Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pragmatism vs ideology? Top of our street has had millions invested in cycle lanes, complete reconfiguration of parking, footpaths and roads to accomodate them, plus it severely impacted business owners during the construction phase. It is very rare to see a cyclist on those multi-million dollar cycle paths.
That's because cycle lanes are very efficient, unlike roads. And have you been to Auckland lately, car driving in the city is in decline and everyone is whizzing about on bikes, scooters and on foot?

That's because cycle lanes are very efficient, unlike roads. And have you been to Auckland lately, car driving in the city is in decline and everyone is whizzing about on bikes, scooters and on foot?
I walk into Auckland CBD every week day. I don’t see many cyclists and hardly anyone uses scooters these days. There’s a few walking. Buses also don’t seem to be as full as pre-Covid. Perhaps that just my area however I doubt it.

Are there any stats to support this?

Last I heard biking was supposed to be 17% of transport journeys now with the investment given but it’s still under 1% with no noticeable change. Many have said about our hilly, wet climate and geographic spread, we aren’t ever going to be Amsterdam.
Personally I think we’ve over extended trying to build a cycle, bus and train network at the same time and aren’t necessarily doing a good job trying to force solutions that aren’t delivering outcomes while at the same time underinvesting in roading.

Too much quantity too fast and not enough quality. As with the ferry’s we need someone a-political to come up with an overall strategy based on NZ tying in all transport modes. It should be based on density and city size - ie Tauranga is pushing a bus policy without the density and it’s just doomed to fail, whereas Auckland should be prioritising buses.

Last I heard biking was supposed to be 17% of transport journeys now with the investment given but it’s still under 1% with no noticeable change. Many have said about our hilly, wet climate and geographic spread, we aren’t ever going to be Amsterdam.
Personally I think we’ve over extended trying to build a cycle, bus and train network at the same time and aren’t necessarily doing a good job trying to force solutions that aren’t delivering outcomes while at the same time underinvesting in roading.

Too much quantity too fast and not enough quality. As with the ferry’s we need someone a-political to come up with an overall strategy based on NZ tying in all transport modes. It should be based on density and city size - ie Tauranga is pushing a bus policy without the density and it’s just doomed to fail, whereas Auckland should be prioritising buses.
Yes there is data to support this.

Do a masters degree in transport engineering like I did and then we can talk.

Mini budget out today. Usual political stuff and blame game, but what sticks out:

Treasury says the country is expected to enter a real GDP per capita recession, with GPD per head of population going backwards for two consecutive years.

This is not political, this is the real world affecting us all. This is the real economy faltering resulting in our standard of living going backwards. Tough times ahead…

Wiz
I would have thought the Kiwi rail engineers and finance guru s would have been a political

How do you get there each day?
Lol, you are the meme.

1703037583553.png

Back