General Blueys Round Review 2024

I think we have a top 8 team we just are struggling with injuries. I suspect due to the large amount of players unavailable we have many players carrying injuries that normally they would miss a game for. Defensively we have not be great and I know that defense is mainly attitude but I bet it is had to have the right attitude when playing busted.

I do think we need some more variation though. If you watched the Titans game the Titans always had 4 players set on their left side on the 5th. Two were blockers and the other two in catching positions. They looked well drilled. I get the premise around what we are trying to achieve with this tactic. The issue is we just cannot atm back this up with great defense. A plan B is required until we get more players back.
Des Hasler teams have had us sussed. I don’t think they’re beating the storm this week, but he’s a smart coach and they’ve improved markedly in the last three weeks.

I think we’re 6-12th team. SJ needs a partner in crime. He is better when it’s not all on his shoulders, which he’ll do because he wants to win so badly. Not sure why the right side attack isn’t as sharp. But I feel we’re sharp when fresh but not quite fit/smart enough to keep it up for 80 mins.

It’s a long season. Was at warriors for first time in AKL and while disappointed with the result. Nothing should be a given with this team or the NRL, toughest and most even comp in the world arguably. It’s a good reminder that nothing is on a plate. Supporting the warriors is a roller coaster. Let’s just hope they can build from here. Nice to see walker back - he offered a lot in the middle minutes and would be tempted by him at six for an attacking option.

Season so far 5/10.

Any of our statsmen care to shed a bit of light on this. I'm convinced that the majority of teams are playing out of their skin against us, with very little errors and high completion rates.

I would love to see the difference stats wise between teams when they've played us this year vs their average against all teams but I'm pretty cabbage at that kind of thing...any one got a spreadsheet or something going?

@Wrighty this sounds like it might be in your wheel house?
I very much believe that as well. Webby knew before this season kicked off all teams will lift against us. We are still learning to handle that

I very much believe that as well. Webby knew before this season kicked off all teams will lift against us. We are still learning to handle that
I agree that teams seem to be making less errors against us, it's certainly my perception. I would add a proviso to this though. I don't believe it is teams lifting against us, though there may be an element of this. I think we aren't asking enough questions of the opposition under pressure and fatigue. Opposition haven't been tested as much as they should have. Short ball, short ball, setting up for the shift out the back that never seems to come, for example. Even as simple as the bomb to the same corner over and over is just letting teams off the hook by allowing them to repeat what they are doing over and over. Kick to the opposite side more, contest more, grubber, what ever. We aren't mixing anything up. Just keep asking what's 1+1 and the opposition keep coming up with 2

I am deeply concerned that we seem to not only have a philosophy of don't change a winning team, but we also have a philosophy of don't change a losing team.

My feelings are basically that I am watching Webster to see what he will do to lead us out of this. I really think he is the best coach they Warriors have had in my time of being a fan, even better than Payton, so I expect him to come up with a reaction or self reflection.
Webby appears loyal to the pick and stick approach which is good and bad when used and misused.

Webby so far has a great plan but lack of execution and consistency in achieving it.

Get them to be organised and aggressive. Confident that their plan is worth sticking to.

To be honest I think the most disappointing part of the season so far is actually just the lack of defence. Altho the attack can be boring I don’t think it’s our problem, keeping them in the corners with Berry and then the attack in the middle has been good. I might not have been paying attention but from what I’ve seen the contested kicks are reserved for when we are in the 20. The season is saveable top four will be a miracle but if we cut out the penalties and do our game plan I don’t see why.

We really look like we are winning the defence battle following our kicks until we piggy back them up to our end then just need some resolve instead of giving up like they have been.

Our game plan is built off the back of fitness and grinding down the opposition.

This is directly impacted when we lack forward domination (key injuries) to fatigue the opposition and short turn arounds to rest and recover.

Some things were missing to play a grinding, fatigue the opposition game plan:

1 - explosive and powerful second rowers (were missing Niukore there and Curren from last year.) Not sold on Ford and Capewell being able to ‘drain’ the opposition despite them getting lots of meters.
2 - forward domination. To many injuries stops our big men sapping their energy
3 - AFB has moved from a hard running weapon to a power based work horse under Webster. I feel our overall game would benefit from him playing less minutes with more venom.
4 - halves. Our first choice 6 out plus SJ not training stops us building pressure.
5 - Laban and Maiu’u fit our strategy very well in that they will tire the opposition.
6 - flip side of the above is low errors are crucial to a grinding style so Webster naturally is weary of inexperience.

