Iafeta_old

Cleary needs to pick on form....not just his favourites or veterans

If Isaac John is the better performing half early in 2011 he should be in. Warriors have the talent to contend for years to come. we cant afford to carry passengers

I'm sure that is how it will be. However I fully expect Brett to bounce back. For most of his games here at the Warriors he's been creating a lot of opportunities on the fringes of the ruck. He has had one bad game, appalling really with his passing, and all of a sudden the knives are into him. He's far better than that, and I'd take 100 first grade games of evidence over that one performance.

James Maloney goes from one week having a thread created about him being our best buy, and now all of a sudden he's under intense criticism. Also, I agree he had an appalling game, but on the sum part of the season, he's had a very good season and should easily be pencilled in as our five eighth for 2011.

I see last week for what it was. A once off performance. There was certainly no signs whatsoever between Maloney and Seymour in the 6-7 games they've played earlier in the year that that lack of combination would be the case. Moreso, I look at our forward pack and say we failed to roll through the ruck. We were dominated by Nokiachiello junior and Bailey. Again, I'm not quick to criticise them either, simply because they look physically worn out. That's the downside of increasing key roles on junior talent, its whether they can maintain the rage consistently over a long period. IMO, if a guy like Price or Rapira is in the front row with Packer, a lot of things happen differently in that game. I'd also say if Lewis gets there half a second before Preston Campbell off his little chip kick in goal that the discussions here would be entirely different. That was a massive turning point, and we were rolled in the ruck from hereon in.

Ryan_old

Beef, Leek & Lime Sauce: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10713102

Isaac John will make his return to the National Rugby League (NRL) against an opponent he has long admired, but he doesn't see it as a head-to-head contest with Benji Marshall in Sydney on Saturday night.

The New Zealand Warriors have called up John to be their five-eighth against the Wests Tigers, with James Maloney serving a ban for his early hit on Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne last weekend.

"The only way we match up is our numbers," John said of the No 6 jerseys he and Marshall will wear.

"It's not like me versus Benji, it's the Warriors versus the Tigers. I won't be trying to stop him by myself. I'll have 12 others players around me."

While Marshall's kicking game was a touch wayward in the Tigers' 24-14 defeat to the Bulldogs last Monday night, the Kiwi skipper against showed his lethal ability with ball in hand.

His passes set up tries for Lote Tuqiri and Chris Lawrence, before he grabbed a superb solo touchdown for himself by skipping past three defenders.

"It's hard not to admire what he does," John said.

"Growing up as a teenager, I used to watch him a lot. Some of the stuff he does is unbelievable and we'll try to stop that this week."

John wasn't fazed by the prospect that might be required for just one game, as Maloney will be available for selection again next week.

He also didn't feel too much pressure at coming into the side after the Warriors had made a losing start to their season.

"I'm just going to go out there to do my part for the team," he said.

"I'm not trying to be a miracle worker, like turn our season around. It's only round two. It's a long season."

John, 22, has eight NRL matches to his name.

He made his debut in July 2009, but injuries played havoc with his season last year.

He was unavailable early on because of a broken foot, but got his chance in mid-campaign when halfback Brett Seymour suffered a leg fracture.

He formed a halves combination with Maloney and the Warriors won four of the five matches with him in on the field.

However, John was then struck down by anterior cruciate ligament damage, which required a season-ending knee reconstruction.

Despite the battles involved in getting back to fitness, John could see positives in both spells on the sideline.

His broken foot coincided with Seymour being out with a broken thumb and he was able to learn from watching games with his more experienced team-mate.

"I was sitting on the sideline with Buster and he's got a great football mind."

As for his knee surgery, John believed that going through the lengthy rehabilitation had made him mentally stronger.

"Anyone who's done their ACL knows it's a long lonely road," he said.

"I think in hindsight I'm better with the experience because it taught me discipline and made me more motivated, if anything."

Sounds like a sharp bloke. I'm glad he's a Warrior!

EnterFien_old

source:https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/15505349.stm

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats have signed New Zealand Warriors half-back Isaac John on a three-year deal.

New Wildcats coach Richard Agar has been overhauling the squad for 2012 and the 22-year-old former Junior Kiwi becomes the 14th new face to sign.

Former Wigan and Cronulla stand-off Tim Smith is expected to become number 15.

Agar said: "Isaac is a key signing for us. He is a very skilful and talented ball player with great footwork and a good kicking game."

He added: "A couple of untimely injuries and with the talent in front of him, it has been difficult for Isaac to get any sort of sustained run in the Warriors side.

"But having seen him star in the recent grand final for the Junior Warriors, there's no doubting the ability he has and I'm very happy that he'll have the chance to show the rugby league world that in a Wakefield Wildcats shirt.

"We have some really good quality across the board now and hopefully we can still add a couple more to the roster before too long."

John said: "I've had limited opportunities at the Warriors so the chance to come and run a team around the field is a big one for me.

fanrrior_old

Whilst i'm not the biggest fan of John it does raise the question... Why the F*** are we getting rid of so many people and only signing one person? I realize we are a development team but this is crazy.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Johnson, Maloney, Godinet in front of him with Tuimavave and Meads likely to overtake him in the not too distant future.

He'd be an idiot to hang around when there's a 3 year contract on the table, more than likely for more money and a good shot at playing regular first grade.

Jesbass_old

Good on him. I liked the guy, but this seems like a sensible career move. All the best to him.

Iafeta_old

Can't blame him for taking up the chance. No doubt the retirement home is shelling out a good pension to get him. Decent player, potential, a bit like Patrick Ah Van in that he's just not going to deliver it here in the NRL... good talent but 5% off/