General Hooker

RRG_old

Does anyone know if their are any reasonable hookers coming off contract?

I see that Danny Buderus is coming off contract for leeds, it sounds like he is going to stay in England. He would be 33 by next nrl season which put him a bit on the old side, but if we can't get anyone else I would make a play for a two year contract. Buderus as a starting hooker and hohaia off the bench would be a good combo. Even if he is slow now would be good to have an organising hooker. Also with so much experience I am sure he would be good to work with mara.

It sounds like we are going to gain at least one more prop and in that case I would consider hooker to be our biggest area of concern

Fazz_old

We've got 3 very good prospects in the hooker position, Lewis Brown can also play there (which I would like to see, since we have about 10,000 2nd rowers next year) So I don't know if we really need a hooker...Unless someone really good is off contract (Nobody mention Cam Smith, hate that wanker)

Spence_old

How about Rangi Chase. I haven't seen it personally, but apparently he is playing very well in that position.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Who are our 3 prospects at hooker other than Mara who is yet to have a first grade game?

insulinboi_old

Next year Mara, Hohaia and Seluini should be fighting it out for the hooker and bench hooker position.

Spence_old

Do you think Ivan considers Hohaia a fullback now, or do you think that he still doesn't think that Locke is ready?

insulinboi_old

Who knows what Ivan thinks.
Surely Locke at 1, Hohaia at 9 and seluini on the bench would be a much better option than hendo and heremaia.

RRG_old

Hooker is such a key position in the modern game. Combine that with the fact that one of our major problems is the structuring of our sets. I am not really happy to say we have the position covered cause we have two players with no first grade experience and another one who is playing fullback. We need someone with experience to organise our sets and then we can introduce the likes of Mara off the bench

warriors4life_old

I'd like to see Brown there, natural position, too many second-rowers etc. etc. I've said it all somewhere before.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Not sold on Seluini. I think he's a very good player, and is electric when running the ball from dummy half, but his service isn't great. He needs some serious off season work in that department to even be considered for first grade.

Still, I'd take him over Henderson and Heremaia.

Cheops_old

That Souths hooker looked pretty good today in a very crappy team. No idea about him really, just thinking he may not be too keen to stay at Souths where he will only ever be injury replacement for Luke???

Gundog_old

When you put it in perspective though we have been going great guns with a weak spine this year. Its funny but I feel that we have been going quite good in the forwards since Rapiras been injured.
Packer, Latimore, Matulino and Royal seem to work as a team more. I can live with above average halves and fullback if we have a dominant hooker like Cameron Smith, even if he is a wanker.