Our inability to fatigue the opposition has led to the oppositions low errors and high completions that has plagued us all season. Being a handful in attack that drains the opposition is tied to excellent defence as we are fresher than them.

I think a lot of our injuries directly affect our game plan but once we get some troops back, our form could turn quickly. I definitely back is for top 8 still.

I am a 50 year old life long rugby guy from Christchurch. Brought up around rugby and have slowly been getting more and more disillusioned with rugby, complicated and a lot of stop start hard to watch sport.

The Warriors have been the best NZ team sport story in a long time. The players and their attitude are so enjoyable, the passion of the fans is something that NZ rugby cannot match. I cannot wait to get to a game live.

Inspirational individuals that love playing for each other and the jersey. The wont always win and the odd down few weeks is fine. I want them winning at the end of the year.

I love the fighting spirit and the pride, even in losing the talk about the excitement of the challenge ahead of them. The team have been struggling with injury and I truly believe all will be just fine.

No team deserves success like the Warriors, what they went through was a huge sacrifice that few other sport or work environments would ever be asked to do. The character is second to none.

Up the Wahs … thank you for making a convert in me and thank you fro remind me the value in collective drive and passion.

I really appreciate all the korero so far, very in depth and comprehensive insights, Chur family - too much! 2023 really my best Warriors year so far, it lifted me up so much to see a new coach come in and and make such a huge difference to the team, was on cloud 9, in league heaven etc, etc. loved the game plan, loved the attack especially the goal line defense, loved every single second! this was carried over to 2024. was getting concerned for the last couple of games which everyone has spoken about, so with everyone's insight has lifted my spirit and heart, so no worries family we may not make the top 8 this year, but I believe!! I have so much great footy to look forward for the rest of the year! hard since 95, fan forever KIA KAHA!!!

I really appreciate all the korero so far, very in depth and comprehensive insights, Chur family - too much! 2023 really my best Warriors year so far, it lifted me up so much to see a new coach come in and and make such a huge difference to the team, was on cloud 9, in league heaven etc, etc. loved the game plan, loved the attack especially the goal line defense, loved every single second! this was carried over to 2024. was getting concerned for the last couple of games which everyone has spoken about, so with everyone's insight has lifted my spirit and heart, so no worries family we may not make the top 8 this year, but I believe!! I have so much great footy to look forward for the rest of the year! hard since 95, fan forever KIA KAHA!!!
Chur there is a lot to enjoy and be encouraged about and one of those is that our "window" has great range now that development is showing great dividends in different grades, signings have been good (JFH and Cleary 2.0). To salvage this season is simply a matter of headspace. Ours is whacked at present. Need to settle reset and apply it.

How far up the coast are you cuz? I have some Porourangi, Hauiti and Mahaki blood.

Chur there is a lot to enjoy and be encouraged about and one of those is that our "window" has great range now that development is showing great dividends in different grades, signings have been good (JFH and Cleary 2.0). To salvage this season is simply a matter of headspace. Ours is whacked at present. Need to settle reset and apply it.

How far up the coast are you cuz? I have some Porourangi, Hauiti and Mahaki blood.
Agree, take a deep breath, settle and reset, Whangaparaoa, Cape Runaway, Waihau Bay, ko toku koroua ko Hunia Waenga no Te Whanau - a -Apanui.

Warriors teams that made the finals in the late 2000s typically did so off a dominating second half of the season.

2011 - won 7 of final 9
2010 - won 11 of final 16
2008 - won 8 of final 10
2007 - won 9.5 of final 12 (0.5 was a draw)

We will need something like this in 2024

1. Do you put our losses down to injuries?
No, I put it down to Webbys reluctance to cover the injury. His current ethos is the opposite of "next man up"
2. Are you starting to doubt our gameplan?
Started to a month a go.
3. How confident are you we will still make the 8?
Zero
4. How has your opinion changed from end of 2023 till now?
Sinking feeling Webby is one of those intelligent guys, who will never adjust to a new way of thinking.

No, I put it down to Webbys reluctance to cover the injury. His current ethos is the opposite of "next man up"

Started to a month a go.

Zero

Sinking feeling Webby is one of those intelligent guys, who will never adjust to a new way of thinking.
Just on your last point, Webby very much still has the dressing room. As long as the players believe in the coach you are never far away in my eyes.

Back