Iafeta_old

From what I understand, Covell was walking the day after, light running in under 4 weeks, full running in 8 weeks and back playing NRL in 11 weeks...

The main reason why Covell had the LARS surgery is that he is an older player and had less to lose by trying the experimental surgery.

Theyre not comprehensively sure of the medium-long effects of the surgery so to try it on a young player is a lot more risky. Whereas the regular reco is more of a known quantity.

11 weeks according to aussie warrior on Covell. So, if Isaac took 11 weeks, he'd be lucky to get back by Grand Final time? I doubt if Seymour and Maloney are fit that he'd be able to get back in at that stage anyway. And as lego says, for a young bloke, why take the risk particularly for the pay-off of maximum one or two weeks that we are a reasonable chance of not even being still competing in!

Proper, long term rehab for the young lad is the only sensible way to go. Not some experimental hocus pocus.

seb, I'm probably hoping against hope here, but your comment about him being attractive to clubs around the NRL is warranted, I'm kinda hoping the Warriors decide to run with 4 halves in their top 25 and those four are Seymour, Maloney, John and Johnson. To think, just 5-6 weeks ago, Joel Moon was a realistic halves option, and Lance Hohaia was filling in there from time to time too. That to me says the most about John's development, that if those blokes want to stay at the club then they're going to have to concentrate on centre/fullback respectively. In my opinion, that would be good for both Joel and Lance's games, too much shuffling of the decks at times has to have hurt their development.

Northern_Union

You lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank? Luxury. I used to get up an hour before i went to bed and walked 5 miles over broken glass just to get to school.

Warrioraholic_old

Well I did my ACL in easter and still havent had surgery yet........guess Luke Covell wasnt on acc lol. I dont think the warriors or anyone in NZ is using that graft, he will probably get the patella tendon graft which will mean its 9mths before he can step of his knee.
I went snowboarding last wknd with no ACL but wore my motocross knee brace and it worked mint.

I hope Johns gets the support he needs because it is a real mental injury, its easy to get back running but doing physio for 9months can feel like a lifetime I have heard, and im picking Rubes will be taking his physio classes, poor guy. Send him a card Jesbass :)

JonB_old

Well I did my ACL in easter and still havent had surgery yet........guess Luke Covell wasnt on acc lol. I dont think the warriors or anyone in NZ is using that graft, he will probably get the patella tendon graft which will mean its 9mths before he can step of his knee.
I went snowboarding last wknd with no ACL but wore my motocross knee brace and it worked mint.

I hope Johns gets the support he needs because it is a real mental injury, its easy to get back running but doing physio for 9months can feel like a lifetime I have heard, and im picking Rubes will be taking his physio classes, poor guy. Send him a card Jesbass :)

does it really take that long for ACL surgery?
that is terrible, did you do the thing completely?

Spence_old

And pay the mill owner for the privilege of working there!

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Warrioraholic_old

Yeah complete tear plus two miniscus tears. Do you mean take that long for the surgery or for it to be 100%? ACC and red tape is pretty much the hold up with surgery I guess. As far as after surgery you should be walking in a week and running soon after but the graft which is tendon with bone at each end has to grow and graft at each end of where it has been attached inside the knee. Unfortuantly there is no way of speeding up the human body and making it grow/regrow/heal itself any quicker. Unless of course you have a flash sydney surgeon like Luke Covell then you can use the latest synthetic one and just whack a screw at each end and your done.

If your interested heres a link, warning graphic pictures...........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL7-tIsQhw

Jesbass_old

Yeah Jesbass.. infact you should be sending a card each week to every player that makes a tacklebreak.

Yeah, no more cards, eh. There's obviously not enough interest in them from the forum. (I know it was a joke, but still...)

Jesbass_old

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell that to the kids of today, and they won't believe you!

Spence_old

I reckon. Just last week I tried to sell someone a resting Norwegian Blue and they tried to tell me it was dead!

teariki_old

The main reason why Covell had the LARS surgery is that he is an older player and had less to lose by trying the experimental surgery.

Theyre not comprehensively sure of the medium-long effects of the surgery so to try it on a young player is a lot more risky. Whereas the regular reco is more of a known quantity.

I was watching the Knights-Sharks buildup and they played a segment on Luke Covell's surgery. In the old days the busted ligament was removed. In the experimental surgery, the ligament was left in and reinforced with some stretchy material that has a weight load of something like 1200 lbs. Fascinating stuff.

MightyWarriors_old

It may just be me, and we did beat the Storm despite it, but I figure a huge factor in the side's poor last couple of weeks has been the absence of one of the season's biggest surprises in Isaac John. The play of the halves has been extremely uninspiring in the last two rounds, even in the Melbourne game we struggled despite the win, where we had lots of possession but no punch. I don't count the Penrith win because farcical refereeing was the biggest factor, but I was much more satisfied with Isaac John at halfback in the five weeks previous. His kicking, vision and as a result, option taking was miles better than Seymour's currently and he executes more skilfully - vital for a good halfback. When Seymour tries to pass at and through the line, he delivers hospital balls and really struggles with the long pass. Seymour can't play off the bottom of the scrum (and indeed Maloney now has those duties) because he doesn't have the pass and in a few games he's already thrown some intercepts. They haven't cost us yet, but they're mistakes a good half doesn't make repeatedly and certainly have cost us some good possession. Seymour and Maloney are two natural ball runners and don't seem to complement each other as well as John and Maloney; with one outright ball player and one runner.

John's obviously gone for 2010, but moving into 2011 I hope we seriously consider John as our starting halfback if his form warrants it, and we don't needlessly persist with Seymour because he's being paid more. At this point of the season, I'd think that John would have done enough to reclaim his jersey from Buster had he not been injured. For mine, John is a natural halfback and Seymour is a standoff being made to play halfback by necessity. I see some really good signs in John's improvement over the off season for him to become a long term #7. Here's hoping he continues to make strides as big as those he made between 2009 and 2010, because if he gets even better, we'll have a good thing on our hands at the Mt Smart.

Northern_Union

While i'd be prepared to persist with Seymore for at least a few more weeks i fear Ivan will persist for much much longer than that.
I offen feel that Ivan persists for the amount of time he does as a defence mechaisim against the fact that players he buys in arn't performing. But if he can say they are going ok and that are still in good enough form for the NRL then he himself is ok.

gREVUS_old

I agree i would love to see Issac Johns out there, with luck he will be right and able to perform next year.

I take it as given that Seymor was deemed unimpressive, however felt that it was more a lack of intensity by the bulk of the team, in the middle of the second half that gave the game to the titans. By this I mean that the warriors get into a good position and then open the door to encourage the opposition back into the game, then have to play catch up. I feel ive seen this week in week out for so many games now, even the ones we are winning.

Spence_old

What's the latest with Johnson? I haven't been able to catch any U20 games of late. Has he been playing terribly?