General How Would You Change The Nrl Origin Period?

Makasene

Makasene

In light of the Warriors thrashing of the Broncos, the same old questions are coming out regarding star players missing games for Origin.

Post some ideas about how you would change the NRL scheduling at this time of year to ensure that

1) No team has star players stood down

2) No players have to back up 3 - 4 days later.

rugged

rugged

Stand alone weekends is the only option. The problem is it will mean origin goes from being a cash cow to being a financial liability, but that is a price they have to pay. Reduce the season to 23 rounds with only one bye per team (lots of players will get a week off round Origin time) or even have no byes and leave it up to the coaches to manage their squads, three weeks with no nrl footy should mean you could get rid of the byes altogether

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Origin brings in more cash in 3 games for the NRL then the 200 odd club games do. Whether we like it or not, NRL clubs are just going to have to suck it up and play on. I'm sure given the choice the clubs would rather the continued funding and the players their increased salaries.

Bit unfair when you have cellar dwellers like the Warriors thrashing perennial contenders like the Broncos but it gives the lesser teams a chance against the more glamorous and favourable teams like the Broncos, Roosters or Storm. Not our fault that 3 or 4 Origin players find our club undesirable and don't want to come here.

Good job on the teams that have the pull to get so many marquee players on one roster who are willing to play for less to be in a great team.

This post is more sour bikkies then anything because we have no Origin players :(

No changes to the Origin schedule can be made till 2018 anyway...

Reactions: 1 users
Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
then again if our boys keep performing like last night then some of our aussie boys could be called in next year and then we could be with out 2-3 players.

Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

How about the people that make the schedule come to the party for a start... I mean they run the byes during the origin period would it be so hard to go "looks like Melbourne, Brisbane and South Sydney are going to have 3 or 4 guys in origin their 2 byes should be on the weekend before one of the three games".

Sure its not a perfect solution but the current format is here to stay until 2018 anyway as mt.wellington rightly pointed out and it will eliminate a side having to run a reserve grade side out there (like the Broncos did on the weekend).

mrblonde

mrblonde

This will make the bean counters have fits and clutch their teddy bears:

Change the NRL draw so it's every team playing every team once.

Stand alone weekends for S of O. Tonga v Samoa 7:30PM Friday. State of Origin Under 18s 5:00PM Saturday, State of Origin 7:30 PM Saturday/3:00PM Sunday - except I can't think of a third "Main Game" to fill out the weekend - Fiji v PNG appeal to anyone? If so, I'd have that as the 7:30PM Saturday game - would it be feasible (money and support) to have a 3 match Tonga v Samoa/Fiji v PNG series?)

All these games obviously at the same stadium.

Starting my new job at the NRL or IRLF soon as...:)

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
how
Keep it like it is. It's not exactly hurting our chances...
how about playing 6 games of s.o.o best of 5 then we could have 5 rounds at least, with a chance to win more.

Reactions: 1 user
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
then again if our boys keep performing like last night then some of our aussie boys could be called in next year and then we could be with out 2-3 players.
I would like 2-3 Warriors players in Origin. Give me something to have a vested interest in and help those players become more battle hardened.

The other thing about Origin taking out players is it gives a club a chance to test their depth and gives those depth players a chance to play and prove themselves...

drake83

This will make the bean counters have fits and clutch their teddy bears:

Change the NRL draw so it's every team playing every team once.

Stand alone weekends for S of O. Tonga v Samoa 7:30PM Friday. State of Origin Under 18s 5:00PM Saturday, State of Origin 7:30 PM Saturday/3:00PM Sunday - except I can't think of a third "Main Game" to fill out the weekend - Fiji v PNG appeal to anyone? If so, I'd have that as the 7:30PM Saturday game - would it be feasible (money and support) to have a 3 match Tonga v Samoa/Fiji v PNG series?)

All these games obviously at the same stadium.

Starting my new job at the NRL or IRLF soon as...:)

Scrap SOO

Na as t extra game how about Auckland vs the Heartlands so we don't get any future Tamous or Papalis, plus the ausies are goin to make it that if you rep a u20 level for Qld or Nsw you cant then go and play for the kiwis.

