new. SK’s legacy, whatever that was exactly, is all but gone and nothing but a pipe dream...

2013- 11th

2014 - 9th

2015 - 15th

2016 -10th

2017 - 13th (SK)

2018- 8th (SK)

2019 - 13th (SK)

I would argue he did more damage to the club. Isaiah Papalii being a classic example. Fattened him up and made him play away from his strengths. Put no effort in developing young talent. 3 hookers in the squad. Refused to recognise rubbish when everyone could see it - what’s Kata up up these days?... I could go on but hopefully you see the point so many of us here recognised. Some just quicker than others.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
This video chronicles NRL players current who clubs should not have let go.

Papalii is listed as the Warriors only release.

It is a brilliant compilation and puts in perspective how well the Warriors have done and that the fans really have nothing to complain about versus the reality of the player market across the NRL.

Interesting Sean O'Sullivan and Kodi are named as Broncos release mistakes, and it is hard to argue with the mans logic.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
This video chronicles NRL players current who clubs should not have let go.

Papalii is listed as the Warriors only release.

It is a brilliant compilation and puts in perspective how well the Warriors have done and that the fans really have nothing to complain about versus the reality of the player market across the NRL.

Interesting Sean O'Sullivan and Kodi are named as Broncos release mistakes, and it is hard to argue with the mans logic.

Yeah, you lost me at “how well the Warriors have done”

How well the warriors have done at what?

Developing talent and not losing them to other clubs you mean? Stacey, Mannering and Manu. That’s about it for our talent pool over the last 20 years... hardly a war chest for anyone to bother crossing the ditch to steal....

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings