General Blueys Round Review 2024

We had beaten Souths the week prior, and then started the Manly game poorly but were fighting hard to get ourselves back into it.

I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack down the stretch there against Manly, that's when I know I believe in the team because we are playing a brand of footy that can pull it out of the fire.

Fast forward to the Newcastle game and nothing had visibly changed from the Dragons game till now. Even though we were only down by six I honestly didn't feel anything down the stretch there, just sitting there waiting for the game to finish.

We were just repeating the same plays over and over adnauseum which have been worked out. Hard to get excited when you are basically banging your head against a brick wall.

So obviously we have been hit hard with injuries and our recruitment looks to have been slightly off the mark.

Has there been any other areas that have changed from last season?

Our fitness coach or trainer?

How our assistant coaches are set up? Seems to be a very simplified approach to our attack and our defence has lost its resilience.

Have we lost our recently gained identity? I mean the club seemed pretty quick to move to a gimmicky ground announcer and a tacky welcome to the jungle entrance song. Not fundamentally something that affects onfield performance but certainly gives me a sense that changes were being made for perhaps the wrong reason instead of embracing what we had been doing that was working.

Last season EVERYTHING was clicking. This season EVERYTHING just seems to be a little off.

So obviously we have been hit hard with injuries and our recruitment looks to have been slightly off the mark.

Has there been any other areas that have changed from last season?

Our fitness coach or trainer?

How our assistant coaches are set up? Seems to be a very simplified approach to our attack and our defence has lost its resilience.

Have we lost our recently gained identity? I mean the club seemed pretty quick to move to a gimmicky ground announcer and a tacky welcome to the jungle entrance song. Not fundamentally something that affects onfield performance but certainly gives me a sense that changes were being made for perhaps the wrong reason instead of embracing what we had been doing that was working.

Last season EVERYTHING was clicking. This season EVERYTHING just seems to be a little off.
Marata, Metcalf and Curran huge losses this yr, Sirro too maybe, turns out he could have been the glue that held it all together. Tohu, Walker and Jazz are old and crippled, SJ too now. Rookies not ready to step up. Bit of a confluence of shit planning and bad luck with injuries it seems. Won't always be like this when our junior systems start bearing fruit, just have to hang in there and have patience.

Marata, Metcalf and Curran huge losses this yr, Sirro too maybe, turns out he could have been the glue that held it all together. Tohu, Walker and Jazz are old and crippled, SJ too now. Rookies not ready to step up. Bit of a confluence of shit planning qnd bad luck with injuries it seems. Won't always be like this I our junior systems start bearing fruit, just have to hang in there and have patience.
Yes to all of this. The question I was trying to ask is were there any other things outside of the injuries/recruitment? I mean is our attack stalling purely down to having Capewell playing second row instead of Marata or Curran for example?

I mean is our attack stalling purely down to having Capewell playing second row instead of Marata or Curran for example?
I buy into that SJs injuries have created micro defensive issues, i.e. SJ being a slight step back on defense causes Berry to check slightly more on defense and causes issues out wide for DWZ.
May have also created micro issues in attack with him being slightly off. I think they talked about this on the TWL podcast.

Yes to all of this. The question I was trying to ask is were there any other things outside of the injuries/recruitment?
Physically our players don’t seem to be competitive and look like they are playing slower than the other top teams and than last year. You look at the good teams and their defence AND attack are BOTH next level. Having players that are fit, fast and dynamic flows into all areas of play. This year our players don’t look fit, fast or dynamic… the players conditioning is off.

We look more fatigued with a similar squad to last year. Another year older? Not recovering as fast after games? Our preseason conditioning was off? Conditioned for lighter and faster at the expense of power and fatiguing?

Who knows why but to me the players as a group aren’t physically able to deliver the game plan Webby wants.

Physically our players don’t seem to be competitive and look like they are playing slower than the other top teams and than last year. You look at the good teams and their defence AND attack are BOTH next level. Having players that are fit, fast and dynamic flows into all areas of play. This year our players don’t look fit, fast or dynamic… the players conditioning is off.

We look more fatigued with a similar squad to last year. Another year older? Not recovering as fast after games? Our preseason conditioning was off? Conditioned for lighter and faster at the expense of power and fatiguing?

Who knows why but to me the players as a group aren’t physically able to deliver the game plan Webby wants.
I didn't agree with your earlier assessment that we are too old but it's looking the case now, can only probably carry an older half and maybe one other in todays game.

To much weights, not enough speed work?

If we are unfit why do we do so well at the backend of the game? It's like we just do not have any enthusiasm. Rewatch the game and compare how well we are playing in the last 10 to the first 10. We do need more youth though and less minutes from some of our older players.

To much weights, not enough speed work?
I don’t know but we got it right last year and it’s not this year.

Webster would know how the conditioning needs to be to play his game plan.

With the same players; same coach; same conditioning team but they’re physically not able to compete with other teams - somethings gone wrong.

And if it is age/ conditioning, it won’t be fixed mid season.

So we’ve won the possession stat in 8 of our 10 games where possession at seasons end basically mirrors the NRL table and is probably the most accurate predictor over a season of success,

By that metric, the team is playing well and Websters doing his job and we should have won more games.

We’re 9th of the ladder for points conceded and 9th for points scores - we should be 9th on the ladder with 2 more wins but we’re 14th. Our attack and defence isn't terrible.

Were actually not statistically doing to bad but just can’t win games when it matters.

Back