Isaiah Papali'i
Starting a player discussion thread on Isaiah Papalii who has been signed up by the Warriors. Kid has some awesome sporting ability. A name you will definitely hear more of in time...

Gold medals for weightlifter
November 2014

Congratulations to Year 11 student Isaiah Papalii, who came home from the Oceania Power Lifting Championships in New Caledonia with two gold medals.

Isaiah won the Youth (U17) 94kg+ division, and the Junior (U20) 105kg division with a 107kg snatch and a 125kg clean and jerk.

Isaiah, who is still only 15 years old, is also a member of MAGS' First XV.

https://www.mags.school.nz/Story?Action=View&Story_id=7562

Mount Albert Grammar crowned 2016 national secondary school rugby champions after tense final
Sun, Sep 4
Brodyn Knuckey
Isaiah Papalii 2016 1st XV.jpg
MAG's co captains, Waimana Reidlinger-Kapa (L) and Caleb Clarke (R) fool around with Isaiah Papali'i (centre) with the trophy.

Mount Albert Grammar have claimed the national secondary schools title this afternoon with a gritty 14-13 win in wet conditions over Hastings Boys' High School.

An impressive outing in Palmerston North from MAGS open side flanker Isaiah Papali'i spearheaded the determined outing from the Auckland side who showed touches of class with their kicking game and sheer muscle at scrum time.

But poor discipline late in the game from blind side flanker Thomas Barlow almost cost his side, after his dangerous tackle saw him sit out the final ten minutes of the game with a yellow card.

With fourteen men, MAGS held on to their 14-6 lead, thanks in part to Hastings' captain and halfback Lincoln McClutchie evening player numbers once.

McClutchie was yellow carded for the final minutes of the game after the referee had had enough of his niggling back-chat throughout the tense final.

Despite not losing a game all season prior to the final, Hastings Boys' were unable to get forward ball for most of the game and relied on the prefect boot of Danny Toala who went 3-from-3 off the tee to keep them in the game.

A consolation try on the hooter may leave the team ruing the bold decision in the 43rd minute to use their penalty on a lineout instead of three points when they were just 18 metres out.

The players from Hawke's Bay lost the ball two phases after the lineout and left MAGS' 22 with no points to show for their efforts.

both teams struggled to keep the ball in hand in the fast-paced game, with both sides reaching double figures in handling errors early in the second half.

But a dominant outing from Mount Albert's forward pack looked to be the difference as time and time again they dominated at the scrum and remained composed in countless pick-and-goes.

The title is Mount Albert Grammar's third since the tournament first began in 1982.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...dary-school-rugby-champions-after-tense-final

WarriorBall

I remember talking with one of the Warriors previous trainers about this very thing and he reckon you could only ever put on 2-3kgs of average weight a year safely. Anymore would put more strain on the legs and knees which would lead to more chances of injuries. You have to increase muscle mass all over the body so it it all supports itself. That's as best as I can explain it cause most of it went straight over my head :oops:.

Ben Matulino had an interesting article on weight gain a few years ago in which he said he started the season about 10kgs above his ideal weight. By the middle of the season he was playing at his ideal weight and by the seasons end he was slightly up on it. Same article he said he was going back to his pregame chicken pasta salad routine cause it worked for him despite what the nutritionist had told him. Lee Anne Wann was her name. Some of her ideas were out there...

Not wrong about Lee Anne Wann, I remember she was on a Paleo bent, not exactly mainstream nutritional standards there, what she was doing in sports science as the Warriors Nutritionist baffled not only me but my wife who’s a dietitian, hopefully she’s no longer around.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Not wrong about Lee Anne Wann, I remember she was on a Paleo bent, not exactly mainstream nutritional standards there, what she was doing in sports science as the Warriors Nutritionist baffled not only me but my wife who’s a dietitian, hopefully she’s no longer around.
Yeah they got rid of her awhile ago.

