Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

2024 Trial 2 - Warriors vs Dolphins

IMG_7767.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we're only a few hours away from the announcement, but do we generally expect this to be a full strength 17, with 2 or 3 contentious positions to be sorted out?

Would love to see SJ, even for 20 minutes running around and directing the boys.

I'd love to see a full lineup in the backs so that we can get a taster to how we're gunna go this year, with a couple of our forwards given a shorter shift to ensure they're ready for Rd 1 - Tohu, AFB, Capewell and Marata all to be given 20-30 min hopefully.

I know we're only a few hours away from the announcement, but do we generally expect this to be a full strength 17, with 2 or 3 contentious positions to be sorted out?

Would love to see SJ, even for 20 minutes running around and directing the boys.

I'd love to see a full lineup in the backs so that we can get a taster to how we're gunna go this year, with a couple of our forwards given a shorter shift to ensure they're ready for Rd 1 - Tohu, AFB, Capewell and Marata all to be given 20-30 min hopefully.
I’d consider resting RTS. Double edged sword as he showed enough but also the more experience at centre the better. Would be disastrous to pick up an injury though. Also the other thread mentioning CNK in doubt, would Webster consider RTS fullback round 1 and Berry/Pompey centres if CNK is indeed out round 1?

I’d consider resting RTS. Double edged sword as he showed enough but also the more experience at centre the better. Would be disastrous to pick up an injury though. Also the other thread mentioning CNK in doubt, would Webster consider RTS fullback round 1 and Berry/Pompey centres if CNK is indeed out round 1?
Workmate mentioned CNK might be in doubt with hamstring injury and may miss round 1. Is there any official confirmation on that?

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad’s ‘niggle’ could see Roger Tuivasa-Sheck get ‘some reps’ at fullback for Warriors

The pre-season injury niggles continue for the Warriors with coach Andrew Webster saying that star fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad will not play in their second trial match this Saturday.

Webster told media the club had hoped to have Nicoll-Klokstad available but that they’d taken a “long-haul” approach to his recovery.

“Charnze has got a hamstring trouble. It’s a hamstring niggle, it’s a little bit of back as well. We assessed it and thought he’d be back for this trial but we’re probably going to re-strip him down, get him right and make sure we’ve got him for the long haul, so we’ll play that one by ear but he definitely won’t be playing this week.”

The news presents a somewhat tricky situation for the Warriors. With Taine Tuaupiki established by Webster as the understudy to Nicoll-Klokstad, that leaves few further options should the hamstring niggle prove more serious.

Of course, there is one player who has pedigree at fullback: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Webster, though, was quick to re-confirm the fullback pecking order and that Tuaupiki will be the preferred option to cover for Nicoll-Klokstad.

“Taine’s it. I’ve said that from day one, told Taine that last year, told Roger that. I do believe that if Taine wasn’t available for selection for whatever reason then Roger would have to do a job there.

“It’s not to say we won’t see Roger in some capacity at some stage there but I’m hoping we don’t have to because that means everyone’s fit.”

The Dally M Coach of the Year said injuries do happen and the club would be “mad” not to give Tuivasa-Sheck “some reps” as a contingency plan.

The Tuivasa-Sheck positional discussion seemed all but decided following the Warriors first trial against the Tigers on Sunday in Christchurch. The returning All Black was a standout performer - slotting into the backline at centre and earning the most running metres for the home side as well as putting in a number of big defensive plays.

“I thought he played great, I thought he took his opportunities well, I thought he had some tough carries, thought he got to show his flair and he came up with a ripper of a tackle and forced an error so I’m pumped for Roge.”

Depending on how Nicoll-Klokstad’s injury progresses, though, it seems fans may in fact get a chance to see the Dally M medal-winning fullback in his old position after all.

In a big boost ahead of Saturday’s trial against the Dolphins, Webster says he has “every intention” of naming Shaun Johnson in the side - Johnson picked up a pre-season injury of his own and missed the first trial.

Webster also said that he is unsure at this stage who would be Johnson’s partner in the halves long-term, with the returning Chanel Harris-Tavita, Luke Metcalf and Te Maire Martin all showing they have the ability to take the number six jumper.

“It’s tough, but it’s a good headache. It’s something you’d want at each club is a headache around three really good options around who could be that number six role.”

Of concern to the Warriors will be the fate of prop Zyon Maiu’u, who was sent off for a high shot on Tigers centre Declan Casey.

Webster said the club would comment further on the situation once a hearing for Zyon Maiu’u had taken place but the initial priority had been ensuring that Casey was okay.

“We just wanted to make sure the welfare of the other player was okay, it wasn’t a nice situation getting stretchered off but we’ll comment more on that in future.”

He said the squad have got around Zyon Maiu’u, that he’s taken responsibility and is feeling “gutted” as he never wanted anything like that to happen and is disappointed due to how hard he has worked in pre-season.

Dolphins were virtually full strength and were kept scoreless for 50 minutes against a Titans team that only had 8 players with any NRL experience.

I expect Dolphins to be full strength again and we should be too.

With cnk out why not give tuaupiki the full back spot?
He has showed he is up to it.
Long term plan is to have RTS in the centres so I wouldn't want to be messing with that.

As long as we’re confident RTS is comfortable in that centre position which he did look because we need a solid defensive line. We’ll notice the smaller size Tuaupiki offers defensively.

As long as we’re confident RTS is comfortable in that centre position which he did look because we need a solid defensive line. We’ll notice the smaller size Tuaupiki offers defensively.
And the link play also. Tuaupiki is an elusive runner but doesn't have that play making ability joining in to the line yet which CNK has developed.

Last edited:
Taine did awesome in the games he filled in last year, people are just distracted by the big, new, shiny toy

Can understand the allure of moving RTS to fullback then getting Ali or Pompey in at centre but Webby has been hammering the point that Taine is second choice, and RTS will fill in if necessary; The only way I see RTS getting the nod at fullback over a heathy Taine is in a case like the finals, when Webby wants more experience in (see: Walker moving to the halves rather than just bring Volkman in).. God Rocco Berry forbid CNK cops an injury around that time

Certainly not complaining if Webby has been telling fibs* and Roger is back there come Round 1 though, would be oh-so-good (*maybe it is has been just a ploy so that if CNK were to come unavailable, he names Taine is named at 1 and then on matchday boom, fuck [insert team]'s gameplan to target our small fullback, now we have a Dally M fullback out there)

Last edited:
With cnk out why not give tuaupiki the full back spot?
He has showed he is up to it.
Long term plan is to have RTS in the centres so I wouldn't want to be messing with that.

That’s someone that didn’t get enough praise in the weekend. I saw a ton of improvement from him including the defensive side of things. Also gave a few quick ball to RTS and Ali. But yes should get seconds over CNK. Not go back to RTS.

Back