General Is it time?

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
My opinion is SK is shaping the team for the rounds 1-5 method of destroying opponents.

It doesn't require a massive pack. It requires a massive commitment.

It could be the masterstroke needed to win the comp.

And yeah I think Pulu will run from the bench too.

Beale is smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: dantheman

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 7, 2012
Man beginning of the year I had no hope in this team every year I could always talk myself into a best case scenario or a positive what if this happens or that happens?

But this year I couldn’t do it and thought anything about 10th I would be happy with this team has been such a pleasant surprise that I am starting to believe I don’t think they have the horses esp in the forwards to go with the likes of the storm,rabbits or roosters but the finals is a momentum game and whoever seems to be the healthiest tends to make a run this team seems to be getting back to full strength just in time.

I’m just really happy that the top 8 hoodoo is done and dusted anything extra is just a bonus to me given how these last 7 years have gone I’m super proud of the way this team has overcome all the negativity around them and had a really strong season.

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
Have that feeling taking me back to when Stacey came back early from injury and lead the team out the tunnel against the Doggies.
Still remember Paul Rauhihi's look in awe when our general marched out.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
This is one of the best chances we have at winning a Grand Final in our history for a few reasons :

Our health at this late stage of the season, only other team who is close are the Sharks.

In terms of form, 36 is the most points we have scored in a match this year. We have attacked adequately this season but I get the feeling we have only hit 3rd gear so far.

This is one of the closest competitions we have ever seen, with only one team (Storm) being two wins ahead of us. Coincidentally the Storm are the only team who have beaten us twice this year. The only other team in the top 8 that we haven't tasted victory against are the Sharks.

Teams don't want to play us in a knockout game. While we have become a different team over the last two seasons in terms of game plan, our squad's DNA still contains skills and play that no amount of video or coaching can ever prepare for.

While we haven't made the finals since 2011, our finals/grand finals experience that we have in our roster is actually very good.

Our Away record is the best in the comp (equal with the Storm). Fact is that no matter where the Warriors finish now, if they're to win the big one they have to string a few games together on the road.

And finally, we have a reason. Simon Mannering, arguably the club's greatest ever player is calling it quits, let's send him out a Legend AND a Champion!

I was thinking the same things with a few differences. Yes, the injury situation is good. Key players coming back at just the right time. Most notably, Harris. As you mentioned, our points have been low, and I expect his presence to make a difference in that right side connection. Also Shaun Johnson's kicking at times has been utter crap, and I believe we would have had a couple of 40 or 50 pointers but for his kicking.

It is open this year. Anyone's premiership this year, but home advantage may play a deciding factor and the extra chance. I think if we survive the first two games we would be the team nobody wants to play.

Our see our strengths as:

1) Our away record is way better than our home record, so this may actually play into our hands.
2) I believe the above happened because our team prefers a hard pitch to run freely on. That is when Warriorball flourishes best. Notice we struggled to score at home even against Titans. Where once a cold, wet rainy night guaranteed us a win, now it hinders our mojo. Our players visibly seem to lack spark when the track is heavy. So for me away games are a plus.
3) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck seemed to know exactly how and when to fire up the team. He hasn't missed a beat. It will not be lost on him that returning to finals after 6 years of crap is a big deal. He will fire the boys up like never before.
4) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Harris, Blair, Hiku, Green, Luke, Beale, Shaun Johnson, Mannering have all tasted GFs. That's a first for our club to have that much experience.
5) Mannering retiring. He will play his best. The rest of the team should 'Die for Mannering'.
6) If we play like we did in the first few rounds, particularly against the Rabbitohs and Roosters, we will win. No question. Use the width of the park. If we do that successfully, nobody will touch us.

