Staff Ian Robson

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Capture832.PNG
I still get mad when I see Greg Alexander on TV. I bet he was worried when they made him come back to the Nines. What a little jerk he turned out to be. Robson did some stupid things in his time but paying out Alexanders contract for doing nothing took the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Exactly, and I still get mad when I see Greg Alexander on TV. I bet he was worried when they made him come back to the Nines. What a little jerk he turned out to be. Robson did some stupid things in his time but paying out Alexanders contract for doing nothing took the cake.
Authorising a car to be blown up on the field at half time against the Bulldogs in '95 - leaving metal fragments all over the pitch - wasn't another of his shining moments! I guess at least he did get them to remove the windows first.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Authorising a car to be blown up on the field at half time against the Bulldogs in '95 - leaving metal fragments all over the pitch - wasn't another of his shining moments! I guess at least he did get them to remove the windows first.
Damn I had a great day that day, actually day, night and next morning, only game I've ever been to in a suit.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Damn I had a great day that day, actually day, night and next morning, only game I've ever been to in a suit.
Birthday Suit? Damn, now I've got an image in my head I did not need to have!!! ;)

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I personally think that the board should have a member on this forum on it - after all, no one else has more passion, better knowledge, more contacts or jerseys than our own Mt.W ..... so I nominate him!!!!
You couldn't get anybody more passionate than Dean Lonergan. He got absolutely no where in his time on the board. His problem was he spoke too much common sense. I guess this board is different though. Eric Watson runs the show and he seems to handed everything to our Jim, oh happy days..

Reactions: mt.wellington

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I gave a funny vote to that...we can laugh twenty years later can't we?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
You couldn't get anybody more passionate than Dean Lonergan. He got absolutely no where in his time on the board. His problem was he spoke too much common sense. I guess this board is different though. Eric Watson runs the show and he seems to handed everything to our Jim, oh happy days..
Smart cookie Dean Lonergan. Said to have quit league after he realised you could make more money organising the games instead of playing them. Think it was Dean who brought over the Green Machine in the early 90's?

Lonergan was a Board member for the Warriors in 1996-97. In Chris Mirams' book Beleaguered! he quoted Dean as saying that his sole reason for wanting to be on the Board was to get rid of our first CEO Ian Robson who he saw as being extravagant and reckless with the clubs finances. The first year the Warriors operated they had a operatiing surplus of $24 million which should have seen the club financially stable for the next decade. Instead Robson splashed it on pre-game entertainment, gifts to players, parties, etc. At the end of 1995 the club reported a $400,000 profit!

Anyway, if that was Deans goal he acheived and by doing so did the club a huge favour. Only wish he stepped in again during the Tainui/Lowe/ Boyle days...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I remember Dean saying it was like Robson was trying to find ways to spend money. Poor old Peter McLeod, all that work to go down the drain like that.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Smart cookie Dean Lonergan. Said to have quit league after he realised you could make more money organising the games instead of playing them. Think it was Dean who brought over the Green Machine in the early 90's?

Lonergan was a Board member for the Warriors in 1996-97. In Chris Mirams' book Beleaguered! he quoted Dean as saying that his sole reason for wanting to be on the Board was to get rid of our first CEO Ian Robson who he saw as being extravagant and reckless with the clubs finances. The first year the Warriors operated they had a operatiing surplus of $24 million which should have seen the club financially stable for the next decade. Instead Robson splashed it on pre-game entertainment, gifts to players, parties, etc. At the end of 1995 the club reported a $400,000 profit!

Anyway, if that was Deans goal he acheived and by doing so did the club a huge favour. Only wish he stepped in again during the Tainui/Lowe/ Boyle days...
All that money, and Robson didn't spend $15 on a clicker for Monie to count the number of interchanges!!!!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
All that money, and Robson didn't spend $15 on a clicker for Monie to count the number of interchanges!!!!
Monie blamed Bob Hall for that, what a wanker. Dean Bell was able to count it in his head in an after match interview.

Those points would have got the club into the top eight. I still can't laugh about it.

Dean Lonergan always claimed Tim Sheens was the man for the job, and he wanted it.

I heard a rumour that Robson came recommended by the NSWRL. I would believe that, his lack of skill was well known over there.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 person

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Also one of his great moments was signing Ruben Wiki in an Ansett lounge and not getting it witnessed...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I remember Dean saying it was like Robson was trying to find ways to spend money. Poor old Peter McLeod, all that work to go down the drain like that.
Peter McLeod said his single biggest regret when setting up the Warriors was hiring Ian Robson. Once he was in poor McLeod was powerless to remove him...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Also one of his great moments was signing Ruben Wiki in an Ansett lounge and not getting it witnessed...
A witness did sign the contract but when the ARL went to find this person they didnt exist. Turns out Robson got it done well after Ruben Wiki signed it by getting the receptionist to forge a fake name and signature.

Good ole Robson aye...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
And he is still getting gigs at sports franchises. I presume he is still at Essendon AFL. He must have an imaginative CV writer.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
We have signed some interesting characters and it's not just restricted to the playing field some of the oddballs have actually been in charge of the club. Robson probably heads the list, he did well getting the club publicity but that man could spend a dollar by all accounts.

I hadn't heard the story about blowing up the car at half time. The Auckland league guy complaining about Robson hiring a helicopter to fly to Waiheke Island and being asked where he is responds I'm about to get on the helicopter to fly back always makes me chuckle. The guys in Auckland must have gone from living on a tight budget to the high life when Robosn turned up.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Did he actually hang around around after Essendons huge peptide fiasco???
Last I heard he was hanging on distancing himself. I made comments at the rime moaning about the lack of Duty of Care shown by Robson and co at Essendon. I remember AFL fans talking about Essendon's injury toll the season before it hit.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Peter McLeod said his single biggest regret when setting up the Warriors was hiring Ian Robson.
I didn't know he said that, but I believe it. Peter was a great guy but some of the others on that board, especially the guy from DB were in way over their heads and Robson played them on a string.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
We could make a list of his "achievements". The Wiki fiasco, the lost money, going to Christchurch Airport for an interview with the Auckland Warriors board, but for me it was paying out Greg Alexander's contract, however I am sure somebody has something better.

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Campbelltown Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

05 Jun

4.9 Total Avg Rating
5.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 18 ratings