General If we lose two more what happens to Maloney?

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So if we lose two more games even the mathamatical chance of the semis is gone. If this happens do we continue to pick Maloney? If it happens I think either Carlos lor Pita have to be given game time. I just have a sneaking suspicion that we won't be that ruthless. Remember when Bennett dropped Hodges to the feeder club cos he has signed with the Roosters?

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes we do play maloney,and if we lose two more games we are. 50/50 for the spoon.gulp

Reaction score
Robster

Robster

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
You can't just drop a player because the season is over. However it would make sense to give some new blood a run. All I care as a fan since 1995 is winning a premiership. So if the means giving some rookies experience for next year then I'm all for it.

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You can't just drop a player because the season is over
Why on earth not? If the guy is not going to be here next year I see no reason not to give some experience to the younger guys. If this season is over then the remaining games are all about getting some things prepared for next season

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
As soon as we are mathematically gone, I would drop Brown and Maloney. Hell, I'd drop Brown regardless.

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's not going to happen. The club doesn't treat players like that and nor should they. Do you want Luck dropped as well after everything he's done for the club?

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It's not going to happen. The club doesn't treat players like that and nor should they. Do you want Luck dropped as well after everything he's done for the club?
Definitely. On radio sport Luck has made it extremely clear his priority is leaving the game healthy. I dont think he would care if he was stood down for the last 3 games of the season. Maloney and Brown havent been great this season, its unfortunate that they are leaving the club on such a downer. But imo the club should use the opportunity to give some players some experience.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Maloney, Luck, Brown have been good servants for the club and have played with their heart on their sleeve, and shed blood for the jersey. As long as their form holds, they should be allowed to play out the season. That said, we should also try to blood new players by way of the interchange for next season and see how they go. I believe this weeks naming of Tuimavave(who last week travelled to Perth) was to see how the youngster would go in the NRL, especially since he is offcontract for next year.

Reaction score
Warriorholic

Warriorholic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What tajhay said, these guys have spent years at the club given thier all and have made life time friends and now you want thier last remaining memory of the club to be, when they got told to piss off. We have a whole offseason and preseason to work out combos and try new players. I thought warriors fans would have a bit more loyalty and honour than other clubs, I guess not....

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's actually extremely logical - and they should. if Luck can get back to full fitness, I'd play him while we still have a mathematical chance of making the 8. If not, I'd still give Luck a swansong in the final game of our season, as he's been a great club servant.

Maloney and Brown have not given us half the service Luck has, and do not deserve to be played simply for old time's sake.

Brown has been in shit form most of this season anyway - young Ikahihifo showed more in his debut than Brown has this whole year. If Ikahihifo is dropped to allow Brown a few more mediocre performances for us, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Maloney must play until we are sure things to miss the 8, because he's our best in that position. Once we are out of contention for the 8, play Godinet. He's our halves cover now, and he requires more experience. Even just for half a game, it'd be worthwhile.

I would much prefer the club based selections on logic rather than emotion.

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What tajhay said, these guys have spent years at the club given thier all and have made life time friends and now you want thier last remaining memory of the club to be, when they got told to piss off. We have a whole offseason and preseason to work out combos and try new players. I thought warriors fans would have a bit more loyalty and honour than other clubs, I guess not....
Maybe I'm a sociopath, but this is how I like to imagine team selection in professional sports should work:

1 Form
2 Match-specific strategy
3 Development
4 Emotion

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It's actually extremely logical - and they should. if Luck can get back to full fitness, I'd play him while we still have a mathematical chance of making the 8. If not, I'd still give Luck a swansong in the final game of our season, as he's been a great club servant.

Maloney and Brown have not given us half the service Luck has, and do not deserve to be played simply for old time's sake.

Brown has been in shit form most of this season anyway - young Ikahihifo showed more in his debut than Brown has this whole year. If Ikahihifo is dropped to allow Brown a few more mediocre performances for us, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Maloney must play until we are sure things to miss the 8, because he's our best in that position. Once we are out of contention for the 8, play Godinet. He's our halves cover now, and he requires more experience. Even just for half a game, it'd be worthwhile.

I would much prefer the club based selections on logic rather than emotion.
I agree..and Maloney chose to leave the Warriors. From what I've heard they tried throwing massive money at him, more than other clubs were offering. He didnt want to stay here but his careers far from over.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think there has to be a balance. I can totally see what Hitman is saying, from a development perspective it doesn't make sense to keep these guys running around for the final few games. And some NRL time prior to a full off-season can be pretty useful to give these guys an idea as to what's required, rather than having them debut in rounds 1-5 (Hurrell, Henry) and having to wait until mid-season for them to come to grips with it.

Personally I've wondered what the overall value of the team is going to be in bringing Luck back for a couple of games (if we can't make the 8). Great for him to play a few final games with the boys, and if his replacement is only going to be Elijah Taylor then by all means have Luck play. Though we didn't think any less of Steve Price because he didn't run back out again even when we expected him to, and whether Michael plays between here and round 26 won't change my opinion of him.

I don't think they all need be totally dropped, but certainly having a few guys on the bench etc would be a smart move. I'd prefer that over waiting for the trial games..

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I raised this question specifically around Maloney because he has indicated his overwhelming desire is to be closer to family. Surely he would rather be back in Sydney earlier rather then playing a few extra meaningless games?

As for questioning loyalty my loyalty is ALAWAYS to the club first and the players secondary. By putting players interests ahead of the clubs is that not more disloyal? I openly admit it is a harsh thing to do but I would expect any professional sportsman to understand. Hodges got dropped to the feeder club when he he announced he was leaving the broncos, he obviously understood why as he re-signed with the broncos down the track.

No one has questioned maloneys loyalty for deciding to leave and this is correct. But
Iikewise no should question the clubs loyalty to James if they were able to negotiate an early release to get him back to Sydney. It is not at all uncommon for employees to be paid out rather then being forced to work their notice, this does not mean the employer is disloyal, just moving on

Edit people also forget that Maloney asked for a release at the end of last season aand was turned down. . Asking for an early release kind of dampens the "he bled for the club" romanticism that some are viewing his tenure with. Once again I don't blame him for this but think such things should be considered.

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
we release jimmy to the roosters for the rest of the year so they can pass us on the table

Reaction score

Mr Frank White

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Your post lost all credibility after the above paragraph

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The best team needs to be played regardless of whether or not we are a mathematical chance of reaching the top 8 imo.

We are still a mathematical chance of getting the wooden spoon so it is crucial we don't give up just because we won't be making the finals.

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
yup blood someone else for next season I reckon allowing them as much time in first grade before next season can only benefit the player, the team and his halves partner. As long as it done with class and Maloney is given a send off befitting his service to the club. He'd probably like to spend time in Bondi with his family before preseason with the Roosters anyway.

Reaction score
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with your statement bro, but it'd be nice if this bit in bold actually happened. Seems to be a bloody foreign concept in the Warriors lately. Instead of PT running up and down hills in parks, just spend a couple of hours hitting a tackle bag and getting straight back up and retreating 10m as a unit; run up and down the field practicing draw and pass manoeuvres; hour after hour rehearsing last tackle options... etc etc etc

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with your statement bro, but it'd be nice if this bit in bold actually happened. Seems to be a bloody foreign concept in the Warriors lately. Instead of PT running up and down hills in parks, just spend a couple of hours hitting a tackle bag and getting straight back up and retreating 10m as a unit; run up and down the field practicing draw and pass manoeuvres; hour after hour rehearsing last tackle options... etc etc etc
Id also add to that that, at this time of the season the teams still in the hunt (most we will be playing) are pretty much playing finals footy for positions. Its an opportunity to give these guys experience playing the game at its toughest. It may identify the players who are capable of handling the pressure and intensity for next year.. hit the ground running as opposed to the perpetual "rebuild" when the trials form players fail in the regular season.

Top Bottom