General Centres for 2024

Who will be our 2 centres next years

• Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

• Adam Pompey

• Rocco Berry

• Ali Leiutaua

• Other option

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wound be interested to see Ali on the wing next year, and doing an apprenticeship there, getting FG games under his belt, before potentially moving in down the road (I say potentially because I think he could be so damn good on the wing, you may not want to move him)

2. DWZ
3. Goat
4. RTS
5. Ali

No harm in Pompey being a back up, he fits in the Bunty box where he will be staying here for cheap because he wants to stay in NZ.

Montoya is terribly out of form, regardless of what is happening further in field, combined with his age, I wouldn’t want him blocking the path for Ali or the Goat

Realistically though, I think RTS will replace the Goat and Pompey will swap sides, with Montoya keeping his spot.

Last edited:
What are RTS credentials as a centre?
How many elite centres are there that are 30+?
How did he go when they moved him to wing to accommodate Walsh?
How has he gone in the centres in Union?

He’ll get first shot at left centre but I’m far from sold he’ll be a success there. Fullback or a running standoff would be my preference.

I wound be interested to see Ali on the wing next year, and doing an apprenticeship there, getting FG games under his belt, before potentially moving in down the road (I say potentially because I think he could be so damn good on the wing, you may not want to move him)

2. DWZ
3. Goat
4. RTS
5. Ali

No harm in Pompey being a back up, he fits in the Bunty box where he will be staying here for cheap because he wants to stay in NZ.

Montoya is terribly out of form, regardless of what is happening further in field, combined with his age, I wouldn’t want him blocking the path for Ali or the Goat

Realistically though, I think RTS will replace the Goat and Pompey will swap sides, with Montoya keeping his spot.
Is Pompey cheap?

My guess is very good. SBW said centre in yawnion was more difficult than league so he should transfer back ok.
Our best centre was Dean Bell, in hi final year and well over 30.
Wing is for newbies, fast newbies. Walsh is a fast newbie, should have been on the wing but we like big guys.
Made the All Blacks.

He’ll get first shot at left centre but I’m far from sold he’ll be a success there. Fullback or a running standoff would be my preference.
I agree that he's unproven in the position and that fullback is likely to still be his best position but I would still play him at centre next year after seeing how well Charnze has gone at the back. With Charnze being younger we could have some stability at the back for a good few years. I wouldn't see RTS as a running standoff because I think it requires more distribution skills than centre.

My guess is very good. SBW said centre in yawnion was more difficult than league so he should transfer back ok.

Our best centre was Dean Bell, in hi final year and well over 30.

Wing is for newbies, fast newbies. Walsh is a fast newbie, should have been on the wing but we like big guys.

Made the All Blacks.

SBW started league in the centres, was an all black centre on the bench behind the best centre combination in their history. RTS this year couldn’t even make the Blues squad.

Dean Bell scored 3 tries in 19 games for the Warriors in his only season. Adam Pompey has scored 5 in 25 for us this season Dean Bell was a kiwi great but he was well past his prime when he played for the Warriors.

I agree that he's unproven in the position and that fullback is likely to still be his best position but I would still play him at centre next year after seeing how well Charnze has gone at the back. With Charnze being younger we could have some stability at the back for a good few years. I wouldn't see RTS as a running standoff because I think it requires more distribution skills than centre.

I would agree, CNK has been fantastic this year for us. I’m more unconvinced about RTS making a successful transition to centre.

Yes he did, but only for PR purposes

How many minutes did he play for them?

When it got to the sharp end they quietly moved away from him because he was no longer of PR value
I personally know guys who made the All Blacks for less than talent. However they still picked him and for the Blues.

Reading a couple of comments about Ali on the wing and I'm not for it leave him as a center and ethier play him or give him 1 more year to develop in reserve grade I know he is doing well there at the moment and he will learn more from first grade experience but guys like trindall show that more reserve grade experience doesn't hurt. I'm all for giving setu tu a run on the wing got a bit more pace think he's a got some x factor about him also

Everyone worried about rts remember 2 things cnk was literally behind x Savage before his return and it wasn't sticky being a dick he just was really that poor in form and rodge was going good in the days before video was a thing ..... he is the ultimate professional and hard workers seem to get value out of webbys systems is he going to light the world on fire and become the most elite center probably not but I'd put my bank on him adding some value to the side and would take him over pompey and berry even unproven as he is.

Yes he did, but only for PR purposes

How many minutes did he play for them?

When it got to the sharp end they quietly moved away from him because he was no longer of PR value
I think this might interest you in just how good the NZRU is at selecting talent.

This fecker demolished our front row in Paris on the weekend.

He was born in Timaru. Completely overlooked in the NZ system.

So on that basis I couldn't give a rats arse at what Ian Foster thought of RTS.

I think this might interest you in just how good the NZRU is at selecting talent.

This fecker demolished our front row in Paris on the weekend.

He was born in Timaru. Completely overlooked in the NZ system.

So on that basis I couldn't give a rats arse at what Ian Foster thought of RTS.

I could say that that is the same argument that could be used for RTS’s selection - NZRU are not good at selecting talent

My choice would be RTS and Berry

Pompey is just too erratic and Ali needs more time in NSW Cup.

We have a history of using juniors too early, and I don't want this to happen to Ali.

Back