Current Affairs Is this the twilight of democracy?

This has escalated quickly and looks to be perhaps 500 or more dead. Wonder if there’s some sort of collusion between hamas and Russia in which to bombard the yanks and draw their weapons into this battle and away from Ukraine?

This has escalated quickly and looks to be perhaps 500 or more dead. Wonder if there’s some sort of collusion between hamas and Russia in which to bombard the yanks and draw their weapons into this battle and away from Ukraine?
I doubt it, Israel although a strong US allie, and Russia avoid conflict

Wonder if there’s some sort of collusion between hamas and Russia in which to bombard the yanks and draw their weapons into this battle and away from Ukraine?
I would bet on it.

Russia and Israel are supposed to be friendly towards one another.

Yet as we know Israel has supplied air defence to Ukraine.

It would be a bad move if discovered, that put put Israeli Russian relations on a cold war footing and probably see more weapons flood into Ukraine via Israel and the US.

I get the feeling when it comes to Ukraine, now that things are destabilized, the Yanks will just go ahead and give Ukraine missiles, more missiles and longer range.

Certainly there is good reason to fire up the millitary industrial complex now and pump weapons all over the shop.

We don't have to look outside NZ to witness democracy falter... Everyone who voted for MMP in the 90s referendum did that. (Mind you out of fairness they probably never understood its true reality)

People lost their democratic power through list MPs, the people have no say who goes on the list or the order of ranking Its become a safety haven for MPs who know the people want them out. They are answerable to no electorate only to the party and its donors...

Last edited:
We don't have to look outside NZ to witness democracy falter... Everyone who voted for MMP in the 90s referendum did that. (Mind you out of fairness they probably never understood its true reality)

People lost their democratic power through list MPs, the people have no say who goes on the list or the order of ranking Its become a safety haven for MPs who know the people want them out. They are answerable to no electorate only to the party and its donors...
Guilty as charged
Have a referendum on being back fpp

Single Transferable Vote (Stv) was the best option and still is IMO.
But I remember the ads promoting MMP were bombarding TV and radio... knew then STV or even the old FPP had no show.. So I suppose it was rigged way back then.
The right wing and big money wanted to retain FPP...just in case you have forgotten.
the Electoral Commission went to immense lengths to explain the options.

The right wing and big money wanted to retain FPP...just in case you have forgotten.
the Electoral Commission went to immense lengths to explain the options.
Yes I do remember now Bruce .... the mood around the country at the time was people had enough of FPP and the gerrymandering shit which is undemocratic.. (edit... the big trigger was in the 80s when Roger Douglas implement Rogernomics ... radical changes, mass redundancies etc etc.. and no one could stop him)
By then the money spent campaining to keep FPP was flogging a dead horse..
Yet I certainly remember the big push on MMP though

Last edited:
By then the money spent campaining to keep FPP was flogging a dead horse..
The leader of the campaign for FPP was a well known business leader, genuine right winger, Sir Peter somebody. I recall hearing serious rumours about his proximity to the Winebox scandal. Have no fears ladies and jellybeans, the right wing wanted FPP

although never having ever in my life, including my absolute dickhead years of teenagehood had an unfairly bad interaction with police, i’m not what you would call a “fan”.

but if i were this cop, i’d have got back in my car, reversed about 1/4 of a mile, floored it. bowled him. beaten him to death if he were still breathing, then dragged him into the long grass and gotten on with my day.

joking.
kinda.

they deserve to be paid a metric shit tonne more than they are.
and it’s going to get way worse with these dickheads.

Last edited:
although never having ever in my life, including my absolute dickhead years of teenagehood had an unfairly bad interaction with police, i’m not what you would call a “fan”.
Revenue gathering makes the police an enemy to me.

… or maybe I need to slow down?

And don’t get me started on those customs dogs. Kids bring a apple home and it cost me $400

if you’ve gotta drive faster than the speed limit, then you’ve probably gotta treat speeding tickets like an operating cost.
😜
They talking about the police now having the technology to bring average speed cameras online in NZ. For some reason, I thought we already had those operating in the Waterview tunnel where cameras record whst time you entered the tunnel and when you leave and if you went faster than a certain time, the calculated your average speed and ticketed you on that and not going past a speed camera at a certain speed.

They talking about the police now having the technology to bring average speed cameras online in NZ. For some reason, I thought we already had those operating in the Waterview tunnel where cameras record whst time you entered the tunnel and when you leave and if you went faster than a certain time, the calculated your average speed and ticketed you on that and not going past a speed camera at a certain speed.
this just came up after reading your comment, ha!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckl...ix-auckland-roads/BZMDLMVWCVGNHPFNMNWUIC4PXI/

if you’ve gotta drive faster than the speed limit, then you’ve probably gotta treat speeding tickets like an operating cost.
😜
It’s the little hick towns that get you. Who’s got time to slow down to 60 as you pass a diary in the middle of nowhere?

And tickets for being on my phone… I’ve got business to do!

Back