General Isaac John

PB_old

Devil's advocate here.

Shaun Johnson's D is being pointed out as a reason for him not to be in first grade. So I thought I'd just throw up a set of 'negative' stats, as opposed to 'positive' (try assists, etc).

This is for Nafe, since he's a favourite for promotion, Shaun's recent half partner, Carlos Tuimavave, John, and the current first grade pairing.

Shaun Johnson
Games: 8
Average tackles: 10.6
Average misses: 3
Average ineffective: .5
Penalties: 2
Errors: 8

Nafe Seluini
Games: 14
Average tackles: 14.9
Average misses: 3.1
Average ineffective: 1.2
Penalies: 6

Carlos Tuimavave
Games: 7
Average tackles: 15.4
Average misses: 2.9
Average ineffective: 1
Penalties: 3

Brett Seymore
Games: 7
Average tackles: 14.9
Average misses: 4.4
Average ineffective: 1.3
Penalties: 6
Errors: 5

James Maloney
Games: 18
Average tackles: 17.3
Average misses: 4.6
Average ineffective: 1.3
Penalties: 21
Errors: 23

Isaac John
Games: 5
Average tackles: 17
Average misses: 3
Average ineffective: 2.8
Penalties: 1
Errors: 1

Is Nafe any more ready than Shaun?

Maloney and Seymore occupy 3rd and 5th for average misses in the NRL.

Seymour's missed stat is unusual. Historically, he makes another 5 to 7 tackles per game for similar, or sometimes less, misses.

Obviously there's a step up, but would Shaun's tackle stats really blow out worse than our pairing right now?

John makes very few errors and gives away few penalties.

Will Mateo play minder at standoff?

Will Vatuvei (21 in 13 games) catch Maloney for errors? Will Watmough (18 from 18) catch Maloney for penalties?

Will Mateo hold on to top the offloads (50 so far)

The theme song for 'Soap' should come in about now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Stick_old

Shaun Johnson's defense in the pre season games was very good.... he has probaly slacked off defensely in the Toyota cup which is attack orrientated

There have been many halves and great players over the years that havent been that flash on the tackle

Shaun Johnson is the most talented half at the club by a long shot

Iafeta_old

This is one time when the stats truly don't tell a tale, polar. There will be many times when Shaun is being dragged along by an attacker, and he merely hangs on by the jersey until someone else comes in. I'm sure he's probably credited with a fair tackle, but it costs us a lot of momentum. I would also say he is far worse in his attempts in broken field cover defence than the other guys. I have noticed a fair few occasions where Brett will make one on one tackles when a break is on.

To answer your question, Northern, no, but Ben Barba's instinctive attacking game is far more dangerous at this stage at a far higher level.

David Bragg_old

If Maloney or Seymour are injured I would have Johnson in there in a flash.
I expect those two to turn things around this week.
Maloney actually started well before he became error stricken.
In the meantime Johnsosn can looked forward to the pressure of finals football leading round the 20s.
No doubt he will be our starting 6 or 7 next year.

ryan1_old

No doubt he will be our starting 6 or 7 next year.
I think you'll find that Maloney and Seymour will be our 6 and 7 next year, bar injuries/suspension. Johnson in 2012 perhaps, but not next year, as both Maloney and Seymour are both contracted for 2011.

Magic Stick_old

I think you'll find that Maloney and Seymour will be our 6 and 7 next year, bar injuries/suspension. Johnson in 2012 perhaps, but not next year, as both Maloney and Seymour are both contracted for 2011.

Cleary needs to pick on form....not just his favourites or veterans

If Isaac John is the better performing half early in 2011 he should be in. Warriors have the talent to contend for years to come. we cant afford to carry passengers

Iafeta_old

Cleary needs to pick on form....not just his favourites or veterans

If Isaac John is the better performing half early in 2011 he should be in. Warriors have the talent to contend for years to come. we cant afford to carry passengers

I'm sure that is how it will be. However I fully expect Brett to bounce back. For most of his games here at the Warriors he's been creating a lot of opportunities on the fringes of the ruck. He has had one bad game, appalling really with his passing, and all of a sudden the knives are into him. He's far better than that, and I'd take 100 first grade games of evidence over that one performance.

James Maloney goes from one week having a thread created about him being our best buy, and now all of a sudden he's under intense criticism. Also, I agree he had an appalling game, but on the sum part of the season, he's had a very good season and should easily be pencilled in as our five eighth for 2011.

I see last week for what it was. A once off performance. There was certainly no signs whatsoever between Maloney and Seymour in the 6-7 games they've played earlier in the year that that lack of combination would be the case. Moreso, I look at our forward pack and say we failed to roll through the ruck. We were dominated by Nokiachiello junior and Bailey. Again, I'm not quick to criticise them either, simply because they look physically worn out. That's the downside of increasing key roles on junior talent, its whether they can maintain the rage consistently over a long period. IMO, if a guy like Price or Rapira is in the front row with Packer, a lot of things happen differently in that game. I'd also say if Lewis gets there half a second before Preston Campbell off his little chip kick in goal that the discussions here would be entirely different. That was a massive turning point, and we were rolled in the ruck from hereon in.