General Hurrell to debut R1?

Defence_old

Regardless of who the centre is, Manu needs to stay out on the damn wing. When he does, the opposition attack falters 9 times out of 10 because he covers so much of the wing just by standing there with his arms spread out.

Rushing in is part of a ridiculous minset he has when he feels the need to 'get involved' - the sooner he learns that getting involved doesn't necessarily mean you have be where the ball is, the better I'll sleep.

I'd agree with that to an extent. He does often come in despite the centre having their man covered but sometimes, like any winger he has no choice- if his centre comes in to shutdown he has to follow.
More often than not u can trace that back to a problem round the ruck causing an over lap out wide- once the players inside u start shutting down u have to do the same.
Manu does make some bad reads but sometimes people hang the wingers out to dry without taking a look at what's happening inside them.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

I'm convinced everyone is over-thinking the Inu/Hurrell situation.

I'm picking Hurrell will be in the Round 1 squad but he will be 18th man.
Inu will start. Bluey is just playing games to keep people talking. The more talk, the more tickets will sell.

wallacenz_old

Lewis Brown will be at center...oh wait Cleary has gone :)
.. and ropo is back from injury, and hurrel has come into the team after 1 year of junior league, so mclennon has some actual centres to select. clearys only real alternative last year was metcalf.. and he wasnt too popular.

Wadetastic_old

.. and ropo is back from injury, and hurrel has come into the team after 1 year of junior league, so mclennon has some actual centres to select. clearys only real alternative last year was metcalf.. and he wasnt too popular.

I don't think the Cleary haters care too much for "Facts" Wallace, they'll probably argue he should have thrown Hurrell straight in to grade despite even Mclennan has stated he needs to be eased in and is a work in progress 12 months down the track.

Northern_Union

I don't think the Cleary haters care too much for "Facts" Wallace, they'll probably argue he should have thrown Hurrell straight in to grade despite even Mclennan has stated he needs to be eased in and is a work in progress 12 months down the track.

Yeah thats the only reason why people didn't rate Cleary.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

I think you are exagerating the situation. Hurrell hadn't even made an appearance for the Juniors 12 months ago. Why would he be rushed into first grade before even debutting at Junior level.

Of course he is a work in progress.

I was a big Cleary hater. Brown was not his only option. Mannering had been the preferred option, previously. He also had Inu available to him last year to play centre, but chose to leave him in NSW Cup for a big chunk of the season. There was also Elijah Taylor who was at least as good as Brown at centre. He could have drawn on Gelling or Penehe last year as well as Metcalfe (though I am glad they never took the Metcalfe option). In no way was Brown ever the only option available to Ivan.

Perhaps you are trying to be witty, but are coming across as more facitious, than funny saying people would say Ivan should have used Konrad last year.

wallacenz_old

I think you are exagerating the situation. Hurrell hadn't even made an appearance for the Juniors 12 months ago. Why would he be rushed into first grade before even debutting at Junior level.

Of course he is a work in progress.

I was a big Cleary hater. Brown was not his only option. Mannering had been the preferred option, previously. He also had Inu available to him last year to play centre, but chose to leave him in NSW Cup for a big chunk of the season. There was also Elijah Taylor who was at least as good as Brown at centre. He could have drawn on Gelling or Penehe last year as well as Metcalfe (though I am glad they never took the Metcalfe option). In no way was Brown ever the only option available to Ivan.

Perhaps you are trying to be witty, but are coming across as more facitious, than funny saying people would say Ivan should have used Konrad last year.
well hes not wrong, people on vff last year were calling for hurrell to get a run.

you hated metcalf, to you he wasnt an option ever. every other centre you have named was untested or makeshift.

mannering was at centre with brown last year until luck was injured and our forwards looked rudderless, mannering was moved back into the pack. berrigan was used but wasnt he dropped after our poor start to the season, inu played wing until he was dropped and most would have left him on the wing in place of tupou (on vff anyway).

Fazz_old

This is just the blind leading the blind, not everything is black and white guys. It's pointless being a hater or a defender. Everything should be judged on it's own merits, not just who is involved.

surfin_old

It's 2012 not 2011, new coach and different players, both new and old available again, so let it go. Besides didn't the Warriors make the GF with a supposed crap coach and players playing out of position.

sebastian_old

I supported Cleary but can't see any point claiming who is what. When our future is so bright, under another coach, and life as a Warrior fan has never been better. Wasting time, claiming who supported who, is mindless semantics, IMO.

wallacenz_old

you guys may not like the argument but it is a valid one because if ropo and hurrell are injured we may be in the same situation again.

edit: can anyone list our centre options? (true centres i mean).

Last edited by a moderator:

Defence_old

No doubt I'll be in the minority here but I think people are too harsh on browns performances at centre. Sure it's not his best position but he done a job for us there in his own way. Made massive meters early in the count and done a pretty good job defending against guys who were generally a fair bit quicker than him- even scored the try that put us into the g.f.
Not the classic centre but he done enough to be rewarded with a centre spot for the kiwis- he was our best player in the Anzac test too.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

well hes not wrong, people on vff last year were calling for hurrell to get a run.

you hated metcalf, to you he wasnt an option ever. every other centre you have named was untested or makeshift.

mannering was at centre with brown last year until luck was injured and our forwards looked rudderless, mannering was moved back into the pack. berrigan was used but wasnt he dropped after our poor start to the season, inu played wing until he was dropped and most would have left him on the wing in place of tupou (on vff anyway).

I never saw anyone calling for Hurrell last year, apart from to sign him and get him into first grade this year. If they were calling for him, I apologise for my error.

I did hate Metcalfe, which is why I commented that I was glad they never went down that path.

I agree, most would have left Inu on the wing. My feeling is that he would be better on the wing, but last year we needed him in the centres. I guess we will never really know what stopped Ivan from using him, but it seemed obvious that he was the right option ahead of Brown.

And my choice would have been to move Brown back to 2nd row ahead of Mannering.

Anyway, onward and upward.

My pick, Hurrell to debut in around week 3 or 4. After a couple of solid wins, Bluey should sit Tupou out, shift Inu to wing and give Hurrell his shot.

wallacenz_old

I never saw anyone calling for Hurrell last year, apart from to sign him and get him into first grade this year. If they were calling for him, I apologise for my error.

I did hate Metcalfe, which is why I commented that I was glad they never went down that path.

I agree, most would have left Inu on the wing. My feeling is that he would be better on the wing, but last year we needed him in the centres. I guess we will never really know what stopped Ivan from using him, but it seemed obvious that he was the right option ahead of Brown.

And my choice would have been to move Brown back to 2nd row ahead of Mannering.

Anyway, onward and upward.

My pick, Hurrell to debut in around week 3 or 4. After a couple of solid wins, Bluey should sit Tupou out, shift Inu to wing and give Hurrell his shot.
fair enough.

as an alternative to your idea, which I like, I wonder if they would consider inu as 17th man and limit hurrells game time or replace tupou or manu if theyre struggling under the high ball

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

fair enough.

as an alternative to your idea, which I like, I wonder if they would consider inu as 17th man and limit hurrells game time or replace tupou or manu if theyre struggling under the high ball

Its an option I could accept, but with Bluey pushing for Brown to be centre/hooker cover, I assume he is aiming toward a 4 forward bench.

I would still prefer to see Godinet on the bench rather than a centre/wing option.

Perhaps for you mentioned option they would be better with Carlos on the bench, Konrad starting and either Inu (my choice) or Tupou on the wing. It would give the centre option as well as giving backup for Jimmy and I guess Shaun as well.

Swanley_old

I'm convinced everyone is over-thinking the Inu/Hurrell situation.

I'm picking Hurrell will be in the Round 1 squad but he will be 18th man.
Inu will start. Bluey is just playing games to keep people talking. The more talk, the more tickets will sell.

I reluctantly agree with this post...