General Is it time?

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
Is it time to dare to dream?
Now, I'm always a glass half full person :) so may be setting myself up and I'm philosophical about getting it wrong... but he who dares, wins.
Although already proud I'm going to put all my positivity into the Warriors lifting the Shield this year! Go the Warriors!

Interesting that last night on Matty John's show last night - can't stand the narcissistic idiot & his other regular fools but watch anyway to see if the Warriors get more than a cursory sarcastic comment or two - that Madge and Johns' father (who Matty Johns said was pretty good at picking the comp winner) both picked the Warriors.
The Warriors were Madge's first pick and he had another pick as well (can't remember who). Madge's answer was considered and he said Mooks is doing really good things.

Johns' father didn't hesitate and the panel were taken aback by his answer and then were choking on their (not very confident) sniggers...a far cry from when Billy Slater before the season mooted to another panel that he had the Warriors as the most improved team for 2018 & in with a chance.

Started me thinking about the closeness of the comp, momentum going into the finals series, team health and fitness and other things.

They say that Finals footy is a different beast, I think it has always been regarded that way. It's certainly a new comp from the regular season. That premise and how it has evolved are part of the psychological mountain teams have to climb to get to the Shield i.e defence wins games, it is a grind, test- like footy etc
BUT....
Who says it has to be that way?
They are all gearing up for final footy but what if that's turned on its head as it has been the past month? Those out of finals contention have let loose to gain momentum into 2019, are playing footy more like the Warriors and getting great results against top 8 teams.
Reverse psychology is being applied to contenders who are trying to get ready for the finals series by non-contenders and it is working. it has unsettled them

So while most of the other teams have had regular finals experience maybe that will be to the Warriors advantage this year?
Regardless, the Warriors have great defence so can apply it if needed but that is far from their whole game and if they play their own game plan and don't buy into their opponent's its a different ball game...are they there yet? I think they are
The Warriors are playing like real footy players. all of them. Yes, they make mistakes but they have plays that no other team quite has.
The regular 8 contenders are playing like they're a bit busted, injuries are taking a toll, they seem tired. Origin fallout perhaps? (Watch the whole thing be re-scheduled if the Warriors do go on to win lol).
It's incredible that in general the warriors are so under the radar in this unusually close season and I think this will work in their favour.

The Warriors have been building the hunger and desire very nicely, I believe they are going to give it their best shot and surprise us all.
They have their best 2018 team at the ready.
Even if there are a few injuries here and there we have depth with guys that have been thereabouts in 2018 - and they're all doing their bit, slotting in to the team like they've been there all along.
I don't think playing an away game phases them any more.

Haven't fully explored them all but these are some of the reasons I'm daring to dream...what about the rest of you guys?

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Is it time to dare to dream?
Now, I'm always a glass half full person :) so may be setting myself up and I'm philosophical about getting it wrong... but he who dares, wins.
Although already proud I'm going to put all my positivity into the Warriors lifting the Shield this year! Go the Warriors!

Interesting that last night on Matty John's show last night - can't stand the narcissistic idiot & his other regular fools but watch anyway to see if the Warriors get more than a cursory sarcastic comment or two - that Madge and Johns' father (who Matty Johns said was pretty good at picking the comp winner) both picked the Warriors.
The Warriors were Madge's first pick and he had another pick as well (can't remember who). Madge's answer was considered and he said Mooks is doing really good things.

Johns' father didn't hesitate and the panel were taken aback by his answer and then were choking on their (not very confident) sniggers...a far cry from when Billy Slater before the season mooted to another panel that he had the Warriors as the most improved team for 2018 & in with a chance.

Started me thinking about the closeness of the comp, momentum going into the finals series, team health and fitness and other things.

They say that Finals footy is a different beast, I think it has always been regarded that way. It's certainly a new comp from the regular season. That premise and how it has evolved are part of the psychological mountain teams have to climb to get to the Shield i.e defence wins games, it is a grind, test- like footy etc
BUT....
Who says it has to be that way?
They are all gearing up for final footy but what if that's turned on its head as it has been the past month? Those out of finals contention have let loose to gain momentum into 2019, are playing footy more like the Warriors and getting great results against top 8 teams.
Reverse psychology is being applied to contenders who are trying to get ready for the finals series by non-contenders and it is working. it has unsettled them

So while most of the other teams have had regular finals experience maybe that will be to the Warriors advantage this year?
Regardless, the Warriors have great defence so can apply it if needed but that is far from their whole game and if they play their own game plan and don't buy into their opponent's its a different ball game...are they there yet? I think they are
The Warriors are playing like real footy players. all of them. Yes, they make mistakes but they have plays that no other team quite has.
The regular 8 contenders are playing like they're a bit busted, injuries are taking a toll, they seem tired. Origin fallout perhaps? (Watch the whole thing be re-scheduled if the Warriors do go on to win lol).
It's incredible that in general the warriors are so under the radar in this unusually close season and I think this will work in their favour.

The Warriors have been building the hunger and desire very nicely, I believe they are going to give it their best shot and surprise us all.
They have their best 2018 team at the ready.
Even if there are a few injuries here and there we have depth with guys that have been thereabouts in 2018 - and they're all doing their bit, slotting in to the team like they've been there all along.
I don't think playing an away game phases them any more.

Haven't fully explored them all but these are some of the reasons I'm daring to dream...what about the rest of you guys?

Everyone’s a chance once finals start but I certainly wouldn’t be counting my chickens just yet.
Still think next year could be a real shot if we can re-sign Luke

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
This is one of the best chances we have at winning a Grand Final in our history for a few reasons :

Our health at this late stage of the season, only other team who is close are the Sharks.

In terms of form, 36 is the most points we have scored in a match this year. We have attacked adequately this season but I get the feeling we have only hit 3rd gear so far.

This is one of the closest competitions we have ever seen, with only one team (Storm) being two wins ahead of us. Coincidentally the Storm are the only team who have beaten us twice this year. The only other team in the top 8 that we haven't tasted victory against are the Sharks.

Teams don't want to play us in a knockout game. While we have become a different team over the last two seasons in terms of game plan, our squad's DNA still contains skills and play that no amount of video or coaching can ever prepare for.

While we haven't made the finals since 2011, our finals/grand finals experience that we have in our roster is actually very good.

Our Away record is the best in the comp (equal with the Storm). Fact is that no matter where the Warriors finish now, if they're to win the big one they have to string a few games together on the road.

And finally, we have a reason. Simon Mannering, arguably the club's greatest ever player is calling it quits, let's send him out a Legend AND a Champion!

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
Everyone’s a chance once finals start but certainly wouldn’t be counting my chickens just yet.
Still think next year could be a real shot if we can re-sign Luke

If I put my rational head on it also says next year but if I turn your first sentence around - Certainly wouldn’t be counting my chickens but everyone’s a chance once finals start.
Yeah...just daring to dream :playful:
Just on Luke, he has been a HUGE part of how we've played this year and would also like to see him re-signed.
The anomaly is he didn't play a huge part on Saturday but it didn't matter.
However, what I liked in the game was the distraction Luke caused off the ball (in response to what happened to him in the tackle) that saw Paasi score...he had them off-guard with a bolshie little punk reaction and they let their guard down as a result. It's what he does (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) but he's good at it, it works, and no one else in the team does it like he does...it would be hard to replace his version of niggle.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
It's time.

I have been thinking the same thing, and every year the Warriors hit the finals is their best ever chance until proven otherwise, though as others have articulated we have somethings running strongly in our favor.

Against the Panthers where it really counted, with Tohu in the team, our defence is excellent when all players switch on.

I could see us restricting any of the teams we play to no more than twelve points against, I know that flies in the face of our for and against fail this year, but that's kind of the point. Having a sudden death reality will favor the Warriors, they will come ready every game.

The other encouraging sign with Tohu back is that our attack across the park looks lethal.

The Forwards hunted as a pack, more dummy runs were put in that game last week than in all our stink games.

There was that period where we focused on our left edge attack, we will be better for it now.

The last thing I noticed is that we have trick plays up our sleeve and are pulling new stuff late in the season (Paasi out of Dummy half was pretty out of it) Tohu putting on an in and away then pass.....Hiku passing clean flat ball in the defensive line.

With those sorts of trick plays we have an edge.

We just need to tackle for our lives and we will have a red hot go at winning the whole thing.

I like that we are hitting form, narrow loss to the Dogs included, we have tidied our act up.

Lets not forget our game has been built off a switch (since the Newcastle game) to seeking to strangle the opposition with repeat sets off short kick offs and in goal kicks (Nathan Brown said we strangled them...his words exactly.

The team who wins this thing won't be the flashy attackers, this is going to be a game management boring final between the teams that can absorb and apply pressure best.

The Sharks Warriors and Storm all look in that class of side.

The Roosters, Rabbits, are not managing pressure well, they can dish it out, but they have been exposed to uncertainty creeping in.

The Dragons and Panthers are counting themselves lucky to be in ahead of the better form Tigers, Bulldogs, and Raiders.

shuffle

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Few things that favour the Warriors is that away record is incredible that and fans will turn up over there also injuries to key players are over (hopefully) just Blake Green to come back. The bench is starting to look like normal again.

Too late to send Kata to Reggie’s so if he fucks up the run to GF glory then well.

Focus from now on in even against the Raiders. Show no fear! Finish the regular season with momentum going into the finals. Can’t wait! Feels like 2002, 2011!

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
Few things that favour the Warriors is that away record is incredible that and fans will turn up over there also injuries to key players are over (hopefully) just Blake Green to come back. The bench is starting to look like normal again.

Too late to send Kata to Reggie’s so if he fucks up the run to GF glory then well.

Focus from now on in even against the Raiders. Show no fear! Finish the regular season with momentum going into the finals. Can’t wait! Feels like 2002, 2011!

I hear you!
Like matuinz I've always thought next year would be THE year and this year has shown we've edged so much more closer so the thing is I wouldn't be distraught if it doesn't happen this year.
Lol, some might say its finals fever but because of the above I feel quite unfazed by all that and am really weighing up our chances objectively.

Over and above how you've prepared there is an alignment of what is possible at any given time and then it passes or is a long time coming round again - seize the day!!
Perhaps how the comp has been this year is the perfect storm for the Warriors to prevail.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
We have a real chance. St George and the Panthers look shot. Melbourne are arguably just ahead of the pack. For everyone else its a roll of the dice on the day.

The top 4 have the obvious advantage of only having to win 3 games, but aside from that I reckon our chances are as good as any. Of course, its so close we could also easily lose in finals round 1.... I'm just stoked we are going into finals with a genuine hope this year.

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
I say we can go the distance and I'm not just saying that as a fan. This is probably the most expereinced team of all the playoff lot we've had over the years. In terms of first grade experience, playoff and grand final experience plus international experience have we ever had more experience across the board in different playoff or otherwise do or die football? I think this team has the perfect balance of experience and new blood that I think they could get to the grand final. To be honest many would just be satisfied for us being there but lets not kid ourselves, based on the talent and experience we have i would expect at least to make the semi-finals, if you fall short against a storm or roosters away, no problem i can live with that. but the last time most of our guys played in the playoffs they were in a grand final, the issue was always getting there never if we could compete once we got there.

We are looking at the moment at getting a potential 2011 run considering the way other teams are losing form. We should at least beat either the broncos,dragons,panthers, weve shown that so i expect a first round win.

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
when I run the rule over the contenders at this time of year I'm looking for a fit squad, an experienced pack and gun players in key positions.
We tick all those boxes.
The winner each year usually has all the stars aligned and the correct feng shui etc

I agree with your comments. Also, I would add a team that has the defensive side of the game sorted. An area where we seem to be doing well with.

I am only really afraid of the Storm and the Bunnies from the top 8

The Storm for obvious reasons. The Bunnies because of their big pack. When they get a roll on we cant compete, particularly if we go with the smaller bench options.

The rest we can compete and beat on our day. Those other two make me nervous and I fear a Warriors capitulation against them.

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Ah 2003. One player doesn't pass the ball at the try line....the more things change the more they stay the same....
Haha I’d just gotten rid of the ptsd Logan Swann flashbacks- now every time Kata runs they’re gonna come back
Keep it under your arm Kata, Don't let these fools mess with your style.

The ingoal is the ball's home. Take the ball home Kata, take it home. Make it happy.

Yeah, gonna get a Iot of pressure.
Rise above it.
Harness in the good energy, bIock out the bad.
Harness good energy, bIock the bad
FeeI the fIow, Kata.
It's circuIar.
It's Like a carouseI.
You get on the horse.
It goes up, down and around.
CircuIar. CircIe. With the music,
Feel the fIow. ALL good things.

ballhome.gif
Harness Good, Block Bad

Stone

1st Grade Fringe