General Is this the twilight of democracy?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
What system throws up this POS...Madison Cawthorn...the youngest guy in congress

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
This woman makes Diane Abbott and some of the American republicans vaguely competent. A UK MP Claudia Webbe questioning the foreign Secretary in a cabinet committee. For some reason known only to herself, we should be suing Belarus

An MP’s salary is about £82k plus expenses a year btw

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I cannot believe someone voted for that imbecile. Although in some electorates you could up a dead cat and it would win. Same over the world.

Australia having 3 levels of Government, local, State and Federal, throw up some real five knuckle shufflers.

Here in NZ we have List MPs where all kinds of party hack dickheads can get an MP gig.. If a party gets 5% or more of the vote they can have List members depending on percentage won.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
An MP’s salary is about £82k plus expenses a year btw
Probably about the same here, but not worth it to any person capable of running a decent business...that is why we are getting these dropkicks...

I googled her...quite an impressive academic record...so she can spell her name...but heyzeuss spare me...what a drop kick.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I cannot believe someone voted for that imbecile. Although in some electorates you could up a dead cat and it would win. Same over the world.

Australia having 3 levels of Government, local, State and Federal, throw up some real five knuckle shufflers.

Here in NZ we have List MPs where all kinds of party hack dickheads can get an MP gig.. If a party gets 5% or more of the vote they can have List members depending on percentage won.
She is just an extreme example. This is a worldwide trend for some reason.

This clip from Noah Chomsky is titled coronovirus but is is more about the doomsday clock and describes coronovirus as a much smaller threat than climate change and nuclear war. His punchline is:

"...if we are leaving our fit to sociopathic buffoons we are finished."

Reactions: Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I didn't quite know where to put this, but, guys, be careful what you post about what happened in Auckland today, the case has suppression orders from the Courts so we do not want the site or anybody being done for breaching those orders.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I didn't quite know where to put this, but, guys, be careful what you post about what happened in Auckland today, the case has suppression orders from the Courts so we do not want the site or anybody being done for breaching those orders.
Good call. I fucked up a while back and said something about a shitty seibold rumour and not allowed on the naughty chair thread, it was even on the league news sites. Never intended what potentially could have come from it. Couldn’t believe everybody kept mum on the Vatuvei scandal.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
I haven't yet seen what happened in Auckland today as have been out in the bush. Will read shortly.

However, is suppression SOP these days? Seems like it.

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
MMP isn't perfect, and I didn't vote for it.

Especially when all those god botherers got in early on and showed the power of the church vote.

However that settled down.

The thing about MMP is the popular vote wins, and there is no gerrymandering. It doesn't matter how many National or Labour MPS win seats, the seats get proportioned by the popular vote.

It is the gerrymandering of the first past the post system in the USA that is leading to facism.

We got close to that here where Muldoon started picking on the press and any civil servant who crossed him.

If one goes back to the 1950s the country was run by either Federated Farmers or the Federation of Labour. Both had a lot of power, and usually a small cabal in either actually called the shots.
I voted for Single Transferable Vote (STV) back in the 90s voting referendum. And MMP was belted out on tv all the time and first past the post and stv were hardly ever mentioned. Brainwash tactics I reckon, anyway after a bit of research STV would of allowed me to vote for candidates by ranking.. instead of parties stacking their party lists with people we can't vote out..

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I voted for Single Transferable Vote (STV) back in the 90s voting referendum. And MMP was belted out on tv all the time and first past the post and stv were hardly ever mentioned. Brainwash tactics I reckon, anyway after a bit of research STV would of allowed me to vote for candidates by ranking.. instead of parties stacking their party lists with people we can't vote out..
Great post.

Being a conservative type, paranoid about Communism or anything left of centre I voted for the status quo. I don't need to apologise, it didn't matter ;)

I agree with you however, and it is highly relevant as to the advertising.

It was government funded and I believe very fair, but it never really went into depth about pros and cons.

The most basic thing is that FPP, and anything based on areas is prone to gerrymandering. That is now showing as not only outdated but seriously dangerous.

One thing nobody foresaw back then was internet generated propaganda.

Reactions: the borg

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Terrifying how the Religious right in Texas are making these witch hunt laws for Women who have abortions.

America is a farking mess. Most backward Western country and is in full reverse.

Comparisons are being made to a handmaidens tale, neighbours dobbing in neighbours.

One day they will come for us.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
America is a farking mess. Most backward Western country and is in full reverse.
This clip exposes the undisputed truth that the (Saint Barack) Obama administration forced Edward Snowden to Moscow when he really wanted to go to South America...and then they, especially Hilary Clinton claimed he had to be a traitor because had gone to Moscow.

Snowdon was not a traitor but a whistleblower...the arms lobby wouldn't like that.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Also when Osama Bin Laden was based in the Sudan, and the Sudanese wanted help in getting rid of him e.g. a drone strike the CIA said let us send him to Afghanistan instead.

So when he attacked the USA from Afghanistan, they invade that poor country, when no Afghans were even involved in the 9/11.

Then as soon as they invaded Afghanistan they offered bounty rewards for anybody dobbing in Al Qaeda.

So anybody unpopular got dobbed in and sent to Guantanamo, when they were not Al Qaeda, just dirt farmers and the poor bastards are still there.

You couldn't make that shite up.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Also when Osama Bin Laden was based in the Sudan, and the Sudanese wanted help in getting rid of him e.g. a drone strike the CIA said let us send him to Afghanistan instead.

So when he attacked the USA from Afghanistan, they invade that poor country, when no Afghans were even involved in the 9/11.

Then as soon as they invaded Afghanistan they offered bounty rewards for anybody dobbing in Al Qaeda.

So anybody unpopular got dobbed in and sent to Guantanamo, when they were not Al Qaeda, just dirt farmers and the poor bastards are still there.

I see you watched the Netflix doco.

• Love

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Afghanistan was only a training area, thecountry most behind 9/11 was Saudi Arabia. Bin Laden and I think 19 of the 21 terrorists on the plane were Saudi. Extreme Sunni Wahabi terrorism comes from Saudi Arabia.

• Love

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Being the 20th anniversary of 9/11 Michael Moore offered a free screening on YouTube of his movie Farenheit 9/11.

I had never bothered to watch it, but had heard things about it.

Especially about the role of the Saudis involvement in 9/11.

I knew it got a mixed reception in Merka, people either loved it or hated it, nobody in between.

So this was years before Donald Trump and the MAGA crowd, but the ingredients were there way back then.

An advantage I have had since then is seeing "Vice" about Dick Cheney which added another angle.

Just IMO, but that country is stuffed. I cannot see any way back.

Liz Cheney is the white knight standing against Trump over 1/6. She is very close to her father and right on side with the oil and arms industries. So my guess is she is in it for more than altruism.

The "sane" :rolleyes: right wing have lost control of Trump, and he took them out of Afghanistan.

Reactions: Worried2Death

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
Whether it is left or right, if it is allowed to progress unchallenged, it ends up with people in ditches.

Democracy, though often inefficient, allows us to avoid this.

And democracy must have free speech, because without it you are not free to challenge.

The cost is that you have to listen to dickheads, but it is a price worth paying.

Right through history, contrary views have pulled us out of holes, without them we would still consider the world flat.

There is no reason to believe contrary views won't continue to pull us out of holes, unless we somehow believe we are at the peak of humanity (which unfortunately each generation tends to believe to some extent).

Reactions: wizards rage

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings