General International Cricket

Horriors2013

Horriors2013

No matter who wins, I marvel at how much Boult and Southee have contributed to NZ cricket. Both have 300 test wickets and we are always in the game. Then you add Wagner and Jamieson. Seriously good attack. Imagine if Sears and Lockie get test worthy. You've also got Duffy and Henry who won't let you down. It's a golden era.

4th innings Eng 74 - 4. Jamieson with 3 wickets. England target is 277.

Reactions: 1 users

Uster101

After watching a bit of this, we might have well played with 7 players. Latham, Conway, Williamson, and Young might as well not played as they have contributed nothing. These 4 remind me of the Warriors players. Just there for a holiday and a bit of shopping!

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

580ef01a-f29d-4b9b-8f38-8de28125da0b.jpg

Jeremy Coney
Former New Zealand captain on BBC Test Match Special

England have only given New Zealand 12 extras in this game while New Zealand have given England 43 at the moment - that is quite a lot of mistakes.
That was all encapsulated by the non-dismissal of Ben Stokes

Reactions: 1 users
Swanley

Swanley

Just to say I've been to day 1 at Trent Bridge, about to head off to day 2. Feeling pretty chuffed, if we can get to 450, we're in with a chance.

Reactions: 3 users
Swanley

Swanley

Just to say I've been to day 1 at Trent Bridge, about to head off to day 2. Feeling pretty chuffed, if we can get to 450, we're in with a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Two good tight fought test matches that were won with individual brilliance. What I liked especially about both matches is the behaviour and the mutual respect the players have. Typical example was when Southey was unlucky not to take a wicket through either a dropped catch or one that bisected the slips, had a bit of friendly banter with the batsman who clearly agreed he’d been beaten and was lucky. Contrast that with what you get from some of the Aussies, Warner and the like

Five dropped catches per team in the first innings, could have been a much lower scoring game

Reactions: 2 users
#robbiemears

#robbiemears

Very sad to hear of the passing of the great Don Neely, former NZ Chairman of Selectors and a true champion of the game in New Zealand. Don was actually my godfather. He played cricket with and against my father in Wellington for years and they subsequently flatted together while student teachers in and around the area.

Don was just a wonderful person with a wicked sense of humor. During my teenage years, his Christmas present to me would always be a special preview copy of his latest DB Annual. Our running joke would be that I would inevitably find numerous typos in the book, which Don would light-heartedly dismiss as being 'deliberately planted' to make sure I actually read the entire thing.

I have many fond memories of dinners at the Neely's, where Don would regale us all with stories about players past and present. And from time to time, some of those players would pop in for a feed. And, if we were lucky, do some throwdowns with us kids (the Neely's have two sons, both of whom are a little older than me) in the makeshift cricket net that sat out in the small plot of grass in their backyard.

Jeff Crowe was a particular favourite, always friendly and happy to have a hit. As was the Praying Mantis, Jeremy Coney. Don's lovely wife, Paddianne, is Dave Crowe's cousin, so both Crowe's would often be at their house.

And there are more great memories of countless days watching the cricket with Don at the Basin Reserve when he was Chairman of Selectors, knowing that everyone was looking sideways at this legend as he dutifully studied the form of the players. It shouldn't be forgotten that he presided over a golden era of cricket in New Zealand where, despite being minnows of the game, we went undefeated at home for near on a decade.

Don pulled strings when I was a 16-year-old visiting from Sydney, where I was living, and got me into the Kilbirnie Senior team for a game against the very strong Wellington Schoolboys side of the time. I bowled mediocre legspin and got hit into oblivion by a young Selwyn Blackmore before facing the music against the devastating speed of Heath Davis. Damn, he was quick! Wicketkeeper Simon Mannix caught me out for a trivial amount. I was hopelessly out of my depth, but it was a lot of fun.

The last few years of Don's life were tough. So I'm sure there's some relief from those closest to him that he's out of misery. But he will be greatly missed. One of New Zealand finest. Vale Don.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
The cricketers I knew greatly respected Don. In particular his method of selecting players, which he always based on statistical analysis. He has his own way of sorting through stats. A good innings but a sad loss all the same. Did he have cancer?

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Weather forecast for the third test isn’t great which is a shame, Saturday onwards a chance of rain

Reactions: 1 user