General How Big Is Our Forward Pack?

Miket12

Miket12

I decided to have a look at the average height and weight for all the NRL teams which played last weekend just to see how 'big' each team is since we are constantly hearing about the size of the Warriors forwards, especially during TV broadcasts from Oz. This table doesn't include starting or bench hockers as including them distorted the results to much so it's only for the props, 2nd row and locks.

The figure at the bottom is what the Warriors would have been if Packer had played instead of Lillyman and Sam Lousi instead of Taylor. Remember though, every team has players who are either injured or not playing through lack of form or injury, so these weights could change significantly if their largest players were all available.

The height and weight figures are the average of all players with the stats for them all coming from the player profiles @ nrl.com except for Matagi which was taken from Wiki - the website, not the former Warriors great.

Scary thing is the Rabbitohs will be even 'larger' this weekend when SamB returns for them.

Weights

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
^ Love it, data over conjecture. I would be tempted to take the top 10 forwards from each club and average them out, as the bulldogs would rise up the table if Kasiano, Eastwood, Klemmer were included. Though it would also flatten the averages the more players you include.

Not that playing weight is the be all and end all, Ben Matulino is down as 107kg he "looks" bigger, Jayson Bukuya, who we think will add some physicality next season is listed as 183cm and 98kg or slightly smaller than Ben Henry and Elijah Taylor.

Hitman82

Hitman82

What up! You just made my day hahaha.

So these are the forward packs including 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 3-4 bench forwards?

I'm having trouble getting my head around the Roosters, Bulldogs and Sharks.

Is there any chance you could highlight the "big dude factor" by specifying teams which have forwards over 110kg playing?

A couple of kgs here and there aren't going to make much difference when they are spread throughout a pack. But when you have one or two behemoths it makes a big difference in actual impact.[DOUBLEPOST=1377726384][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jayson Bukuya, who we think will add some physicality next season is listed as 183cm and 98kg or slightly smaller than Ben Henry and Elijah Taylor.

Yeah as you say, the reason we expect Bukuya to make impact is his hard running game of course. Similar reason to why people are rating Matagi's impact ahead of our other props, despite him being fairly small.

Big bench forwards and big locks are in fashion - that is where we are missing out. Matulino isn't small and neither is Rapira... but they aren't BIG.

Hitman82

Hitman82

I'm losing my shit over this thread.:sperm:

Hitman82 BIG DUDE FACTOR:

Panthers - 110, 112, 120
Broncos - 112
Rabbitohs - 112, 120, 120
Bulldogs - 112, 118
Cowboys - 113
Knights - 111, 111
Raiders - 110, 110, 113, 114, 114
Sea Eagles - 116
Dragons - 110, 111
Tigers - 111, 112
Titans - 110, 121, 122
Storm - 111, 112, 116
Eels - 111, 115
Sharks - 114

Roosters - NIL but JWH is listed as 115kg on some pages

Warriors - NIL, motherfucker, NIL!

And when you look at some of the above teams, there are Big Dudes missing. IE, the 4th Burger at Souths, Kasiano at Bulldogs, Hala at Broncos.

We are only missing the Package, as far as first graders go. Sam Lousi is a Big Dude, but he hasn't played enough games to be considered part of our first-pick team yet.

Last edited:
edd

edd

Big bench forwards and big locks are in fashion - that is where we are missing out. Matulino isn't small and neither is Rapira... but they aren't BIG.
I think we have a very mobile pack, who can make big meters through sharp plays, running into small depressions in the opposition D line... If we run straight at their big men we are toast, but if we run beside them and force them back into their half their extra size is nullified. And if our D line can get to them before they get up steam they are easy targets to hit... It's the size of the fight in the dog...

The rumble in the jungle is the classic example of speed over size... Ali waited for Foreman to punch himself out and then destroyed him....

If we sap their energy they become dead weight... If we don't, then we are toast..

