General Henry Paul finally to play in the NRL?

Ronnie_7_old

Guest
From www.stuff.co.nz

Dual international Henry Paul is set for a shock return to league - and the NRL.


Sunday News can confirm Paul, 32,who played 24 tests for the Kiwis and six rugby tests for England, is on the verge of signing with the Penrith Panthers.

Penrith general manager Michael Leary said he hoped to be able to confirm Paul's signing by the end of May.

"We've made approaches. I'm just waiting to see where we are in negotiations," Leary told Sunday News.

"We're showing interest in him. We want to sign him. Henry is a very accomplished goalkicker and I am sure he would be good for us.

"We have a very high opinion of him.

"I've got no problems with him adapting back into league, none whatsoever. He will be handy for us."

Paul's expected signing follows a horror season for his English rugby club Gloucester.

He has been on the outer after missing training after a boozy night out. He has played just six games this season, the last in October 2005

HenryPaul.jpg

.................................................................

Read it in the Sunday News this morning. Would be good if he came back then perhaps a return to the Kiwis?Never thought that he should have been playing Rugby anyway.
 

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

Guest
Thats great to see him come back to league and NRL, he'll be a good signing for the Panthers.
since he's 32, the Panthers probably get only two or three seasons out of him.
 

-Dr.J-_old

Guest
Jesus

They're obviously pretty desperate, they shoulda prepared better for life without Presto.
 

Northern_Union

Guest
I reckon it's a smart move. Aint to many world class 5/8's around these days. And after playing kick and clap he'll he drooling at the thought of playing running football again.
 

Ronnie_7_old

Guest
Yeah and I don't think they're gonna find someone with as much experience as him either. Plus playing force back for a couple years should have improved his kickig game.
 

edguy_old

Guest
lol at him ever playing for the kiwis again ....

bluey picks guys on form and loyalty ....im afaid henry paul; has no loyalty to new zealand ...his only loyalty was to the all mighty british pound...

he would will go ok in the nrl .... ... maybe if hes lives in oz a year or 2 he can play for the kangaroos .........

theres a word for blokes like him and it starts with T.........
ask karmichael hunt , brad thorn , tonie carrol ,willie mason .....et el
 

-Dr.J-_old

Guest
Nothing wrong with going to the ESL, doesn't mean you ain't a proud kiwi. Sure, he may be whoring himself out to Rugby, but it don't make him any less proud of his country ;)


Just being fair
 

Ronnie_7_old

Guest
edguy said:
lol at him ever playing for the kiwis again ....

bluey picks guys on form and loyalty ....im afaid henry paul; has no loyalty to new zealand ...his only loyalty was to the all mighty british pound...

he would will go ok in the nrl .... ... maybe if hes lives in oz a year or 2 he can play for the kangaroos .........

theres a word for blokes like him and it starts with T.........
ask karmichael hunt , brad thorn , tonie carrol ,willie mason .....et el

Now cmon I hate traitors but let's face it when you have represented your country in both league and softball no way in hell are you a traitor. Plus I think Henry is a chance at the Kiwis again if his form is up to scratch.
 

JonB_old

Guest
-Dr.J- said:
Nothing wrong with going to the ESL, doesn't mean you ain't a proud kiwi. Sure, he may be whoring himself out to Rugby, but it don't make him any less proud of his country ;)


Just being fair

What if he was just curious to play the other code. You ever thought about working for the oppositon to se what it is like? Calling him a whore is pretty cheap, also he is not going to be a proffesional athlete forever why not make as much as you can while you can?
 

edguy_old

Guest
blah ....... he played for the poms ..he sings god save the queen ,,hes a pom ...hes no longer a kiwi in my eyes..

he played in the sevens for the poms in new zealand , and every time he touched the ball he got booed .......

end of story ....
 

JonB_old

Guest
So Brent Webb shouldn't play for New Zealand then? or do we have double standards?
 

edguy_old

Guest
thats brent webbs choice . over here theres people that are pissed at him for playing for the kiwis .......

as was henry for playing for the poms and playing rugby ......if he wanted to play top class rugby , the best in the world are in super 14 ,,, if u wanted to test yourself against the best in rugby , why not play in nz.. ???

rememeber back in 95 ,
he went to england to play for big $$$$$ to wigan , instead of playing for less money at the warriors .......i think alot of people have forgotton that fact ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is very important to Mr Paul
 

JonB_old

Guest
edguy said:
thats brent webbs choice . over here theres people that are pissed at him for playing for the kiwis .......

as was henry for playing for the poms and playing rugby ......if he wanted to play top class rugby , the best in the world are in super 14 ,,, if u wanted to test yourself against the best in rugby , why not play in nz.. ???

rememeber back in 95 ,
he went to england to play for big $$$$$ to wigan , instead of playing for less money at the warriors .......i think alot of people have forgotton that fact ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is very important to Mr Paul

and he is the olny one in the world trying to make a good living?
 

edguy_old

Guest
jon u are looking at this from a purely financial standpoint ...

u can make great money in the esl , or nrl if u are a top player like he is or was .... they just cant compare with the mega bucks of the british rugby clubs ....

theres alot of kiwis playing in the esl , why havent any of them changed sides and gone over to the enemy , or defected ????? why hasnt robbie paul played for the poms???????he would march straight into there team?
 

kiwi man_old

Guest
bluey has stated that he would not be surprised if henry paul came close to test selection if he returned to the nrl... and rightly so, he never turned his back on the kiwis, he was playing in the esl and felt he needed a change but not a lifestyle change so therefore he stayed in the northern hemisphere and played rah rah, he wanted to taste top level football (test football) and he did so by using the grandparent rule, so he represented england.
i personally hope he comes back and plays well and comes into contention for the kiwis.
 

edguy_old

Guest
hes 32 years old .. and has been out of the game for what 4 years?

im sure bluey was joking , when he made that comment ... if we that hard up that we gotta pick him .......god help us ...
 

Ronnie_7_old

Guest
edguy said:
hes 32 years old .. and has been out of the game for what 4 years?

im sure bluey was joking , when he made that comment ... if we that hard up that we gotta pick him .......god help us ...

I doubt that Bluey was joking. Do you not realise how old Ruben wiki is? Age has jack all to do with it. If they're playing good they're playing good. When you grow up playing one sport for most of your life you don't foreget it even if you don't play it for 4 years. And as for him playing rugby here I think I remember something about the NZRFU not wanting him (I could be wrong). We are actually 'hard up' in the halves department at the moment and if Benji Marshall keeps stuffing up we will still be hard up next year bar a possible/probable Jeremy Smith and on top of that picking Henry Paul if he is in form would never be a 'hard up' decision.
 

Swanley_old

Guest
get real edguy.

If wgan came in with a big offer would you trun it down and stay with the warriors ?

Shall we ask Feka his opinion on the subject ?

As for playing rugby, both codes are littered with dual players, Matthew Ridge, Mr D Halligan spring to mind.

All blacks have a policy of only picking players playing in NZ for the All Blacks. Why would he turn down a lucrative offer from a Uk Rugby club to came to NZ to play kick and clap ????

If I was 28 and got offered a huge contract to switch codes, I would be saying yes.

As for playing for England, who cares, what about a few off the Pacific Islands boys who play test rugby and rugby league for NZ, are they trators ?
 

Tajhay_old

Guest
if daniel carter gave up his all black contract for a more lucrative contract to play for australia...and played like crap....and wanted to play again for the all blacks...would u take him?
 

Similar threads

Replies
0
Views
1K
Swanley_old
Replies
6
Views
2K
warriors4life_old
Replies
1
Views
1K
edguy_old
playdaball
Replies
1
Views
3K
a.c.e
a.c.e
playdaball
Replies
0
Views
768
playdaball
playdaball