General Is NZ now a Police State ?

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The Herald reported the death, Radio NZ National hasn’t confirmed it yet. They are still saying in critical condition, man i hope that’s up to date.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
This is very politically incorrect & somewhat insensitive to say, but when I saw the headline ... "POLICE OFFICER SHOT DEAD" ... I got a simultaneous sense of dread & relief upon completing the article.

Dread that this is what NZ may be coming to & relief that it happened out west & not in the southside.

The southside is a big area & contrary to what a lot of outsiders think it's not all a hood held down by the gangs & their sycophants.

Condolences & aroha nui to the officers whanau.

Last edited:

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
This is very politically incorrect & somewhat insensitive to say, but when I saw the headline ... "POLICE OFFICER SHOT DEAD" ... I got a simultaneous sense of dread & relief upon completing the article.

Dread that this is what NZ may be coming to & relief that it happened out west & not in the southside.

The southside is a big area & contrary to what a lot of outsiders think it's not all a hood held down by the gangs & their sycophants.

I have worked in various jobs all over Auckland. I have always felt comfortable enough in South Auckland. There are places in West Auckland I wouldn't get out of my car.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

I Lived in Massey, but not long enough to consider myself a Westie. It is a tough hood, with most young people well aware of the dominant criminal fraternity...rhymes with Led punters...

Even in the years I was there, I was acutely aware that the West has a different subculture to the South of Auckland. Same problems, but different more organised, and I would say definitely more 'proud and parochial' about their locale than the depressed areas of the South.

It's funny though, In casual social chit chat with some youth in the West, they would say 'You're from South side, you must be from a bad hood". I would point out that we don't have a near by state forest to bury our dead in, otherwise its much the same, that would break the ice with the young'uns....

Both parts of the city have extremely violent offenders. I tend to see the West as more inclined to pull a firearm on you...whereas out south you are either clubbed to death by big fists, stabbed, or if it is a meth thing shot.

South Auckland I agree is nowhere near as bad as is made out, for most part, however it can be dangerous country if you aren’t known in your patch there as someone who is okay, does lots of fight training, and is probably best left alone.

Last edited:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I know I bang on about this...
We (NZ) really need to address the poverty/inequality issues.
This will help ease the drug / gang problem over time.
Im sorry man but i dont think it will. There is only one solution that will really work and that is the decriminalisation of all drugs. This will remove the crime aspect of drugs, depower the gangs and allow users to no longer feel persecuted. Users would then be able to come forward an seek treatment with govt support in a different way than they can now. Or not, but they would be able to stop using really dangerous drugs like meth and move to safer versions, like coke or heroin. Yes they are safer than the alternatives. Especially if your getting a known quantity and power of the same drug each time as if it came from a pharmacy.

But the number one thing is to depower the gangs and change the way drugs are dispensed. look at the fundamental thing that happened in the attack. He used a gun, why did he have it, because he was afraid of being ripped off or attacked. If you want things to change then you have to stop the war so the "soldiers" no longer have a reason to fight. No reason to fight, no reason to have a gun.

I agree poverty and inequality are big issues and drugs and are a part of this, but this war mindset is all about having two societies. The legal government one that we all know and understand that is funded by taxes and a second Dark or illegal one that is funded by drug money. All power, fear and violence related to this second society is related directly to the exchange of money for drugs. 2 societies cant exist inside the same space, and btw the drug one is winning at the moment. The war on drugs was lost as soon as it began they only had to look at the war on alcohol (prohibition) held in the US to see how it took small stand over hoods and created massive criminal enterprises called mafias. Nothing that i am sure your not aware of.

TLDR: Until we stop the war on drugs, some people are going to act and react like soldiers. Its not right, but it is what it is.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Just over a traffic stop... obviously they were ready to snap and the police were the people on the receiving end.

I dont know if this is salient or not in regards to the shooting that has just happened, its just a thought, but in every case there has been a crackdown on drugs there has been a corresponding uptick in violence perpetrated by the gangs. Where they used to be beatings, now they use bats, they used bats now they use weapons etc
With the lock-down and subsequent lack of visitors from overseas, this may have created a similar situation making drugs harder to get and more valuable, just like if there had been a massive crack down.
Like i said may not be at all relevant, but it may be whats going on here. Just such an unusual situation for NZ and making me speculate

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
As a westie all my life, there has always been a rough undercurrent with Massey. Also other places out west, but I've had enough experiences myself to validate it, and sadly this isn't surprising to me at all.

I've seen young guys walking round topless, face masks, carrying wooden bats with nails and casually walking down the street. These are the people that want to emulate African American gang culture and live and breathe that image.

Obviously no idea who these fuckwits are that have caused this incident, whether they were under the influence of drugs or not, but it feels like these are the kind of people dumb enough to see the media coverage of black lives matter and thought they are suddenly allowed to push the boundaries and that police are wrong.

I'm really gutted. Obviously in regards to the police officer that has passed. But also because I want west Auckland to be better than this, but this just reminds me that you can tart some shit up, but the problems are still there.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
As a westie all my life, there has always been a rough undercurrent with Massey. Also other places out west, but I've had enough experiences myself to validate it, and sadly this isn't surprising to me at all.

I've seen young guys walking round topless, face masks, carrying wooden bats with nails and casually walking down the street. These are the people that want to emulate African American gang culture and live and breathe that image.

Obviously no idea who these fuckwits are that have caused this incident, whether they were under the influence of drugs or not, but it feels like these are the kind of people dumb enough to see the media coverage of black lives matter and thought they are suddenly allowed to push the boundaries and that police are wrong.

I'm really gutted. Obviously in regards to the police officer that has passed. But also because I want west Auckland to be better than this, but this just reminds me that you can tart some shit up, but the problems are still there.
Good post Kestrel.I had an interesting experience today & shows other peoples perspectives.In our club was a little old guy.Well into his 70s and having a quite beer.Mentioned he had heaps of guns in his house (in secure cabinet) but doesnt like the Govt register because if someone hacks the gun register they will know what guns he has & where they are.Why the fuck would he have a lot of guns.He has trouble walking around??

Reactions: Sup42

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Good post Kestrel.I had an interesting experience today & shows other peoples perspectives.In our club was a little old guy.Well into his 70s and having a quite beer.Mentioned he had heaps of guns in his house (in secure cabinet) but doesnt like the Govt register because if someone hacks the gun register they will know what guns he has & where they are.Why the fuck would he have a lot of guns.He has trouble walking around??
Why have guns?
Ok here are a couple of reasons
He's an old hunter an it's part of his memories
Two he's old an wants to be able to defend himself an his family
He might like collecting them
His sons or daughters might come an pick him up to go for a shoot
Once a month or so
He might keep one handy for the day he feels to old

Look there are many reasons for people to own guns

In the states the state with the lowest crime rate it was compulsory for
Every person who has no criminal convictions an no mental health issues
To carry a gun .I read several items about it 8 or so years ago
Our violent gang problems an bullying stand over culture would end within
Months with a well armed population
How many lives would have been saved it the mosque patrons had carried guns ..

Reactions: Worried2Death

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Why have guns?
Once a month or so

Can't agree.

NZ has very low gun deaths period because citizens aren't armed to the teeth.

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
Why have guns?
Once a month or so

Absolute ludicrous statements. You only need to point to America & its gun culture to show how incorrect nearly all of what you said is.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Can't agree.

NZ has very low gun deaths period because citizens aren't armed to the teeth.
This is true but but we have an extremely high violent crime rate
An in many cases people are to scared to even report them .So the true figures are even higher .
It is in fact very easy to get an illegal firearm in NZ around the $1000 dollar mark will get you a piece an 30 rounds .
I still stand by what I said about the mosque
A similar situation happened when a black man opened fire in a Christian
Church in the states last year 2 deaths an one of them was the gunman .

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
There is a "mass shooting" every 10 days statically in the US.

I'm actually surprised that there are people in this country that think allowing the entire population to be armed would be a good thing.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
There is a "mass shooting" every 10 days statically in the US.

Each of those is a tradgedy no doubt

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the states
An the highest gun violence stats at 4000 per year
California is second toughest gun laws

Places that are banned from gun carries in the us
Some states differ
Schools
Places that serve alcohol
Sport stadiums
Places of worship
These are the places that are getting hit .So called soft targets .
I honestly don't know about nut sacks But they exist with or without guns
A couple of medical professionals have hit kill numbers in the hundreds
Cars kill smoking kills .We have had serial arsonists it's a human problem
Not a gun problem .

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Each of those is a tradgedy no doubt

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the states
An the highest gun violence stats at 4000 per year
California is second toughest gun laws

Places that are banned from gun carries in the us
Some states differ
Schools
Places that serve alcohol
Sport stadiums
Places of worship
These are the places that are getting hit .So called soft targets .
I honestly don't know about nut sacks But they exist with or without guns
because in the places you have mentioned guns are still readily available. It's not rocket science .

You can't carry guns in school. Well, school should be safe then. Shit, another mass shooting in a school. Probably should let all the kids carry guns then there wouldn't be any problems.

Oh my.....

I wasn't even going to respond to cars kill, smoking kills, medical professionals kill but I suppose I have to.

Just because one thing happens doesn't make it right, or necessary to allow another completely unrelated thing to happen.

No guns, no gun deaths. Simple as that.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings