Internationals International Eligibilty Rules

Viking_old

So be it! He is South African after all as that's where he was born!

Although like I said, I do make some allowances for those who were brought to another country at a young age! But ideally, in my opinion, I beleive Merthens was born in South Africa and therefore IMO should of played for the Sproingboks!
You can't make exceptions to the rule, that's what the international body is doing now and it's a mess. My solution is you pick one country and stick to it regardless of eligability. The fringe test players will feel less inclined to bounce between countries if they know there's a good chance they won't get many international games waiting for the big guns to pick them. Giving the likes of Lebanon, the Pacific nations, USA etc a more meaningful test program will help them attract top tier players and grow the game domestically.

Morningstar_old

it's the same concept ... Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc could be considered heritage teams a bit like the Maori team. The players are multi cultural, you've got to bring that into consideration.
The island teams shouldnt be considered heritage teams. Its a bit grating seeing a South Auckland Samoa team and a Western Sydney Tongan team don't you think? Samoa have included a couple of boys from the islands but Tonga have named none even though they have one of the better domestic systems in the islands, dissapointing.

I think the way Fiji have gone about it is the best system, they've got about 8 lads who are of Fijian heritage and the rest are all locals. They've gone there rejuvenated the local game, and then found clubs for their boys in the aussie leagues.

Northern_Union

Yes that is dissapointing that one of the real success stories of rugby league in the pacific is Tonga yet they have included no domestic players. Bit of a kick in the guts for there domestic players. I'd hazard a guess that steems from having an aussie in charge of the Tongan team, Dymock isn't able to see past Sydney as the be all and end all of rugby league.

Fiji is another success story of the pacific, and fully deserve there spot at the world cup.

But geez i just can't go a Samoan team at the world cup.....they invent a team in time for a world cup then fold again in between. They shouldn't be at the cup in my view.

Northern_Union

Oh i forgot to mention, the Kiwis are playing Tonga at Mt Smart next weekend.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
wasnt sure where to put this.... saw it a couple days ago
"A player can now only represent one nation in any calendar year. A player will now be captured by a country if they are named in a 19-man squad or final tournament squad in a nines competition.

Previously, a player was only captured if they made it onto the field."

Kiwis should name Taumalolo, that'll fuck em.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
"A player can now only represent one nation in any calendar year. A player will now be captured by a country if they are named in a 19-man squad or final tournament squad in a nines competition.

Previously, a player was only captured if they made it onto the field."

Kiwis should name Taumalolo, that'll fuck em.
They don’t want him, they politely told him no when he called there offices last year

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
They don’t want him, they politely told him no when he called there offices last year
Really? Source? I'm not saying this is BS. But JT has been one of the main players pushing for Tonga to have more exposure & respect in international Rugby League.
I wouldn't think he'd abandon them now lol....I don't know shit tho.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
If that happened I imagine it would have been when the Tongan players were having a dispute with the board and threatened to boycott.
yes your right I think there was some concern amongst the Tongan players that the Tongan game wouldn't proceed, so they were looking for Plan B

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Really? Source? I'm not saying this is BS. But JT has been one of the main players pushing for Tonga to have more exposure & respect in international Rugby League.
I wouldn't think he'd abandon them now lol....I don't know shit tho.
Are you saying you could not imagine one of those entitled dudes doing that? I certainly can, true or not.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
kiwis: Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell lead a player revolt that sees Gary Kemble sacked as NZ coach.

Reactions: ramraider78

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
kiwis: Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell lead a player revolt that sees Gary Kemble sacked as NZ coach.
Gary Kemble was a fine player in his time, although not in the class of the other two, nor SK. that was the problem, the cash strapped NZRL went for a cheap option and paid the consequences. To be fair they had done that before with Bob Bailey and Tank Gordon but those were in the days before the team was stacked with leading professionals from Sydney.

Reactions: Worried2Death