Reasons for concern:

1) Our losses stunned us each time. The nature of them was unfathomable at times.But is that just an indication that we expect them to win every time we watch now?
2) Storm thrashing was kinda on the cards. Our bubble had to burst at some stage. Young bodies had to crack after weeks of exceptional play. But the scoreline brought back nightmares of the past and opened old wounds for fans.
3) The Broncos loss was inexplicable. You couldn't work out what was the problem, it came from nowhere. Home advantage, best form in years, Young Broncos team not expected to make the 8 this year. WTF happened?
4) The Roosters loss came after we owned them first time. Was our home advantage too. To get beaten 32-0 was comprehensive and on paper sounds like we were out of our depth.
5) The Rabbitohs loss begged the question whether our smaller forwards really were a liability against bigger teams.
6) The Panthers loss was deflating. On paper we should have flogged them. But we got flogged instead. Inexplicable.
7) Titans thrashing. Same as above.
8) Bulldogs loss was stupid and scrappy. We played into their hands.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I was thinking the same things with a few differences. Yes, the injury situation is good. Key players coming back at just the right time. Most notably, Harris. As you mentioned, our points have been low, and I expect his presence to make a difference in that right side connection. Also Shaun Johnson's kicking at times has been utter crap, and I believe we would have had a couple of 40 or 50 pointers but for his kicking.

It is open this year. Anyone's premiership this year, but home advantage may play a deciding factor and the extra chance. I think if we survive the first two games we would be the team nobody wants to play.

Our see our strengths as:

1) Our away record is way better than our home record, so this may actually play into our hands.
2) I believe the above happened because our team prefers a hard pitch to run freely on. That is when Warriorball flourishes best. Notice we struggled to score at home even against Titans. Where once a cold, wet rainy night guaranteed us a win, now it hinders our mojo. Our players visibly seem to lack spark when the track is heavy. So for me away games are a plus.
3) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck seemed to know exactly how and when to fire up the team. He hasn't missed a beat. It will not be lost on him that returning to finals after 6 years of crap is a big deal. He will fire the boys up like never before.
4) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Harris, Blair, Hiku, Green, Luke, Beale, Shaun Johnson, Mannering have all tasted GFs. That's a first for our club to have that much experience.
5) Mannering retiring. He will play his best. The rest of the team should 'Die for Mannering'.
6) If we play like we did in the first few rounds, particularly against the Rabbitohs and Roosters, we will win. No question. Use the width of the park. If we do that successfully, nobody will touch us.

Reasons for concern:

1) Our losses stunned us each time. The nature of them was unfathomable at times.But is that just an indication that we expect them to win every time we watch now?
2) Storm thrashing was kinda on the cards. Our bubble had to burst at some stage. Young bodies had to crack after weeks of exceptional play. But the scoreline brought back nightmares of the past and opened old wounds for fans.
3) The Broncos loss was inexplicable. You couldn't work out what was the problem, it came from nowhere. Home advantage, best form in years, Young Broncos team not expected to make the 8 this year. WTF happened?
4) The Roosters loss came after we owned them first time. Was our home advantage too. To get beaten 32-0 was comprehensive and on paper sounds like we were out of our depth.
5) The Rabbitohs loss begged the question whether our smaller forwards really were a liability against bigger teams.
6) The Panthers loss was deflating. On paper we should have flogged them. But we got flogged instead. Inexplicable.
7) Titans thrashing. Same as above.
8) Bulldogs loss was stupid and scrappy. We played into their hands.
Good read bro.

I watched that Broncos loss a couple of times. It is one of those games that doesn't look as bad on replay...and the Broncos season has ended up providing some context.

The Broncos have been lethal against top sides, and crap against lower sides (sure you already know that) they came out hard and fast and the Warriors were caught out, later in the game the Warriors made a spirited come back (Which is completely missing from some of those other games you mentioned).

They made a gutsy reply to the beating by the Storm on ANZAC day in the second half, they were at least competitive, that game exposed how thin our depth below the top players sits, it also exposed what a Liability Pita Hiku is and Mason Lino, if you don't have Tohu Harris tightening up a whole edge of the team.