Im taking your job bro who wants to see Png and Fiji, game needs to play, but id rather watch our best bash each other. Imagine the prop clash Package, Jwh, Rapira, and Mutts, against Bromich, Tapau, Fpn, Taumalolo

fanrrior

fanrrior

I would like 2-3 Warriors players in Origin. Give me something to have a vested interest in and help those players become more battle hardened.

The other thing about Origin taking out players is it gives a club a chance to test their depth and gives those depth players a chance to play and prove themselves...

It also lets them train with the best players Australia has to offer... and with Queenslanders too;)

Seriously though, Lillyman was amazing after coming back from origin and i'm sure some Auzzie players learn a thing or too while they are there. From having a different coach to just the different team dynamics, as long as a Warrior player doesn't get hurt, its all goods.

rugged

rugged

Origin brings in more cash in 3 games for the NRL then the 200 odd club games do.
Surely you don't mean that the rights for Origin are worth more then the whole nrl? Obviously these games have much more value then a one off club game, but no way are they more valuable then the whole season

Keep it as it is.
To be honest I think the current system is appalling. It ridiculous expecting players to back up and play 2 games within 3-5 days. Look at the Broncos, they have origin 2 on a Weds then the Warriors on the Sunday and then the Storm the next Friday. That is 3 games in 9 days. Sure we can all not care cos it ain't our club but I am sure if we had 4 origin players we would be up and arms about it. You want the best players being at their peak for both club and state, for that to happen we need standalone weekends

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Surely you don't mean that the rights for Origin are worth more then the whole nrl? Obviously these games have much more value then a one off club game, but no way are they more valuable then the whole season

To be honest I think the current system is appalling. It ridiculous expecting players to back up and play 2 games within 3-5 days. Look at the Broncos, they have origin 2 on a Weds then the Warriors on the Sunday and then the Storm the next Friday. That is 3 games in 9 days. Sure we can all not care cos it ain't our club but I am sure if we had 4 origin players we would be up and arms about it. You want the best players being at their peak for both club and state, for that to happen we need standalone weekends
Boohoo Origin players have to earn $60,000 in 9 days. Poor bastards!!!

Reactions: 1 users
rugged

rugged

For me the pay rate is irrelevant. I think with the physical nature of rugby league expecting the top players to play multiple games within a few days three times in the season is silly. Sure people can crap on about how they are privellegd to get paid to pay pro sport but the reality is most of the general public would not be willing to commit to that type of training and then get smashed week in and week out. If a top player misses three rounds with the games before origin and then has to be rested for another couple due to workload then you are missing your top players for nearly 20% of the season. Is that really a good thing for the NRL comp? I personally believe 26 rounds is slightly Too long anyway and a 22 week comp would make more sense

OMG

OMG

Boohoo Origin players have to earn $60,000 in 9 days. Poor bastards!!!

I'm with you brother, tell them whinging Coaches to STFU, You barely hear a whisper when we have 4 or 5 or more front liners out, yet we're under performing with a talented squad pffft, footies tough and the tough back up because they love it, if they stopped spending all the money on their SOO stars they might have more cover for when SOO happens.
edit-

rugged

rugged

again I wonder how many people would feel differently if it were the Warriors missing a lot of there team.
I'm with you brother, tell them whinging Coaches to STFU, You barely hear a whisper when we have 4 or 5 or more front liners out, yet we're under performing with a talented squad pffft, footies tough and the tough back up because they love it, if they stopped spending all the money on their SOE stars they might have more cover for when SOE happens.
Hold on are we talking about state of origin or state owned enterprises? I am def against soe workers getting an easier work schedule

OMG

OMG

again I wonder how many people would feel differently if it were the Warriors missing a lot of there team.
Hodld on are we talking about state of origin or state owned enterprises? I am def against soe workers getting an easier work schedule

LOL the typos..irks me the moaning about too much footy, not enough footy IMO,

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Move the games to Saturday nights on a stand alone weekend - the Kiwis, Samoa etc could play tests the same weekend.

drake83

[quite="Lord Gnome of Howick MBE, post: 77398, member: 44"]Move the games to Saturday nights on a stand alone weekend - the Kiwis, Samoa etc could play tests the same weekend.[/quote]

Na id rather start the heartland vs auckland games lock our players in as future kiwis before Mal asnd Laurie start sniffing. Also have a Four nation tourney between png samoa tonga and fiji during those weekends.