General Hohaia Signs

Magic Stick_old

Lance Hohaia is indispensable to the Warriors these days and they moved to sign him up until the end of 2011, with an option for 2012.

At times during his NRL career, the 26-year-old hasn't known whether he was coming or going, such was his lot with the Warriors.

He's played all manner of positions, including left-right-out, but he is now one of the most integral players at the club.

His versatility – he's played halfback, five-eight, hooker, centre, wing and fullback since making his debut as a 19-year-old in 2002 – means he is one of the first names placed on the team sheet each week.

And the increased pace of the game in 2009 due to the two referees and less reliance on the video referee is tailor-made for his elusiveness and acceleration as opposition forwards tire.

"Lance had made huge strides for us and for the Kiwis," Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said.

"He's a vital part of the mix and brings so much to the side. He has really turned the interchange role into his special strength for us."

Hohaia's re-signing follows that of fellow World Cup-winning Kiwis Simon Mannering and Jerome Ropati, who have both re-signed until the end of 2012.

That means Hohaia joins Ropati with the chance of becoming a rate 10-year veteran of the Warriors - only Stacey Jones and Awen Guttenbeil have achieved the feat.

"I'm excited about having my future sorted out and knowing I now have the chance to be a Warrior for 10 seasons," Hohaia said.

"I've grown up at the club. It's been my home since moving up from Huntly and I can't see myself being anywhere else.

"I've seen some tough times along the way but the last year or so has been the best of my career, being part of two finals campaigns and then winning the World Cup with the Kiwis."

Hohaia will miss today's visit to Newcastle with a knee injury but it is hoped he will return next weekend to face the Roosters.

The Warriors will now turn their attentions to hooker Ian Henderson.

He is off contract at the end of the season, along with Steve Price, Jones, Nathan Fien, Evarn Tuimavave, Liam Foran, Aidan Kirk, Patrick Ah Van and Malo Solomana.

kiwi-born_old

I once thought Hohaia to be a "one dimensional" player. But since 2007 he has really stepped up and he is a magnificent and beneficial player to our team. I'm glad we have re-signed him!!:D
I feel a bit sorry for Fieny though. But his attitude isnt that flash he should be trying hard to claim the halves spot. I hope we re-sihn Hendo coz he's brilliant also.

Jesbass_old

I disagree that he wasn't anything before 2007. In 2002 he shone brightly, quite possibly because he was outside Stacey Jones, and he won the joint Rookie of the Year award, along with Brent Webb. In 2003, he scored 4 tries in the first 2 matches and was going great guns, but got injured in Round 3 (I believe). In 2004, we were all hopeless. In 2005 he shone brightly again, this time as a hooker or bench hooker, and he carried that form into the Tri-Nations series. And I can't remember 2006, but yeah...I've seen numerous comments about him of late, saying he only started making an impact since 2007, and I don't think they're accurate.

bigstuboy_old

this is awsome news . i hate how people say his form was bad in the past but if everyone looked back properly he always performed well it was just a shame we never used him properly in the past but that looks to have changed.

☆ИITЯO ßOY✯_old

this is awsome news . i hate how people say his form was bad in the past but if everyone looked back properly he always performed well it was just a shame we never used him properly in the past but that looks to have changed.
But then again, we're still not using him properly, if we were he'd have a solid starting position :)

Esoj_old

this is good news. hohaia has been in good form in recent times so it is great we have kept him.

Fazz_old

GREAT SIGNING!

Lance has been awesome for us lately, and in the past when he was called to slot in. So relieved we signed him. Hopefully it was a large sum, he deserves it for his loyalty to the club (He knocked back the Catalans club even though he wasnt getting any game time here a few years back didn't he?)

Spence_old

Except for Injury/Suspension, McKinnon will be the fullback untill his contract runs out. By that time, Locke would have hopefully gotten big/good enough to play first grade. Lance is a too good of a player to have sitting on the bench for the next 3 or so years. Should we try give him a shot at a position other than 1/14?

Fazz_old

I don't see one tbh. Maaaaybe hooker and have Hendo on the bench?
I like Hendo to start and Lance on once the opposition are tired out a bit better though.

David Bragg_old

You can't start Lance and expect him to follow a plan or script of how that position should be played.
I'm not saying don't start him but he is too randomly and unpredictably good to ask him to play how any particular position should be played per the text book.
You just let him loose.
The only instructions you give him is "there are no instructions".

garyhobson_old

Good news. This guy has earnt it. Has been playing really good in the last few seasons. A few other guys we should be targetting - Chase Stanley, Tim Smith, Michael Monoghan, Dave Taylor.

Jesbass_old

Good news. This guy has earnt it. Has been playing really good in the last few seasons. A few other guys we should be targetting - Chase Stanley, Tim Smith, Michael Monoghan, Dave Taylor.

I've been saying that for years. The sooner Scurrah rings me up and throws a 6 figure salary at me to be a water boy, the better!

garyhobson_old

I've been saying that for years. The sooner Scurrah rings me up and throws a 6 figure salary at me to be a water boy, the better!

Can you play front row instead? Or Second Row. Your front row ability has caught my eye rather than your ability to serve water :p