Isaac John

Reaction score

MightyWarriors_old

It may just be me, and we did beat the Storm despite it, but I figure a huge factor in the side's poor last couple of weeks has been the absence of one of the season's biggest surprises in Isaac John. The play of the halves has been extremely uninspiring in the last two rounds, even in the Melbourne game we struggled despite the win, where we had lots of possession but no punch. I don't count the Penrith win because farcical refereeing was the biggest factor, but I was much more satisfied with Isaac John at halfback in the five weeks previous. His kicking, vision and as a result, option taking was miles better than Seymour's currently and he executes more skilfully - vital for a good halfback. When Seymour tries to pass at and through the line, he delivers hospital balls and really struggles with the long pass. Seymour can't play off the bottom of the scrum (and indeed Maloney now has those duties) because he doesn't have the pass and in a few games he's already thrown some intercepts. They haven't cost us yet, but they're mistakes a good half doesn't make repeatedly and certainly have cost us some good possession. Seymour and Maloney are two natural ball runners and don't seem to complement each other as well as John and Maloney; with one outright ball player and one runner.

John's obviously gone for 2010, but moving into 2011 I hope we seriously consider John as our starting halfback if his form warrants it, and we don't needlessly persist with Seymour because he's being paid more. At this point of the season, I'd think that John would have done enough to reclaim his jersey from Buster had he not been injured. For mine, John is a natural halfback and Seymour is a standoff being made to play halfback by necessity. I see some really good signs in John's improvement over the off season for him to become a long term #7. Here's hoping he continues to make strides as big as those he made between 2009 and 2010, because if he gets even better, we'll have a good thing on our hands at the Mt Smart.

Reaction score

Northern_Union

While i'd be prepared to persist with Seymore for at least a few more weeks i fear Ivan will persist for much much longer than that.
I offen feel that Ivan persists for the amount of time he does as a defence mechaisim against the fact that players he buys in arn't performing. But if he can say they are going ok and that are still in good enough form for the NRL then he himself is ok.

Reaction score

gREVUS_old

I agree i would love to see Issac Johns out there, with luck he will be right and able to perform next year.

I take it as given that Seymor was deemed unimpressive, however felt that it was more a lack of intensity by the bulk of the team, in the middle of the second half that gave the game to the titans. By this I mean that the warriors get into a good position and then open the door to encourage the opposition back into the game, then have to play catch up. I feel ive seen this week in week out for so many games now, even the ones we are winning.

Reaction score

Spence_old

Does Ivan make all the signing decisions?

Reaction score

Spence_old

What's the latest with Johnson? I haven't been able to catch any U20 games of late. Has he been playing terribly?

Reaction score

Northern_Union

Does Ivan make all the signing decisions?
He'd be the first coach in the history of the NRL that doesn't give the yaa naa on all signings if he didn't.

Reaction score

Kav_old

What's the latest with Johnson? I haven't been able to catch any U20 games of late. Has he been playing terribly?
On the contrary - still the dominant organiser and playmaker. He always seems to have plenty of time to make decisions which tend to be the right ones. Comment was made today that the coach wanted him to take an even more decision making role. He has a very relaxed style which must come from confidence in his abilities.

Reaction score

Spence_old

So why is no one talking him for first grade anymore?

Reaction score

Magic Stick_old

Johnson will be the starting 7 for the Warriors in 2011

Reaction score

Iafeta_old

So why is no one talking him for first grade anymore?
Because he gets brushed off like a fly defensively against U20s boys.

Seymour is copping it, and rightly so, but James Maloney had an absolute howler. I don't think many can hold their head high after that performance.

Reaction score

Northern_Union

That second drop in a row from Maloney i put down to a bludger of a pass from Seymore.

Reaction score

DanKokoro_old

That second drop in a row from Maloney i put down to a bludger of a pass from Seymore.
i love the way you totally excuse Maloney of any blame so you can put all the blame on Seymour. Vintage NU. It wasn't a great pass but a professional rugby league player should hold that 10 times out of 10. Those two drops in close succession were crucial.

Reaction score

Northern_Union

i love the way you totally excuse Maloney of any blame so you can put all the blame on Seymour. Vintage NU. It wasn't a great pass but a professional rugby league player should hold that 10 times out of 10. Those two drops in close succession were crucial.
I love the arrogance of your posts, vintage Dan. Seymore had a bludger of a game. Seymore is a professional footballer and is paid to make clean accurate passes 10 out of 10 times.

Reaction score

Fazz_old

They were both shit. at least seymour was mostly invisible and scored a try though instead of dropping the ball everytime it came near him...
I agree though, I think we've gone backwards due to john being hurt...hopefully he gets a crack in the 2011 trails to get the 7 back. It would unfair if he didn't

Reaction score

WarriorDog_old

i don't think it is because of Johns absense I think alot of it has to do with Moon's absense

Reaction score

Fazz_old

His defense you reckon? I'll grant you this, he wouldn't have put in that kick that the titans intercepted like Brown (who seemed a little bit kick happy one almost came off, the other was a disaster)

Could be a combo of both? One things for sure, Seymour needs to show some signs of life before the end of the year or John will be all over him to take his spot next year...Johnson too if he can improve his D

Reaction score

DanKokoro_old

I love the arrogance of your posts, vintage Dan. Seymore had a bludger of a game. Seymore is a professional footballer and is paid to make clean accurate passes 10 out of 10 times.
i just straight up love you.. Yeah Seymour was crap i agree, I just don't know how anyone can be ripping in to Seymour when Maloney didn't play any better. I also think that Maloneys consecutive drops on the 1st/2nd tackles in attacking sets pretty much summed up a game of wasted opportunities to put pressure on the Titans, and turn that pressure in to points.

Reaction score

Spence_old

They were both shit. at least seymour was mostly invisible and scored a try though instead of dropping the ball everytime it came near him...
I agree though, I think we've gone backwards due to john being hurt...hopefully he gets a crack in the 2011 trails to get the 7 back. It would unfair if he didn't
I love that our best half had a good game because he was invisible.

Reaction score

Iafeta_old

I just love the knee-jerk reactions to be honest. In truth, I'm loyal to James like a brother from another mother. And, I reserve making a holistic judgement on Seymour because frankly over 100 games that would EASILY be his worst performance for passing.

In terms of the comment that we've gone backwards since Isaac's injury, my opinion is you can trace that comment further back when James and Brett started to form a very nice partnership in the middle part of the season, albeit for 2 or 3 games, before injury struck again. I thought they looked the goods as a partnership earlier in the season, and continue to get my backing for the rest of the season with Isaac, and frankly, Shaun Johnson 's D still being as soft as a marshmallow.

Reaction score

Northern_Union

i just straight up love you.. Yeah Seymour was crap i agree, I just don't know how anyone can be ripping in to Seymour when Maloney didn't play any better. I also think that Maloneys consecutive drops on the 1st/2nd tackles in attacking sets pretty much summed up a game of wasted opportunities to put pressure on the Titans, and turn that pressure in to points.
And i reciprocate your love with ardour :grouphug:

At no stage have i ripped into Seymore. All i've said is that he has been poor for the last two matches and that second dropped ball from Maloney was infact due to poor pass from Seymore. Geez if thats ripping in then this forum has gone softer than the Sharks forwards pack.

Top Bottom