Internationals Hurrell To Wear Black Jersey

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6995454/Warriors-Konrad-Hurrell-commits-to-NZ

Tongan-born Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell is set to wear the black jumper of New Zealand.
Tony Kemp, head of high performance at New Zealand Rugby League, confirmed to the Sunday Star-Times that NRL rookie Hurrell, who has played seven first-grade matches, has signed a letter of intent to play for the Kiwis.
The 20-year-old moved to New Zealand from Nuku'alofa in late 2009 on a rugby union scholarship to Auckland Grammar.
He missed out on making the Junior Kiwis for their match against the Junior Kangaroos in Newcastle last October because he lacked New Zealand residency at the time.
"He qualifies for the Kiwi jersey," Kemp said.
"He was three months short of qualification last year which we asked for special dispensation for the Junior Kiwis.
"He has signed a letter saying he wants to play for New Zealand."
Hurrell, who became a Toyota Cup star last year after signing with the Warriors, made his NRL debut against the Sea Eagles in round one this year and has impressed with his explosive, powerful style of play.
Kemp said that while Hurrell still had plenty of work to do to reach international level, the young Tongan centre had every chance of pulling on the black jumper in the future.
"He's definitely an explosive style of player but you've just got to take it into context," Kemp said.
"It's his first year in NRL and there's a lot of development left in the player. If he keeps developing the way he is, there's no reason why he won't be spoken about in the future to wear the black jersey."
Although intensely proud of his Tongan upbringing and family, Hurrell said he would definitely take the opportunity to represent New Zealand if it came his way.
"My heart is for Tonga but if I get the opportunity to play for the Kiwis, I'd take it with two hands," he said.
"I'll always be loyal to [my] country, but I'd always take the opportunities as they come. It's better for me and my family, especially for my future."
Hurrell will probably be ineligible to play for the Junior Kiwis this year, with players not being allowed to have played more than 50 per cent of their club's first-grade games in any given year. The 20-year-old has played in seven of the Warriors' 11 matches so far in 2012.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
It is actually a shame that a proud Tongan like Hurrell does not have a proper opportunity to represent his country of birth.

Reaction score
LoganBear

LoganBear

U20's Player
Reaction score
It is actually a shame that a proud Tongan like Hurrell does not have a proper opportunity to represent his country of birth.
My thoughts exactly. And we criticise the Aussies for poaching Tamou...

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Are they looking at the October test?

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This kind of poaching will never stop until more countries actually play League and the international game grows. If it doesn't then we just have this merry-go-round of poaching players. Perhaps a big reason why people prefer Origin to International.

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is very disappointing. I wish the international scene was strong enough to keep players like Koneleti playing for their home nation.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
We bitch and moan about the aussies pitching Tamou off us and Kemp goes and does this. We're as bad as the aussies.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
And in other Tongan news Ta'ai is about to be shown the door at the end of the season.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
We bitch and moan about the aussies pitching Tamou off us and Kemp goes and does this. We're as bad as the aussies.
That is not true ...

NZ are worse than Aussie. One only has to look at the amount of players born in Aussie as well as players that qualify due to residency i.e. Fien, Webb.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That is not true ...

NZ are worse than Aussie. One only has to look at the amount of players born in Aussie as well as players that qualify due to residency i.e. Fien, Webb.
For sure. We have to be because we have less players in the NRL/ESL

As I said before. More countries have to play before this will stop.

All Blacks have slowly gone away from poaching

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The simple fact is league isn't strong enough to allow the island nations to compete at an international level regularly enough, and to get that experience and the benefits that go with it the Kiwis are his only choice. Even the "world" game of union is full of island players that choose the bigger nations. I understand why it happens but it is also good that so many of them return to their roots towards the end of their careers and can offer something back to the fledgling nations. At the moment Samoa has had the most benefit but guys like Kevin Iro have given alot back to the likes of the Cook Islands.

Edit: One thing that sometimes gets forgotten is the individual still makes the choice and in the end that is down to them as to which way they go and what they feel is best for them.

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sad he wont rep Tonga..did he approach the Kiwis.Or did Kemp go after him????

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I wish he chose Tonga tbh

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
That is not true ...

Agreed re: Webb. But at least the others do have some form of Kiwi heritage.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It's just wrong. Simple issue made complex by dogey rules and self serving Key figures NZ & Australia.

A player like Hurrell who Culturally is 100 % Tongan with no historic tie to NZ , No spiritual link to this great nation , who professes to his heart being one hundred percent loyal to his own nation, should never play for the New Zealand or Australian Mercenaries teams.

Reaction score
Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
It's just wrong. Simple issue made complex by dogey rules and self serving Key figures NZ & Australia.

A player like Hurrell who Culturally is 100 % Tongan with no historic tie to NZ , No spiritual link to this great nation , who professes to his heart being one hundred percent loyal to his own nation, should never play for the New Zealand or Australian Mercenaries teams.
..NZ spent $$ training, education, coaching that gave him that oppurtinity..he will get more out of it then a few coconuts:)

Reactions: Eva
Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
How often does Tonga or any of the island nations get to play internationals? At the WC every four years or in this case five years. I'd love it if there was more games but apart from the occasional one off test they don't. The reality is for guys like Kony or Uate international league is only really available for them if they change their alliance.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Haaang on. Before we hang the NZRL out to dry, he's a grown man who makes his own decisions. He's chosen to represent NZ over Tonga, and I don't believe the decision is quite as simple as we make out. I don't believe NZRL should cop shit while we ignore the fact that Hurrell is the one who has ultimately made this decision.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Haaang on. Before we hang the NZRL out to dry, he's a grown man who makes his own decisions. He's chosen to represent NZ over Tonga, and I don't believe the decision is quite as simple as we make out. I don't believe NZRL should cop shit while we ignore the fact that Hurrell is the one who has ultimately made this decision.
Exactly my feeling, he was made an offer and chose to accept it, no different than so many other players, if you read the quote from him he says "my heart is with Tonga" but it is an oppurtunity he is obviously excited to have. Good luck to him and I'm betting that all the Kiwis fans here will be more than happy to see him score points in a black jersey.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
..NZ spent $$ training, education, coaching that gave him that oppurtinity..he will get more out of it then a few coconuts:)
The guy isn't a Refugee from Afghanistan. New Zealand isn't some benevolent benefactor giving Scholarships to Konrad because he had the biggest smile in the village ...enee meanie minie mo thanks cheesus....he earned it, and has made it pay dirt for Auckland Grammars profile, and that's where the paybacks ended.

Top Bottom