Post Match 2023 Broncos vs Warriors - Week 3 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• E

Results are only viewable after voting.
For those that watched the Aussie commentary feeds was that forward pass mentioned?

The NRL clip which includes a live reaction and a replay analysis pretty much doesn't mention it.

It didn't cost us the game overall but it did push the score out to where a comeback was highly unlikely. It will be interesting to see if much is made of it during the week. Klein got pulled from refereeing the rest of the finals due to a clanger. This was missed by Sutton and his side line official. If it happens against the Sydney clubs we hear how embarrassing it is for the sport in a big match with a large audience.

I watched with the fox commentary..And yes Vossy and even Ennis were screaming it's a howler 3 meters forward then a second forward lol

Payne Haas 19 run 228m

91 post contact metres!!

My god he was a handful . We just couldn’t put the guy down on the floor

So many times their forwards stayed on their feet, offloaded or made quick PTB’s

They contained our boys very well

You gonna give respect to the Broncos. They were on fire last night, and we struggled to keep up with their style of play.

Maybe should have tried slowing the game down? I dunno. Outside Penrith no one was beating them last night

Hopefully the GF is ripper. Whoever wins it deserves all the recognition in the world

We now rest. Review. Recoup and March into 2024 better than ever.

Up the Wahs!!!!

I completely agree. Reffing might be trash but it certainly didn't decide the game.

Yeah the better team won on the day.

Nothing to be sad about though. We put in a good shift. Stayed in the fight as best we could.

Plenty of goods things to look at in this game and the Penrith game on how we get better next year

RTS, CHT and Ali joining the ranks. Exciting times ahead. I can’t wait for pre-season next year. It’s gonna be so good. Can’t wait!!! 😊

I think once the emotion is gone, you'll see that the match was just another NRL reffed match. The refs didn't direct the result of this game though. There was a very bad call, and some regular misses we see every week, and it wouldn't be an NRL ref without some inconsistency in enforcing the rules.
That was definitely the case. Sutton did correctly call a forward pass to stop a Broncos try and saw enough of a bobble to go upstairs with a no try call on Mam when he could have given both. I still cannot fathom how anyone on the field could miss the blatant forward pass though. The touch judges seem a bit timid to make calls these days. A scrum at halfway at that point in the game would have been handy, but as evidenced by the desperate defence of the Broncos even in the final 10 minutes I think it was an uphill battle for the Warriors to try and get more than 12 points in the final quarter of that game.

Unlucky guys.

I think it was always going to be a tough ask for the Warriors beating the Broncos at Suncorp when they've had the week off and with the form they're in. Both the Broncos and Panthers have really been a level above everyone else this year. Still you guys fought your asses off and made a lot of Broncos fans very nervous.

That forward pass was an absolute shocker but I don't think it decided the contest. For mine Broncos still go on with it.

It's been a great season for you guys. There's a lot to be proud of and a lot to be excited about in the next couple of years. If you guys have some better luck with injuries and with RTS coming back, I think the Warriors are going to be stronger next year and can definitely see another top 4 finish and a potential GF appearance.
Yes, probably all guilty of fwd passes but the thing about those 2 were that they were blatant and they did change the momentum of the game - made it a bit far out of reach for any comeback contest when hope was probably still there they could still do something.
Agree the Broncos probably still go on to win but it has to be crushing when you're fighting, takes the wind out of your sails & then you have to fight that quickly as well as kick back to them on the restart. Demoralizing.
However the best teams find the way to do that (as the Warriors have at times). But it is what it is.
One of the biggest factors for our guys I think was the game time. We have to adjust most away games to a degree but it's usually only an hour or 2. Our guys body clocks couldn't adjust imo...given a week in Brisbane leading up to the game might have seen a different energy out there. They were starting a game at 10pm our time. I think that impacted & gave us a real disadvantage.
Having said all that, we were outplayed, Broncos would have won anyway as you say. Must be nice also to only have to play so few games away in a season as well, we can only dream about that 😆
Back to the grind of building on what has been started here, lots to build on, to overcome as usual, and improvement next season.
Have always felt a bit meh about the playoffs, very rarely does the unexpected happen in what probably should just be a play-off for the top 2 teams to get a cup and I get more from a team's placing on the ladder after a long hard-fought season...I'm with Gus there, should be a greater reward for winning and placing top 4 for that.
Proud of our team and players, thoroughly deserved top 4 placing in the Premier comp, and looking forward to theirs and Webby's evolution/ revolution in 2024!

Most everyone has summed it up pretty well. I was really concerned last week that we were treating the Knights game as our grand final, and I just wonder if the occasion of both weeks got to the squad a bit.

Last night they played with heart, but not execution unfortunately (refs aside, man how many times did the broncos hold us down illegally?) - the off loads, Payne Haas, the broken play, us just running one up all the time with no counter measures, the ruck speed of the broncos.

So yeah, congrats broncos, completely neutral on the final, both sides have some fine players. Penrith look ruthless, the Broncos upstarts.

My concern next year is what we can do different to this year - it's a patch work side with some aging heroes. We need that second prop, and there's daylight between SJ and our other halves.

And Webby needs a bit of sharp backup in the coaching squad too - we need those points of difference.

Fantastic year, Warriors for life.

Yes, probably all guilty of fwd passes but the thing about those 2 were that they were blatant and they did change the momentum of the game - made it a bit far out of reach for any comeback contest when hope was probably still there they could still do something.
Agree the Broncos probably still go on to win but it has to be crushing when you're fighting, takes the wind out of your sails & then you have to fight that quickly as well as kick back to them on the restart. Demoralizing.
However the best teams find the way to do that (as the Warriors have at times). But it is what it is.
One of the biggest factors for our guys I think was the game time. We have to adjust most away games to a degree but it's usually only an hour or 2. Our guys body clocks couldn't adjust imo...given a week in Brisbane leading up to the game might have seen a different energy out there. They were starting a game at 10pm our time. I think that impacted & gave us a real disadvantage.
Having said all that, we were outplayed, Broncos would have won anyway as you say. Must be nice also to only have to play so few games away in a season as well, we can only dream about that 😆
Back to the grind of building on what has been started here, lots to build on, to overcome as usual, and improvement next season.
Have always felt a bit meh about the playoffs, very rarely does the unexpected happen in what probably should just be a play-off for the top 2 teams to get a cup and I get more from a team's placing on the ladder after a long hard-fought season...I'm with Gus there, should be a greater reward for winning and placing top 4 for that.
Proud of our team and players, thoroughly deserved top 4 placing in the Premier comp, and looking forward to theirs and Webby's evolution/ revolution in 2024!
We flew over Thursday on Air Nz.
No care for settling into the time zone.
The game start time and the fact we didnt prepare for it is the big factor.

I forgot how blistering fast Walsh's acceleration was. Man that guy can get to 100 quickly

Ah well, the better team won on the night. Some reffing howlers, but we struggled with Brisbane’s pace and offloading. We were still a chance until Walsh’s pass but a win was unlikely at that point. We were out on our feet while the broncos didn’t really have sustained pressure put on them

Great season and we now have a legion of new fans to join us, along with a more experienced and well-coached club. For the first time in a long time things are in a good space

Broncos has too much speed and their forwards dominated with their offloads which was the differentiating factor. Seems to be practicing their blueprint to use against Penrith to negate the grind.
Ironically, Johns commented that the Warriors should use offloads on .
The forward pass didn't help as it created scoreboard pressure and forced to do short kickoffs which gives up territory. It was way more forward masked by Walsh's speed considering he passed in the NRL logo and it was caught outside the logo.

Wahs exceeded my expectations this season highlighted by SJ's turnaround. Onwards and upwards.

That was definitely the case. Sutton did correctly call a forward pass to stop a Broncos try and saw enough of a bobble to go upstairs with a no try call on Mam when he could have given both. I still cannot fathom how anyone on the field could miss the blatant forward pass though. The touch judges seem a bit timid to make calls these days. A scrum at halfway at that point in the game would have been handy, but as evidenced by the desperate defence of the Broncos even in the final 10 minutes I think it was an uphill battle for the Warriors to try and get more than 12 points in the final quarter of that game.

The commentators mentioned that after the break, the touch judges hadn't actually caught up to be inline with the play, so can understand them missing it. Now, I know it's technically outside the rules, but I kind of expect that Klein in the bunker would have had more than enough of an opportunity to get in the ref's ear ad tell him 'mate that was a bad one, your call but you should pull that up'.

We flew over Thursday on Air Nz.
No care for settling into the time zone.
The game start time and the fact we didnt prepare for it is the big factor.
I wouldn't say no care. What do you do to get there earlier - forgo recovery? Forgo other important aspects of preparation? It's ok to say do all that over there but logistically it's probably a nightmare.
You could try holding trainings at a later time so the GameDay experience is an extension of that but the first few days there could be risk of injury through fatigue till you adjust? It takes a week to adjust your body clock properly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Timezones impact the Warriors most in a season (we all know travel/ time factors disadvantage us to a degree) and their opposition maybe once when we have a home game - so only some teams once in the season.
This year we've managed most of it so away games we're competitive) but short of re-locating to Oz we have to manage it, find a way.
This finals series was one out of the box & the NRL weren't prepared to accommodate us. That's where the lack of care rests, not on the Warriors

bad luck warriors would much rather you guys been on the other side of the draw as i wanted you guys in the GF this year just not at the expense of my own team,hopefully we get to run it back next year.

just a thought on your back 5 going into next year with RTS coming would a center pairing of RTS/CNK and a spine of 1.TMM 6.metcalf 7.johnson 9.egan be a bit better for you blokes?still get the hard carries from CNK and RTS but a but more play making out of your fullback?

Okay, in the cold light of day the morning after....

Name (or show) me a worse forward pass that was allowed, within the last 20 years.

That was diabolical lol. Still can't believe it was given

Back