General Is this the twilight of democracy?

Noitall

Noitall

TBH, it’s not the 1 percenters, both internationally and NZ, where I think the issue is. According to a report from the CTU last year, the two wealthiest Kiwis combined net worth is greater that the combined net wealth of the lowest 30%.

The founder of Farmers, Robert Laidlaw was, at in stage, one of the richest men in NZ. He was also a Christian who, when he started Farmers, donated 10% of his income. When he sold the business, he was donating over 80%.
I understand there are plenty of generous people who are in extreme wealth too. Your next post highlights where I’m coming from with my sentiment.

Miket12

Miket12

I understand there are plenty of generous people who are in extreme wealth too. Your next post highlights where I’m coming from with my sentiment.
It’s hard to see how to distribute the extreme wealth. You’d think communism would be an answer but of the top countries with the most billionaires, one is still a communist country (China), one is a communist territory (HK) while a third is a former communist country (Russia).

It would seem, the versions of communism around the world hasn’t eliminated extreme wealth either.

I’d like to see an introduction of death duty in NZ, with a progressive system to help rebalance the economy.

wizards rage

wizards rage

If you’re married and on the jobseeker benefit in NZ, you “earn“ more than 90% of the world’s working population.
This highlights the whole problem.

Those rich beneficiaries on a words scale should be taxed huge sums to assist the worlds poor according to the distribution experts.

Yet in NZ those rich 10%ers are living in relative poverty.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Noitall

Noitall

It’s hard to see how to distribute the extreme wealth. You’d think communism would be an answer but of the top countries with the most billionaires, one is still a communist country (China), one is a communist territory (HK) while a third is a former communist country (Russia).

It would seem, the versions of communism around the world hasn’t eliminated extreme wealth either.

I’d like to see an introduction of death duty in NZ, with a progressive system to help rebalance the economy.
The only way is probably decency, so never going to happen. How would your death tax work? The way property has become, an inheritance is probably the only way many will own a home. There may also not be such an emphasis on owning your own home in future generations?

Miket12

Miket12

The only way is probably decency, so never going to happen. How would your death tax work? The way property has become, an inheritance is probably the only way many will own a home. There may also not be such an emphasis on owning your own home in future generations?
Bring it in so under a certain amount, there is no death duty (DD) and then increase the tax as the inheritance value increases.

Say, under $4M, there is no DD then from $4-6M, it's 10%, then any amount between $6-10M, it's 15% and any amount between $10-25M, it's 20% and any amount over $25M is 25%. Don't base it on the value of the estate because that will be "hidden" overseas or in trusts but on the combined amounts distributed in NZ. Any NZ resident who tries to bring money or assets back into NZ from overseas which they've inherited gets taxed the same way.

Also, reintroduce "gift duty" starting at $500,000 at 20% up to $25M and increase it to 25% above $25M to stop people distributing their wealth while they're still alive.

drake83

Biden was overseas at the time of transition from Obama to Trump. It was staff that removed the files.
Trump could have used the same excuse, and returned the files, and nobody would have known anything about it...but he didn't...and still isn't.
That won't stop Fox though.
Turns out Biden was overseas he was in Ukraine at the time what was he doing there he wasnt running for president he wasnt trying to build better diplomatic relationships next question is why was Hunter paying 50 k a month for rent in aarket that was around 5k a month.

Was he getting the big guy his 10 percent?
His crack head son had access to those documents the nation's secrets atleast at maralago they were locked up.
But with Joey Bids it was OK because his corvette was in the shed.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Turns out Biden was overseas he was in Ukraine at the time what was he doing there he wasnt running for president he wasnt trying to build better diplomatic relationships next question is why was Hunter paying 50 k a month for rent in aarket that was around 5k a month.

His crack head son had access to those documents the nation's secrets atleast at maralago they were locked up.

If you look at the Hunter Biden issue, the guy is a sad fuck for sure. FFS he even had an affair with his late brothers missus, so he is fair game to be called a loser.
However, more to the point...
On MSNBC today Chuck Todd asked GOP Congressman Ron Johnson (a visitor to Russia during the Trump years) if Hunter was such a bad guy, what about Jared Kushner scoring US$2 billion from the Saudis.
Are they going to investigate that?
Johnson spat the dummy and accused Todd of left wing bias. He then went on a rant so Todd could not reply. Todd politely told him to go back to Fox.
Sorry guys, and all you носок русский тролль on here, but the word is that Kushner sold classified information to the Saudis to get himself out of the shite with that real estate deal in Manhattan.
Whatever Hunter Biden did, and according to Johnson it was shagging Russian hookers FFS...that was nothing in comparison.

bruce

bruce

Contributor

Also just gotta say.

General Michael Flynn. a traitorous Trump stooge and Russian asset claims the Biden documents were planted by Democrats because they don't want him to stand in 2024.
Add to that it is well known that Biden does not trust his Secret Service guys.

So those things are now in the public domain, what they means I don't know, but to me something smells fishy.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

If you look at the Hunter Biden issue, the guy is a sad fuck for sure. FFS he even had an affair with his late brothers missus, so he is fair game to be called a loser.
On MSNBC today Chuck Todd asked GOP Congressman Ron Johnson (a visitor to Russia during the Trump years) if Hunter was such a bad guy, what about Jared Kushner scoring US$2 billion from the Saudis.
Johnson spat the dummy and accused Todd of left wing bias. He then went on a rant so Todd could not reply. Todd politely told him to go back to Fox.
Sorry guys, and all you носок русский тролль on here, but the word is that Kushner sold classified information to the Saudis to get himself out of the shite with that real estate deal in Manhattan.
Whatever Hunter Biden did, and according to Johnson it was shagging Russian hookers FFS...that was nothing in comparison.

Both should be investigated, and if the evidence is there, charged, end of. This should not be about left and right

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Also just gotta say.

General Michael Flynn. a traitorous Trump stooge and Russian asset claims the Biden documents were planted by Democrats because they don't want him to stand in 2024.

So those things are now in the public domain, what they means I don't know, but to me something smells fishy.

What rational Americans have to consider is that both Presidents from both parties have been found with classified documents. If this is political maneuvering then what do they think about classified documents for political games.

drake83

It should be investigated I wonder why the democrats did not when they had the power, but they were infatuated with trying to get Trump. Anything come of Trumps taxes?

drake83

Also just gotta say.

Yes I have heard that theory as well who would the democrats put up to run. Certainly not Harris or the governor of California.

Reactions: bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Yes I have heard that theory as well who would the democrats put up to run. Certainly not Harris or the governor of California.
I think there is an any anybody but feeling in the party, although planting classified documents sounds far fetched.

To be fair it is a bad look on Biden, even though he has cooperated with the DOJ. Biden is clearly past his prime, and they only need him to beat Trump, who will not be running.

There are plenty of candidates in the wings, especially women. Gretchen Whitmer was Bidens choice for VP, but she wasn't black or from California. Amy Klobuchar is pretty smart, and there are others.

However ladies and jellybeans, and to all the носок русский тролль on here, the word is that Kushner delivered classified documents on nuclear armaments to MBS (Saudi buzz saw) for Trump.
Why you might ask?

Well you might ask why Mohamad buzz saw gave US$2 billion to Jared Kushner? Cos he surely did, no doubt about that.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I think there is an any anybody but feeling in the party, although planting classified documents sounds far fetched.

To be fair it is a bad look on Biden, even though he has cooperated with the DOJ. Biden is clearly past his prime, and they only need him to beat Trump, who will not be running.

There are plenty of candidates in the wings, especially women. Gretchen Whitmer was Bidens choice for VP, but she wasn't black or from California. Amy Klobuchar is pretty smart, and there are others.

However ladies and jellybeans, and to all the носок русский тролль on here, the word is that Kushner delivered classified documents on nuclear armaments to MBS (Saudi buzz saw) for Trump.
Why you might ask?

Well you might ask why Mohamad buzz saw gave US$2 billion to Jared Kushner? Cos he surely did, no doubt about that.

Both parties put up the person they want, the people have not got a say in it. To replace Biden it will have to be another corporate democrat.

If true Kushner should spend the rest of his days in a windowless cell. Hunter Biden needs to be investigated as well.

Reactions: Akkerz and bruce
AlexM

AlexM

Depends… what’s the definition of new wealth?

‘The top 1 percent have captured nearly twice as much new wealth as the rest of the world during that period, according to Oxfam's annual inequality report, released Sunday. Their fortune soared by $26 trillion, while the bottom 99 percent only saw their net worth rise by $16 trillion.’

New wealth is generated by innovation, business, invention and capital investment. The ‘rich’ are creating it and the poor whose wealth has still risen $16 trillion has benefited. If you are not prepared to risk and don’t ‘create’, like 99% of the population, how much do you expect of the ‘created’ new wealth?

I think the solution is more than just trying to tax more income which hasn’t worked - wealth is very different to income.

But we also need to be careful what we wish for… Without the innovators and risk takers, the poor may not get that 16 trillion in new wealth…
You must have read Atlas Shrugged or something Wiz.

wizards rage

wizards rage

You must have read Atlas Shrugged or something Wiz.
Had never heard of it but I googled it because of you 👍

Capitalism isn’t perfect but it’s delivered unprecedented increases in the standard of living world wide and much higher than every other economic system.

Yea, there’s extreme inequality but as the stats show even the lowest NZers are in the top 10% of incomes worldwide. Our poverty in NZ is luxury compared to lives 100 years ago.

Reactions: AlexM and drake83
AlexM

AlexM

Had never heard of it but I googled it because of you 👍

Capitalism isn’t perfect but it’s delivered unprecedented increases in the standard of living world wide and much higher than every other economic system.

Yea, there’s extreme inequality but as the stats show even the lowest NZers are in the top 10% of incomes worldwide. Our poverty in NZ is luxury compared to lives 100 years ago.
Always room for improvement mate :)

Reactions: wizards rage