There is a thread on it with the Ben Matulino article I was talking about. Totally got the figures wrong on his weight. He starts off light and builds up. Makes much more sense with what the trainer told me...

https://nzwarriors.com/threads/nrl-sports-science.39451/page-4#post-536564

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
He has age on his side, and has played alot of NRL. I'm not upset to see him go, he's an undersized forward with little ball skill or speed to make up for it. He clearly see's himself as a second rower, and we have Harris, Katoa and Murchie, who all showed more this season than he has over his career.

Nice to see him stay in the NRL! Good luck to him.

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
This was good news to hear when it was announced he was leaving. Did nothing ever for the Warriors so going to Paramatta will just annoy the Para fans and the Warriors fans will no longer care :) - Just great news he is going :)

Reactions: wellyboy

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I think it’s a good move for him, a change of scenery might help him as he hasn’t progressed as quickly as I thought he might.

He’s got lots of good qualities and if Parramatta can improve his ball skills and footwork he could be a very good player.

It also signals to me the warriors have a clear plan about the sort of squad they want to have. Signing players to fit a team, rather than signing/resigning players because they are of NRL quality.

Whether the plan works is another question but I’m encouraged that they seem to be moving in a direction.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
It’ll be interesting to see what Parra do with him. I still believe if he was to trim down / lose weight, regain his speed - he’d be a better player. The Warriors tried to turn him into a power house forward. He has the potential to be a mobile player, wHilst maintaining good defensive qualities.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
It’ll be interesting to see what Parra do with him. I still believe if he was to trim down / lose weight, regain his speed - he’d be a better player. The Warriors tried to turn him into a power house forward. He has the potential to be a mobile player, wHilst maintaining good defensive qualities.
I think you’ve got it the wrong way around, he was a power house forward coming up through the grades as a prop. Once he got to first grade he trimmed down and worked on his mobility. The problem is that he still doesn’t have top end speed or any ball skills at all. He should never have been developed as a second rower.

I would say he’s probably the best defender we have developed as a junior. He’s still only 22 and I believe he’s in the elite tier of NRL defenders right now.

For a club that is used to having juniors come through that can attack but can’t defend, Ice could definitely defend but unfortunately couldn’t do anything on attack.

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Hey people who are more experienced experts than me. Some help please. What is the formula for tackle efficiency. Ice's tackle efficiency was 89% this year according to his Warriors web page.
However when I try to calculate get 94%
29 missed tackles
463 made tackles
492 total attempted tackles
463/492 = 94%

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I think you’ve got it the wrong way around, he was a power house forward coming up through the grades as a prop. Once he got to first grade he trimmed down and worked on his mobility. The problem is that he still doesn’t have top end speed or any ball skills at all. He should never have been developed as a second rower.

I would say he’s probably the best defender we have developed as a junior. He’s still only 22 and I believe he’s in the elite tier of NRL defenders right now.

For a club that is used to having juniors come through that can attack but can’t defend, Ice could definitely defend but unfortunately couldn’t do anything on attack.

I watched him play at MAGs in their 1st xV as a 7 , open side flanker, he was fast with good ball skills. He would have played for the NZ SS team if he’d not signed for the Warriors.

Reactions: Worried2Death

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I watched him play at MAGs in their 1st xV as a 7 , open side flanker, he was fast with good ball skills. He would have played for the NZ SS team if he’d not signed for the Warriors.
He's never had good ball skills even in his MAGS days. He was almost exclusively a ball carrier and was good at the breakdown.

I wouldn't say he was particularly fast at that level either. He was 100% stronger than all his peers but fast? no.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Hey people who are more experienced experts than me. Some help please. What is the formula for tackle efficiency. Ice's tackle efficiency was 89% this year according to his Warriors web page.
However when I try to calculate get 94%
29 missed tackles
463 made tackles
492 total attempted tackles
463/492 = 94%

There are also ineffective tackles eg) the player offloads in the tackle

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
He was told by the club that they planned to develop Katoa and Murchie ahead of him. Would likely only get bench time. Wanted to test himself in Australia and try a different system.

Personally saw him as a defensive lock but with the above mentioned players plus Tohu and Tevaga covering the whole backrow he decided to move on.

Was given an offer from the club and while it wasn't bad he is interested in game time. This is a kid who was playing 80 minutes at age 20.

Wish him all the best. We haven't seen the last of him I feel...

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings