General Hugh McGahan: Dressing room cameras too close for comfort

warriors4life_old

From www.nzherald.co.nz

By Hugh McGahan

We may now be getting close to invasion of privacy with the NRL dressing room cameras.

In last Saturday night's Warriors vs Parramatta fixture, Brent Webb was ruled out of playing late and was shown in a dejected disposition on camera in a state of undress in a pair of what was thought to be shorts. He stood up to disrobe further and pulled his shorts down.

Only the quick action of the director, in cutting to Steve McIvor and Peter Ropati, saved matters. These two were fronting the show and had shocked looks on their faces - intimating that it was a close call to showing a full frontal nude shot of Brent Webb.

Thankfully there was no such viewing, but remember those who were in the broadcast van, including women, could still see the vision of the changing rooms and Webb. This is also able to be viewed after the games, where there are more bodies without clothes showering and changing to meet up with wives and girlfriends.

If those same women knew their partners were being watched on camera, I'm sure they would not be happy. The fact that people within a van are able to view footage of players in a state of undress and can gloat openly to friends, colleagues, family and anyone who wants to know what players look like without their clothes on is not right.

I am not stating that any person has done so, but it is open to abuse.

I understand that it is interesting for those at home to capture a glimpse of the atmosphere of a changing room prior to kick-off. But where do we stop?

Under this scenario, should we have a camera in the Silver Ferns' changing room before their fixtures? No, we should not. Although there would be a train of thought that most males would love to see this.

We now have a camera on the field showing a close-up of a player after he scores a try and it does give the feeling of being on the field with them. The thought of cameras being in places and players forgetting they are there, as would've been the case for Webb, is becoming part of the unhealthy society we are living in, but that shouldn't make it acceptable.

Reality television is an element of life we unfortunately live with, but please let it go no further than it already has.

How long will it take before the All Black changing room is viewed regularly on our screens?

This is an environment most people would give their right arm to be in. Many a player has sacrificed years of broken bones, concussion and blood to earn this honour. But now there is a possibility it could be sold off for about $50 a month via a subscription.

Lego_Man_old

Completely agree with everything he has said there. P*ss the cameras off out of the changing rooms. In my opinion Sky could easily be taken to court by any one of the players, if they decided to.

*Kimmy*_old

Agree with the whole article.

I want to say something else i just don't know how to word it lol :|.

warriors4life_old

Yeah, it is a bit intrusive and invasion of privacy, lucky they quickly changed shots before Brent Webb got into his birthday suit.

-Dr.J-_old

Jeez Hugh McGahan sounds like an idiot sometimes.

Even if he did have a point, which he doesn't really, he just moaned on in some old guy diatribe.

Skinny_Ravs82

I thought it was a bit sad; kind of made me depressed seeing him looking so down about it. I don't know why they are just complaing about this alone..last year's soo build up had camera in both the nsw and qld rooms and there were players wondering around nearly half naked, and one bloke was just in his underwear and none of the papers reported about that. why's this incident alone so important? Hugh has nothing better to write about.

iceman_old

...read "1984" by George Orwell. Hugh has a valid social coment to make. And if it was me or my girlfriend displayed on tv without my knowledge, I think it deserves comment...

***EDITED***

warriors4life_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
I thought it was a bit sad; kind of made me depressed seeing him looking so down about it. I don't know why they are just complaing about this alone..last year's soo build up had camera in both the nsw and qld rooms and there were players wondering around nearly half naked, and one bloke was just in his underwear and none of the papers reported about that. why's this incident alone so important? Hugh has nothing better to write about.

Because none of them actually got naked on camera, and Webb almost did but they went to another camera shot before he could. If he had been shown on camera in the nuddy then there would have been a huge uproar, especially a game on at 7.30pm which kids will be watching.

Skinny_Ravs82

warriors4life said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

Because none of them actually got naked on camera, and Webb almost did but they went to another camera shot before he could. If he had been shown on camera in the nuddy then there would have been a huge uproar, especially a game on at 7.30pm which kids will be watching.

Fair enough and maybe it showed more than it should But still; this is the 21st Cent and that 'lookg in on others' which seems to have been made really famous from Big Brother is probably another good reason why

Lego_Man_old

I'm sure you wouldnt want a camera in your changing rooms skinny_ravs. This is not big brother, these players havent signed contracts authorising personal images to be viewed or displayed to the world. And even if they didnt play them on air, i still wouldnt want all the people in the sky sports production team seeing my package.

Skinny_Ravs82

Lego_Man said:
I'm sure you wouldnt want a camera in your changing rooms skinny_ravs. This is not big brother, these players havent signed contracts authorising personal images to be viewed or displayed to the world. And even if they didnt play them on air, i still wouldnt want all the people in the sky sports production team seeing my package.

Oh no, no no! I don't even like getting changed with my curtains wide open. What I meant was, because of the way BB has evolved, people and the public especially feel they need to be on the know-in. It's a bit hard to explain; but it's sort of like...becuse famous people like sports pros and movie stars...etc because of their status it's like they 'belong' to the public ya know. Obviously not everyone thinks that way but in genereal because of how big BB has been that's how the genereal consensis view it as.

iceman_old

...If you agree to your image displayed publically that's sweet. I think it get's political because it is encrouching on intellectual propety rights. Just my theory... My baldhead professors didn't want me to go there for some reason...