Hitman82

Hitman82

I think we have a very mobile pack, who can make big meters through sharp plays, running into small depressions in the opposition D line... If we run straight at their big men we are toast, but if we run beside them and force them back into their half their extra size is nullified. And if our D line can get to them before they get up steam they are easy targets to hit... It's the size of the fight in the dog...

The rumble in the jungle is the classic example of speed over size... Ali waited for Foreman to punch himself out and then destroyed him....

If we sap their energy they become dead weight... If we don't, then we are toast..

Ahhh yes, perhaps so!

But... what about when other teams throw their massive fucking Jabba the Hutt bastards at our midget hooker and lock over and over and over again?

We need to strain the shit out of our pack's energy to make good metres... teams with Big Dudes can do this with ease, creating an Energy Imbalance in the Matrix.

It's like a bunch of Civics trying to contain a bunch of Corollas with a few Kingswoods thrown in the mix.

eX | Machina

eX | Machina

The other night when Curtis Sironen scored a try and Fox displayed his stats after the try was awarded to him his weight was shown on-screen as 102kg. In the breakdown listed above it says he is 98kg? Where are these stats from?

Hitman82

Hitman82

The other night when Curtis Sironen scored a try and Fox displayed his stats after the try was awarded to him his weight was shown on-screen as 102kg. In the breakdown listed above it says he is 98kg? Where are these stats from?

As my good pal Manu Vatuvei (poster) on the other forums will tell you:
NRL player heights and weights are dubious at best. There are massive irregularities between websites and reality.

All you can really do is assume they are correct for the sake of argument.[DOUBLEPOST=1377728608][/DOUBLEPOST]For example, Moi Moi is no way under 110kg haha. He's a friggin unit.
Here's another link on this subject:
https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/heaviest-lightest/see-all-weight/

Reactions: eX | Machina
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

As my good pal Manu Vatuvei (poster) on the other forums will tell you:
NRL player heights and weights are dubious at best. There are massive irregularities between websites and reality.

All you can really do is assume they are correct for the sake of argument.[DOUBLEPOST=1377728608][/DOUBLEPOST]For example, Moi Moi is no way under 110kg haha. He's a friggin unit.
Here's another link on this subject:
https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/heaviest-lightest/see-all-weight/

Haha yeah I know right...see check it out here https://www.foxsports.com.au/league/player?id=111949&name=curtis-sironen&team=55014

Reactions: Hitman82
edd

edd

Ahhh yes, perhaps so!

But... what about when other teams throw their massive fucking Jabba the Hutt bastards at our midget hooker and lock over and over and over again?

We need to strain the shit out of our pack's energy to make good metres... teams with Big Dudes can do this with ease, creating an Energy Imbalance in the Matrix.

It's like a bunch of Civics trying to contain a bunch of Corollas with a few Kingswoods thrown in the mix.
Our pack is as big as the storms, and is bigger than the roosters and manly. We have speed, others have bulk... It's no excuse for losing... It just means we can't be losing the possession stats against the Raiders, that all...

Hitman82

Hitman82

Another weird one is Charlie Gubb. I've found him listed anywhere from 107kg - 113kg!

But yeah bear in mind these pro athletes can have their body weight easily going up or down 10kgs or so between seasons, and even during a season.

The amount of fat they are carrying, how dehydrated they are, whether they've taken a dump that morning (bear in mind they eat INSANE amounts), whether they're focusing on strength or mobility, etc... all these things can cause massive variations.

The one thing I know, regardless of any stats is we have very few Big Dudes whereas Every other team in the NRL has at least a couple.[DOUBLEPOST=1377729220][/DOUBLEPOST]
Our pack is as big as the storms, and is bigger than the roosters and manly. We have speed, others have bulk... It's no excuse for losing... It just means we can't be losing the possession stats against the Raiders, that all...

Averages are worth considering, but don't mean much when it's a 115kg man running at a 102kg man over and over again.

It is certainly NOT an excuse for losing. But it IS an area where we could recruit and re-position in order to improve.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
still got to play with the right attitude. Titans have James and Taylor as big boppers but both rarely use ther size properly to gain an advantage.

edd

edd

Averages are worth considering, but don't mean much when it's a 115kg man running at a 102kg man over and over again.

It is certainly NOT an excuse for losing. But it IS an area where we could recruit and re-position in order to improve.
Well that's where Matulinos shoulder needs to become a factor... (arms draped loosely round the body of course) Ha Ha...

And I'm sure Matagi can turn himself into a guided missile if need be as well.... 105 Kg's of him under the rib cage is gonna slow anyone down....

Apus

Apus

The only people in the NRL I could believe are truly 120+ are Dave Taylor and Sam Kasiano, and even then...

I honestly don't know how they get these numbers but they seem to be guesses from some nerd with steamed up glasses looking at pics of these guys.

Hitman82

Hitman82

Well that's where Matulinos shoulder needs to become a factor... (arms draped loosely round the body of course) Ha Ha...

And I'm sure Matagi can turn himself into a guided missile if need be as well.... 105 Kg's of him under the rib cage is gonna slow anyone down....

Well on Matagi, he is actually very lean for a first grader. Carries a lot of muscle but is definitely not bulky by their standards. I have two visions for him:

1 - become a second rower, ideally an impact 13 off the bench. Retain more or less current build and athleticism.
2 - remain an impact prop. Bulk the fuck up with at least 5kg of LBM added to the frame. Impact becomes far more roofless, not much mobility sacrificed.

Hitman82

Hitman82

The only people in the NRL I could believe are truly 120+ are Dave Taylor and Sam Kasiano, and even then...

I honestly don't know how they get these numbers but they seem to be guesses from some nerd with steamed up glasses looking at pics of these guys.

You obviously aren't considering the enormous amounts of muscle these guys carry, or the fact nearly every NRL forward is 6 foot plus and Chunky as Hell at that height. if anything, I believe a lot of the weights are understated.

You can't really compare eye-scale evaluation of pro league players to standard humans, as muscle has much greater density than fat, so a guy who is extremely muscular will weigh far more at his size than a lard-ass will.

Your average loser on the street has far more of the stuff on the left:
Awwwprecisionnutritioncom wordpress wp content uploads 2014 03 fat vs muscle

Reactions: edd and Gee
edd

edd

The titans pack listed above includes their hooker Beau Falloon, who weighs in at 86kgs, when our pack doesn't include Friend...

So if we swap out Falloon with some forward weighing 16 kgs more that brings their average up to 107.6kgs, and we still ran more meters than them and seemed to be able to pin them in their own half after a good chase on a Johnson bomb...

Getting their first is very useful on the footy field...

Reactions: Hitman82
Miket12

Miket12

The titans pack listed above includes their hooker Beau Falloon, who weighs in at 86kgs, when our pack doesn't include Friend...

So if we swap out Falloon with some forward weighing 16 kgs more that brings their average up to 107.6kgs, and we still ran more meters than them and seemed to be able to pin them in their own half after a good chase on a Johnson bomb...

Well spotted - sorry, I thought I'd taken out all of the hookers. my bad

Edit: sorry, the reason I'd left Falloon in there was because the Titans went with only 2 'forwards' plus Steve Michaels (normally a winger/centre) and Srama (a hooker) on their bench. Although Michaels is taller than Falloon, he actually weighs less than Falloon.

Last edited:
Reactions: edd
Hitman82

Hitman82

Titans metres: 1284
Warriors metres: 1483

Titans had three forwards run over 140m each.

Warriors had one forward run over 100m...

We won the metres in our power backs:

Hurrell: 197m, Ropati: 162m

Titans highest running back was 106m for Gordon. All their other outside backs ran for under 40m.

Our forwards still got bullied. The Titans Big Dudes still rumbled the fuck through us.