The other losses, some were down to the reality that our small pack cannot win without a top hooker.

Still, none of it takes away from the fact that the Warriors have mental problems.

Stephen Kearney referred to them taking short cuts in the Dogs game, and I think that sums up their problem, they try to get through some games as easily as possible without doing the hard yards, you see it when it is there...and you see it when it is absent.

Most of us know in the first twenty minutes if the Warriors are going to win or not (barring that disgraceful fold against the Titans) in other words they are good enough, the rest is Mental.

In some ways, because they are fragile, they are best to finish low, and have it in their minds it is the hard road or no road,

Part of me suspects if the Warriors had a spare life in the finals they would fritter it away anyway and damage their drive.

I hope too that we get the hardest teams and are forced to play our best, those conditions would see this team kill the demons.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Just seen on the NRL site that Warriors home finals will be at Mt Smart (not Eden Park) - good stuff

These two articles are good for anybody who wants to know more about how the finals all work :

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/30/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2018-nrl-finals/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/27...-could-play-in-week-one-of-the-finals-series/

If we get a home final, we will play either on Saturday at 8pm or Sunday at 6pm. The Warriors (and SKY TV) would like to push it to Sunday so that it doesn't clash with the All Blacks.

The winner of the 6 vs 7 game goes on to meet the loser of 2 vs 3, which is looking likely to be Rabbitohs vs Roosters.

Likely opposition teams for the finals if we were to keep winning :

Week 1 : Broncos
Week 2 : Roosters
Week 3 : Storm
GF : Rabbitohs

Reactions: RobRoyMcCoy

Sammyw11

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 8, 2016
These two articles are good for anybody who wants to know more about how the finals all work :

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/30/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2018-nrl-finals/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/27...-could-play-in-week-one-of-the-finals-series/

If we get a home final, we will play either on Saturday at 8pm or Sunday at 6pm. The Warriors (and SKY TV) would like to push it to Sunday so that it doesn't clash with the All Blacks.

The winner of the 6 vs 7 game goes on to meet the loser of 2 vs 3, which is looking likely to be Rabbitohs vs Roosters.

Likely opposition teams for the finals if we were to keep winning :

Week 1 : Broncos
Week 2 : Roosters
Week 3 : Storm
GF : Rabbitohs

lol thats potentially the hardest run in possible haha

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I wouldn't put my house on it.

But if the Warriors don't bring home the bikkies, my Mum and Dad are going to have an interesting Monday 1 October when they get turfed out of theirs. :)

I expect we'll get past the first game just and lose, not badly, in the second week against a Top 4 loser who's looking to Smash The Warriors And Drink Beer and they have no beer...

Reactions: Sup42

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I love that you guys are able to see the dream, the warriors need more fans like that and not sad cynical bastards like me.

If we play Broncos week 1, we are fucked. If we play dragons or Panthers we are a fair shot of progressing. I dont see us getting past week 2 of playoffs.

While the whole comp has been inconsistent this year, we have had 2 or 3 terrible games that I think puts us at risk of having a shit game at some point in the next month.

In my mind that shit game could be either tonight or next week. Ugh.

Last edited:

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
I love that you guys are able to see the dream, the warriors need more fans like that and not sad cynical bastards like me.

If we play Broncos week 1, we are fucked. If we play dragons or Panthers we are a fair shot of progressing. I dont see us getting past week 2 of playoffs.

While the whole comp has been inconsistent this year, we have had 2 or 3 terrible games that I think puts us at risk of having a shit game at some point in the next month.

In my mind that shit game could be either tonight or next week. Ugh.

I am pretty confident for week 1 regardless, week 2 worries me the most. But if we win that I think they will make the GF

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Panthers scare me because they won't play as badly against us as they did last time and their left edge against Hiku is frightening.

Sharks bother me because they're a boring, grinding team who always win scrappy.

Storm bother me because Smith does more refereeng than the two guys in charge.

Aside from that - meh. Bring the fuckers on.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings