General Is NZ now a Police State ?

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
My mates reckon the Fuzz can now barge into your home with "NO" Warrant

I reckon the Covid crisis has given the Government an excuse to look for Patriots.

Right Wingers who may or may not pose a threat

Re the Christchurch Tragedy

Comments ...

Reactions: Off The Bench

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Not sure if the Bill that Labour was ramming through last night was passed into legislation but yes a part of it would give the Police powers to enter your home without a warrant if they believed you were having a social event bubble exceeding 10 people.
So BBQ's at the local MC pad will have to be carefully planned whereas dinner parties among colleagues had better not involve 11 people tripping off their tits!!

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
They originally wanted to put it through so they had the powers for 2 years. That go scaled back to 3 months.

I didn't see any reasoning given for the 2 years. If it was for covid-19 are they expecting to be working on this for that long? The long period does open it up for scrutiny.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Your mates are right & wrong. The popo can enforce a no warrant search of your home, your person and or your vehicle ... but here's what most kiwis don't know ... they've had the power to do that since the early 2000's.

During that period an amendment was made to The Misuse of Drugs Act that gave police the power to perform no warrant searches under the "presumption of supply".

Even though our whole legal system is based on the premise of "innocent until proven guilty" this piece of legislation assumes the opposite ... "guilty until proven innocent" ... and under that banner the police have the "legal" right to perform no warrant searches with almost total impunity.

The popo in NZ have had the power to bust into your house, rip it to pieces, search your person & your property for years & the only reason they need is to suspect you of breaking The Misuse of Drugs Act. They don't even have to prove or justify their suspicion ... under the "presumption of supply" the mere suspicion is justification enough.

Under that banner ALL New Zealanders are essentially guilty until proven innocent regardless of whether you are innocent or not.

As for Covid-19 ... history shows that when we the people give our supposed governing bodies any kind of power that infringes upon our civil liberties they are extremely resistant to relinquish that power once they have it.

My understanding of this new bill is that Level 2 Covid protocol will be enforceable by law eg: social distancing, no large assemblies, higher risk people (sick, elderly etc) made to "stay home" etc.

If that's correct then I for one say fuck all that ... our forebearer's literally fought & died in two world wars to afford themselves & all the came after them the right to personal freedom & sovereignty & I think they'd all be turning in their graves to see us all potentially give it up so meekly .

Conspiracy theorists will tell you that this is the beginning of global government better known as the New World Order. And the NWO's modus operandi ??? ... to create a docile global workforce or another way to put it ... a planet of slaves.

Sounds batshit crazy yeah !?!? (pun intended lol) ... ordinarily I'd agree ... but look around ... batshit crazy is now the new normal.

Last edited:

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Sorry guys & girls but I'm going to turn a bit "Mt Wellington" here and have a rant.
For weeks I like many others have followed the rules and it's been the right thing to do.
I'm not sure about the police state but what the hell is going on now sure worries me.
And it's this :
We are at Level 2 right & things are supposed to be a bit easier so what's with me not being able to get the local bus without registering my details & the service required online first.
I travel off peak and there's never more than 6 on the bloody thing anyway. Distance no problem. Can understand that it would be a problem for city peak hour commuters but the bus companies have records of passenger loads - how many want to go where & at what time. With a bit of trial & error they should be able to organise public transport ffs without knowing the ins & outs of a duck's arse.

Decided to walk instead to the not so local shops & get fresh bread from Couplands thinking it would have to be a better treat than the sodding pizza delivered on Wednesday.
Checked online to make sure they were open and found customers have to sign in - "for Tracking purposes" Pretty sure I heard on the Covid blurb last night that all business's
except retail had to take names & details of staff & visitors.

Can anyone explain why we should give our full names, addresses & phone numbers to these people to do with what they want. We need to be careful here.
How do we know what this info will be used for - I suspect "virus tracking ''isn't the full answer. They can get stuffed - I'm pissed off & will likely have a booze up on the weekend too. - just 4 of us though.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
We've switched to contact tracing being the priority.

I'd imagine that if Joe Bloggs who had contracted coronavirus visited the Mad Butcher they could contact and test people without hassle.I found it weird at first and was a little defensive, but that has subsided. It is a pain in the arse though. I just visited Placemakers and had to sign in three different departments of the same store!

At schools we have way bigger social gatherings because students are contact traced throughout the day. The impetus is on us to suspend any students who sneak off site to the dairy or to have a smoke because we lose the ability to know who they have come in contact with.

All of this seems a bit futile, but I appreciate the sheer number of critical decisions the government is having to constantly make without as much due diligence as they would like. I'm amazed at how few clangers have come out to date.

For some naive reason I trust Labour with these extra measures than the National 'sneak in the GCSB law under the distraction of the flag referendum' Party. Besides Google knows more about us than we do, mobile phones log our movements. Privacy is becoming a thing of the past.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Your mates are right & wrong. The popo can enforce a no warrant search of your home, your person and or your vehicle ... but here's what most kiwis don't know ... they've had the power to do that since the early 2000's.

During that period an amendment was made to The Misuse of Drugs Act that gave police the power to perform no warrant searches under the "presumption of supply".

Even though our whole legal system is based on the premise of "innocent until proven guilty" this piece of legislation assumes the opposite ... "guilty until proven innocent" ... and under that banner the police have the "legal" right to perform no warrant searches with almost total impunity.

The popo in NZ have had the power to bust into your house, rip it to pieces, search your person & your property for years & the only reason they need is to suspect you of breaking The Misuse of Drugs Act. They don't even have to prove or justify their suspicion ... under the "presumption of supply" the mere suspicion is justification enough.

Under that banner ALL New Zealanders are essentially guilty until proven innocent regardless of whether you are innocent or not.

As for Covid-19 ... history shows that when we the people give our supposed governing bodies any kind of power that infringes upon our civil liberties they are extremely resistant to relinquish that power once they have it.

My understanding of this new bill is that Level 2 Covid protocol will enforceable by law eg: social distancing, no large assemblies, higher risk people (sick, elderly etc) made to "stay home" etc.

If that's correct then I for one say fuck all that ... our forebearer's literally fought & died in two world wars to afford themselves & all the came after them the right to personal freedom & sovereignty & I think they'd all be turning in their graves to see us all potentially give it up so meekly .

Conspiracy theorists will tell you that this is the beginning of global government better known as the New World Order. And the NWO's modus operandi ??? ... to create a docile global workforce or another way to put it ... a planet of slaves.

Sounds batshit crazy yeah !?!? (pun intended lol) ... ordinarily I'd agree ... but look around ... batshit crazy is now the new normal.

Crap, I was a Cop and used those provisions. You had to have reasonable belief that an offence MODA was there, that is more than suspicion.

You have to identify yourself and state the section and subsection.

You also had to submit a report afterward giving full disclosure. I left in 2004 so there are probably more requirements now.

There is also recent pursuit where if they run into a house the Cops can follow.

It is quite surprising the number of entry without warrant provisions. They are generally not abused as Cops dont want to lose them.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
site
We've switched to contact tracing being the priority.

I'd imagine that if Joe Bloggs who had contracted coronavirus visited the Mad Butcher they could contact and test people without hassle.I found it weird at first and was a little defensive, but that has subsided. It is a pain in the arse though. I just visited Placemakers and had to sign in three different departments of the same store!

At schools we have way bigger social gatherings because students are contact traced throughout the day. The impetus is on us to suspend any students who sneak off site to the dairy or to have a smoke because we lose the ability to know who they have come in contact with.

All of this seems a bit futile, but I appreciate the sheer number of critical decisions the government is having to constantly make without as much due diligence as they would like. I'm amazed at how few clangers have come out to date.

For some naive reason I trust Labour with these extra measures than the National 'sneak in the GCSB law under the distraction of the flag referendum' Party. Besides Google knows more about us than we do, mobile phones log our movements. Privacy is becoming a thing of the past.

I agree that the measures to date have been totally necessary & have proven very successful & I too am grateful it was through Ardern's team we got there. I doubt National would have been as strong. However we need to move on & the situation at Placemaker's
(for cusomers) prove's how ridiculous things can get

Copied this from the NZ Govt Covid :

--------------- "Who needs to collect contact tracing information

All businesses, except retail, must record details of all people’s movement on their premises. They should also keep people 1 metre apart at all times, where practicable.

Retail stores should still keep records of their employees and any visitors, such as maintenance workers or suppliers. They need to keep customers 2 metres apart at all times, where practicable." -----------------

Reactions: surfin

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Sorry guys & girls but I'm going to turn a bit "Mt Wellington" here and have a rant.
For weeks I like many others have followed the rules and it's been the right thing to do.
I'm not sure about the police state but what the hell is going on now sure worries me.
And it's this :
We are at Level 2 right & things are supposed to be a bit easier so what's with me not being able to get the local bus without registering my details & the service required online first.
I travel off peak and there's never more than 6 on the bloody thing anyway. Distance no problem. Can understand that it would be a problem for city peak hour commuters but the bus companies have records of passenger loads - how many want to go where & at what time. With a bit of trial & error they should be able to organise public transport ffs without knowing the ins & outs of a duck's arse.

Decided to walk instead to the not so local shops & get fresh bread from Couplands thinking it would have to be a better treat than the sodding pizza delivered on Wednesday.
Checked online to make sure they were open and found customers have to sign in - "for Tracking purposes" Pretty sure I heard on the Covid blurb last night that all business's
except retail had to take names & details of staff & visitors.

Can anyone explain why we should give our full names, addresses & phone numbers to these people to do with what they want. We need to be careful here.
How do we know what this info will be used for - I suspect "virus tracking ''isn't the full answer. They can get stuffed - I'm pissed off & will likely have a booze up on the weekend too. - just 4 of us though.

Do you know how contract tracing works? I suggest you spend more time educating yourself and less time complaining

• Haha
Reactions: demco and Akkerz

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
site

I agree that the measures to date have been totally necessary & have proven very successful & I too am grateful it was through Ardern's team we got there. I doubt National would have been as strong. However we need to move on & the situation at Placemaker's
(for cusomers) prove's how ridiculous things can get

Copied this from the NZ Govt Covid :

--------------- "Who needs to collect contact tracing information

All businesses, except retail, must record details of all people’s movement on their premises. They should also keep people 1 metre apart at all times, where practicable.

Retail stores should still keep records of their employees and any visitors, such as maintenance workers or suppliers. They need to keep customers 2 metres apart at all times, where practicable." -----------------

Move on? Hahahaha wow there are some really slow adjusters around here who think we are through this thing. We are a few km into a marathon atm. Seriously get some real problems to complain about

• Haha
Reactions: demco and Murraytd

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Interesting what I’m reading about contact tracing in NZ- do you have to leave your details manually? In Aus there’s an app that will digitally record details, i know most cafes/restaurants can’t/won’t let you dine in unless you have the app. Telling today when NSW premier is telling us not to use public transport

Reactions: Murraytd

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Interesting what I’m reading about contact tracing in NZ- do you have to leave your details manually? In Aus there’s an app that will digitally record details, i know most cafes/restaurants can’t/won’t let you dine in unless you have the app. Telling today when NSW premier is telling us not to use public transport
Seems like our kiwi tech company for the contact tracing app fell through.
So buying my beer tonight it was pen and paper, name and phone number....

I don't blame the Govt for giving a local crowd the chance to to come through....but yeah....its ended up being stone age tracing

Faithful

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 16, 2017
Seems like our kiwi tech company for the contact tracing app fell through.
So buying my beer tonight it was pen and paper, name and phone number....

I don't blame the Govt for giving a local crowd the chance to to come through....but yeah....its ended up being stone age tracing

I went for a beer and a meal last night and was able to log my details online via https://covidregister.nz/ but doesn’t seem widely used - imagine trying to chase back through paper registration particularly if someone misplaced a sheet 😱

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Move on? Hahahaha wow there are some really slow adjusters around here who think we are through this thing. We are a few km into a marathon atm. Seriously get some real problems to complain about

No real answer but thanks for your suggestions. Get some real problems you said - well my avatar might give you a clue as to why I'm so shitty about this. Legally blind - will that do ya?
Actually I'm quite well versed on the subject of contact tracing - been really successful at Marist hasn't it ? Poor sods can't get a break
Don't sweat it mate - Only 2 weeks till league starts so you keep loving your virus and with caution I will continue to live my life. This bloody thing has cost us all enough already..

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings