General Is NZ now a Police State ?

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Gee the quality of Meth has really gone up from the days when I was confiscating it off people.

That stuff looks like Walter White made it.

Terrorism? hmmm....I would love to say yes. It is a compelling question, really would love to see people with caches really get dealt to.

But do we want to dilute what we understand to be terrorism, I dunno...

Kind of funny story:

The makers of "Breaking Bad" actually filmed the meth making scenes in the order the product would be made and in editing, deliberately mixed the scenes up/left scenes out so BB wouldn't become a How To Make Meth TV show.

Agree with you about the "microchip in the vaccine" theory. Surely, if that was true, you'd want everyone to get it. On the back of a genuine, serious illness that would make everyone nod and go "Yep! That measles sounds awful! Gimme that shot!" and then spend their lives wondering why they always had this weird feeling that a drone, just out of sight, was always following them...:p

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
There is an interesting case of a man imprisoned for seven years under the three strikes rule after trying to kiss a female stranger.

The man is a known Schizophrenic.

The case is before the supreme court.

I do not support people with mental illnesses, who know the difference between right and wrong, being let off the same penalties as the rest of us face.

However, this person has the most ravaging difficult to treat illness that their is, and seven years is too long as a non negotiable arbitrary punishment.

The Human rights commission is supporting his case in court.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
There is an interesting case of a man imprisoned for seven years under the three strikes rule after trying to kiss a female stranger.

I do not support people with mental illnesses, who know the difference between right and wrong, being let off the same penalties as the rest of us face.

However, this person has the most ravaging difficult to treat illness that their is, and seven years is too long as a non negotiable arbitrary punishment.

Prisons seem to have doubled as psychiatric facilities since the closure of the kingseats and lake alices around the country were closed down.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Prisons seem to have doubled as psychiatric facilities since the closure of the kingseats and lake alices around the country were closed down.
Yeah that is right and it is a triad of people dumping, it is an at least threefold issue.

The streets have become the homes of many.

Prison....and then Prison overflow sees some hardcore dangerous inmates released to be immediately picked up by community psych who then admit them to hospital.

It is a very dangerous space to work in these days.

Reactions: dean and Noitall

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga

I had a family member with mental illnesses...

But 3 strikes... why wasn’t he treated or in a facility earlier? Better off the street, if he’s going around repeatedly kissing female strangers.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
With our ballooning debt levels I still wonder why we aren't investing more in infrastructure while we can. We have the land available at Manukau superclinic which I believe was gifted to the council so they could build a new hospital to ease the pressure on Middlemore and the city. Could and should have a world class facility there including mental health and addiction services.

Reactions: dean and Tragic

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I had a family member with mental illnesses...

But 3 strikes... why wasn’t he treated or in a facility earlier? Better off the street, if he’s going around repeatedly kissing female strangers.
As Noital posted, times gone buy someone like this would have found long term refuge in an institution.

Kissing random woman does not qualify as a significant risk to yourself or others. I know you can argue for scenarios where it does, but compared to where the bar is set these days, he is too light weight to warrant taking up an acute bed in a hospital.

The demand is incredibly high.

The crown will argue that the man was mentally well and engaging in antisocial behaviour.

It is an interesting case since I do not know much if anything about our supreme court, if the law is pretty clear, then you would expect that he cannot get off.

Clearly the law needs looking at in the first place.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
As Noital posted, times gone buy someone like this would have found long term refuge in an institution.

Kissing random woman does not qualify as a significant risk to yourself or others. I know you can argue for scenarios where it does, but compared to where the bar is set these days, he is too light weight to warrant taking up an acute bed in a hospital.

The crown will argue that the man was mentally well and engaging in antisocial behaviour.

It is an interesting case since I do not know much if anything about our supreme court, if the law is pretty clear, then you would expect that he cannot get off.

You could argue Intent.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

I don't know whether the law needs changing. Policies about these people needs to change, even if they had respite homes where these people could go and feel safe in and be assessed in a safe clinical way.

A lot of these people have been in prisons and police cells and are institutionalised to the extent they can have a sleep in a dry warm cell and a meal.

We have all heard of the statistic relating to suicide, youth suicide, student suicide. Did you know they refuse to collect statistics of community based mental patients.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I don't know whether the law needs changing. Policies about these people needs to change, even if they had respite homes where these people could go and feel safe in and be assessed in a safe clinical way.

A lot of these people have been in prisons and police cells and are institutionalised to the extent they can have a sleep in a dry warm cell and a meal.

We have all heard of the statistic relating to suicide, youth suicide, student suicide. Did you know they refuse to collect statistics of community based mental patients.
I had not heard that about Stats, nothing surprises me. People get a really shitty deal once they get a label.

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
The Govt decided to wash it's hands of people suffering mental health about 35 years ago. A model of putting them into mainstream society, paying them a benefit and fingers crossed they could cope, taking their medication, getting stimulation and being happy. This has been a total failure and never been addressed by successive Govts. Unless a persons family can help them, they are pretty much on the scrap heap as far as I can see. Most families do not have the expertise little own the finances to be able to cope as much as they may love the person. Police are left as the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff and probably do as much as anyone to help.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
The Govt decided to wash it's hands of people suffering mental health about 35 years ago. A model of putting them into mainstream society, paying them a benefit and fingers crossed they could cope, taking their medication, getting stimulation and being happy. This has been a total failure and never been addressed by successive Govts. Unless a persons family can help them, they are pretty much on the scrap heap as far as I can see. Most families do not have the expertise little own the finances to be able to cope as much as they may love the person. Police are left as the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff and probably do as much as anyone to help.

Very true. I have a special needs daughter who is in her early 40's. Reasonably cognisant but has no idea about time, money etc.
From the time she was 18 the so called support services have been trying to get her into a house with 3 or 4 other clients to give (so they say) a sense of responsibility and freedom.

No one knows their children better than parents so we have steadfastly refused as we could see a train wreck approaching.
We had a visit one day in 2014 from a carer with a signed piece of paper saying our daughter wanted to go into one of the homes. Not bad considering she is technically illiterate and can only read and write her own name.

Upshot is, after complaining across the board, we got no where and we decided to take her to Australia. Their support services are far superior and even though we have to pay for it over there, it's worth every penny. We commute between there and here on a seasonal basis.

Just a pity Covid came along and made life difficult. C'mon JA where's the bubble?

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

Things appear to be getting worse with guns.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga

Things appear to be getting worse with guns.
Being kind in action 🙄

Reactions: dean and Inruin

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Don't understand exactly what National want. Collins asking for police to monitor and check on people self isolating while Bridges wants them cracking down on gangs and guns.
I would hope that the police can manage to do more than one thing at a time.... otherwise we're really stuffed especially if they're currently checking all the vehicles arriving and leaving Auckland. ;)

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I would hope that the police can manage to do more than one thing at a time.... otherwise we're really stuffed especially if they're currently checking all the vehicles arriving and leaving Auckland. ;)
They are already doing more than one job at the same time. Checking vehicles leaving and arriving in Auckland. As well as all the normal things ;)

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings