2. Tonga
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
Status
Active
All women have psycho tendencies
Just the way they are
She is prob the boss of AFB

What did she say this time. Always keen for everyone to hear her thoughts. Must be a female version of Jazz.
Pretty sure he's been with her a while yeah? Mother of his kids etc.. My guess is she's an 'advisor' and has been in the ear of both him and his manager. This could actually explain a lot.

** Read into this comment from Woolf**

"The media and what came out in the media caught everyone - including him - by surprise a little bit but he's handled it really well,"

Now why would AFB be surprised?

Pretty sure he's been with her a while yeah? Mother of his kids etc.. My guess is she's an 'advisor' and has been in the ear of both him and his manager. This could actually explain a lot.

** Read into this comment from Woolf**

"The media and what came out in the media caught everyone - including him - by surprise a little bit but he's handled it really well,"

Now why would AFB be surprised?
Surprised it was leaked I think.
I’d be very surprised if the leak was from our end though- more likely his management or another club put that out there.

Tbh I'm still not sold on this being 100% over.
Now that things have been 'sorted' for 2024 and this isn't the biggest story in the media any more, you can't tell me if another team comes enquiring for him (Newcastle with the Saifitis, or Tigers with Stefano and Paps etc) for a trade for 2024, that we wouldn't jump on that to have this whole sorry saga over.

Also, how does this now work....is AFB deffo gone for 2025? So are teams who have 1mil + to spend for 2025 now looking at AFB, or is it a 'wait and see'. Quite tricky considering teams are on the hunt right now. Most probably wouldn't leave a spare mill in their 2025 cap just incase all of this turns to custard in 6 months surely

I'm thinking the asking for a release and then quickly agreeing to stay on next year is a strategic manager at play. What he has done is basically put himself on the market for 2025, and let decent clubs be aware that he is available so make sure you have the cap space to fit him in. He won't want to play at a shit club like the Dragons or Dogs, who are probably the only teams who would be able to fit him for 2024 (with some releases you would think).

It also gives the Warriors the feeling of satisfaction with him staying, even though he's going to cut his stay short. I mean this came out right after the November deadline, they are saying don't spend your money for 25, wait for me.

At least this gives us time to sort a plan to replace him, although this has potential to impact team chemistry.

I'm thinking the asking for a release and then quickly agreeing to stay on next year is a strategic manager at play. What he has done is basically put himself on the market for 2025, and let decent clubs be aware that he is available so make sure you have the cap space to fit him in. He won't want to play at a shit club like the Dragons or Dogs, who are probably the only teams who would be able to fit him for 2024 (with some releases you would think).

It also gives the Warriors the feeling of satisfaction with him staying, even though he's going to cut his stay short. I mean this came out right after the November deadline, they are saying don't spend your money for 25, wait for me.

At least this gives us time to sort a plan to replace him, although this has potential to impact team chemistry.
I think this is spot on

Surprised it was leaked I think.
I’d be very surprised if the leak was from our end though- more likely his management or another club put that out there.
Probably Flannegan right?

I mean he was the coach complicit in the peptide scandal.

And doesn't see the irony in denying Ben Hunt a release in similar circumstances - yet comments to the media with enthusiasm about signing AFB.

I think this is spot on
It is somewhat kind of fishy. I absolutely get a player or a player's agent fronting management and saying "Look, I know we have a deal for 2025 in place but I really don't think I/my client will be able to fulfill that because (insert believable reason)".
But this "compassionate grounds" argument: It implies family emergency/personal issues that can't be talked through via a phone call/Zoom/whatever every week and also, frankly, means "I need to leave now."
Definately in the "if we get a good offer for 2024, take it" camp but rather AFB stayed.

The club can now start to look to who we negotiate with to get a good deal for AFB, we should be looking now for 2024 while his value is at its peak

So what is the general consensus here?

1. Parents are sick so want to be closer to them
2. Wifey stirring up the you deserve more talk
3. Another club wanting to poach him ie dogs or dragons
4. A strategic move to increase his salary
5. A mix of a few of these

So what is the general consensus here?

1. Parents are sick so want to be closer to them
2. Wifey stirring up the you deserve more talk
3. Another club wanting to poach him ie dogs or dragons
4. A strategic move to increase his salary
5. A mix of a few of these
Or over the past few weeks hanging and playing with his Tongan bros, a word or two in his ear from a few about being back in the Oz scene, in their team?
Hard to say but certainly something going on in the background of it all

Depending on how savvy you think CG and McFadden are (and remember, CG has done this before when players are in the UK), you could read into Woolf's comment that AFB was genuinely surprised it made the media and the leak was from the club. Given the club's very swift response (including a club statement), I wonder if:
- the release had been put through to the club before AFB travelled to England (with the timing of the family situation noted by Woolf);
- the Warriors had already firmed up their thinking they would definitely need AFB for 2024, but perhaps not beyond; and
- it is actually the Warriors, a club which is in need of at least one (now two) front rowers (which are in short supply), who are letting players and their agents know that we've got $1.1m in the cap to spend for 2025.
Also, the club would be aware of the potential impact on team chemistry (but at least Jazz is behind AFB), so this could bring forward any potential swaps / buys to let AFB go, while also sending a message to fans that the club cares about both the player and season 2024.
Bit of a conspiracy-esq take, and risky in that it potentially pumps up the value of all our targets, but could this be the club shrewdly setting up their negotiations for 2025?

If so then I'm happy to pay him what he's worth, and he's worth more than any other forward we have.

Yeah I agree, except we haven't actually agreed to a release at all I think? We should be aiming to set the terms for his release in 2025, no reason for it to be open market. The only criteria for meeting his needs is a sydney team. At the very least we could surely get a little something back for him.

NRL news: Which clubs are in the $1m race to sign Addin Fonua-Blake | Daily Telegraph​

On the surface, the Warriors have managed to salvage a win from the shock news that star forward Addin Fonua-Blake wants to leave New Zealand for personal reasons.
Instead of walking out on the club immediately, an agreement has been reached that Fonua-Blake remains at the Warriors for at least the 2024 season.

The reality is though, the delay of the 27-year-old’s departure is a bigger win for Fonua-Blake, widely-regarded as one of the most devastating props in the world.

A bidding war is brewing for Addin Fonua-Blake … but which NRL clubs have the space to accommodate him? Picture: Getty Images

A bidding war is brewing for Addin Fonua-Blake … but which NRL clubs have the space to accommodate him? Picture: Getty Images
The additional time – instead of leaving now – will allow rival clubs to re-jig their roster, make room in their salary cap, and prepare for a $1 million-plus pitch for his arrival at his new club in 2025.

A bidding war beckons.

Let’s look at your club’s chance of signing the rare and rough diamond, including every team’s 2024 off-contract list of forwards.

What your club needs to do to sign Fonua-Blake​

Bulldogs​

Off contract 2024 forwards: Samuel Hughes, Max King, Liam Knight, Chris Patolo.
Fonua-Blake is exactly what the Bulldogs are missing; a hard-nosed enforcer up front. However, the Dogs lack of “marquee money” available in their pack at the end of 2024 is an issue. They would need to release a big name player early from their 2025 or 2026 contract in order to bring AFB in.

Rabbitohs​

Off contract: Thomas Burgess, Michael Chee-Kam, Ben Lovett, Shaquai Mitchell.
A genuine chance. Fonua-Blake began his rugby league journey in the Rabbitohs lower grades. Burgess would free-up cap space at the end of 2024, but it would take even more than that, which would entail the early release of an already contracted player to fit AFB in.

Sharks​

Off-contract: Jesse Colquhoun, Braden Hamlin-Uele, Toby Rudolf, Jack Williams
The Sharks have been willing to source their replacements for legendary spearheads Paul Gallen and Andrew Fifita from within their current roster. Yet they can only wait for so long, particularly when a player like AFB emerges. Rudolf, Hamlin-Uele and Williams need huge 2024 seasons, while veteran leader Dale Finucane is off-contract at the end of 2025.

Tigers​

Off contract: Shawn Blore, Asu Kepaoa
Slim pickings for the Wests Tigers to create the necessary space in their salary cap. A window of opportunity could emerge if the Tigers miss the 2024 finals and promising prop Stefano Utoikamanu activates a related get-out clause.

Eels​

Off contract: Makahesi Makatoa, Jirah Momoisea, Ofahiki Ogden
Long odds are the Eels with all their money in the pack tied-up in Reagan Campbell-Gillard (2025), Junior Paulo (2026), Shaun Lane (2026) and Ryan Matterson (2026).

Roosters​

Off contract: Nat Butcher, Angus Crichton, Terrell May, Sitili Tupouniua, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Naufahu Whyte
Here come the Roosters, with a host of big-money forwards off-contract. AFB represents the perfect replacement for club legend Waerea-Hargreaves.

Panthers​

Off contract: Matthew Eisenhuth, Luke Garner, Zac Hosking
The Panthers wouldn’t view AFB as a priority. The Warriors will need an answer of their own to replace AFB, which could lead to the question of an unlikely swap for AFB by taking one of either James Fisher-Harris, or Moses Leota. Both proud Kiwis...stranger things have happened.

Dragons​

Off contract: Jack de Belin, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Dan Russell, Jaydn Su’A
The favourites to land Fonua-Blake if he had been successful in getting out of the Warriors immediately. Saints have money to spend - right now. They will suffer from the new timeline and added competition in the market. They could assist the Warriors by offering one of the Molo brothers or De Belin, who was close to signing with the Warriors in 2020.

Sea Eagles​

Off contract: Zac Fulton, Karl Lawton, Ben Trbojevic, Corey Waddell
Highly unlikely. Manly were content to release AFB to the Warriors in 2020 and they also have massive money tied-up in Haumole Olakau’atu (2025), Jake Trbojevic (2026) and Josh Schuster (2028).

Knights​

Off contract: Mat Croker, Jacob Saifiti, Toni Tupouniua
With Saifiti off-contract, the Knights have wiggle room if they wanted to pursue AFB. Another potential move could be that the Warriors try and lure outstanding young prop Leo Thompson back to his home of NZ, in a swap deal for AFB.

Raiders​

Off contract: Peter Hola, Ata Mariota, Trey Mooney, Pasami Saulo, Elliott Whitehead
Outsiders. He would be the perfect replacement for Josh Papalii, but the champion Raiders prop isn’t off-contract until the end of 2025.

Storm​

Off contract: Nil
AFB wants to move to Sydney to be closer to his parents, which makes it difficult for the Storm to be considered serious contenders. However, nothing was more certain in review of Melbourne’s 2023 season was that they missed a big man in the middle. AFB would solve their problems.

Broncos​

Off contract: Kurt Capewell, Brendan Piakura, Jordan Riki, Martin Taupau
The Broncos already have Payne Haas on over $1 million and still need to retain Ezra Maam and Reece Walsh. Almost impossible to throw similar money at AFB without tearing apart their squad.

Cowboys​

Off contract: Coen Hess, Sam McIntyre, Jordan McLean, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
Little chance. Like the Broncos, the Cowboys have $1 milion tied-up in their pack with Jason Taumololo until the end of 2027.

Dolphins​

Off contract: Jesse Bromwich, Mark Nicholls, Ray Stone, Jarrod Wallace
AFB would make an ideal replacement for Bromwich, but like their interstate rivals, the Dolphins location would make it difficult.

Titans​

Off contract: Jacob Alick, Klese Haas, Isaac Liu, Joe Stimson
No chance with key forwards Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and David Fifita on monster deals.