General Hamilton Can Warriors Games

BigD_old

Guest
From www.stff.co.nz

The Hamilton City Council has bailed out of its three-year deal with the Parramatta Eels league club, saying a loss of more than $200,000 over two years is too much for ratepayers to wear.


After meeting behind closed doors yesterday, the council voted 6-4 not to fund the Eels' annual home match against the Warriors at Waikato Stadium.

Four councillors missed the meeting.

Former stadiums' chairman Councillor Peter Bos, who voted to give the Eels one more chance, said he stood up for the stadium and for league fans.

"It's going to be hard for us to get league back now," he said.

"I pleaded for one more chance for them."

Cr Dave Macpherson said: "I thought there was more cost-cutting we could have tried."

Community and leisure committee chairwoman Pippa Mahood was disappointed with the decision.

"I felt we hadn't honestly given the public any warning."

The stadium, which was to have been a multi-events venue for Hamilton, was now limited to rugby and soccer, Cr Macpherson said.

Cr Joe di Maio said league had had their chance, Cr John Gower said it was a shame league people never supported the match and Cr Marijke Westphal said she was happy the right decision had been made by the council.

Mayor Michael Redman voted in favour of the Eels but said today he understood some councillors thought there were too many variables to continue to support the fixture.

A pre-season match between the Warriors and the Dragons in 2004 made money and attracted more than 22,000 fans. But the first NRL match proper lost $61,000, and this year's match lost $144,000.


Cool
Hopefully the Eels will now play their Home game against the Warriors at Parra Stadium which is just down the road from my place
 

*Kimmy*_old

Guest
PARA COME TO INVERCARGILL haha..i just wanna watch the warriors!!!..i'm planning on going to the game in chch next year..if they have one..
 

Shazza_old

Guest
danco said:
their loss the idiots.
It was their loss literally, that's why they canned it. Hamilton is too close to Auckland I think, they should give the games to Wellington.
 

*Kimmy*_old

Guest
Shazza said:
danco said:
their loss the idiots.
It was their loss literally, that's why they canned it. Hamilton is too close to Auckland I think, they should give the games to Wellington.
Wellington already has a deal with the Bulldogs..well they did..I'm pretty sure they still have it?

Or maybe the Eels could go to Dunedin!!..the closer to me the better :lol:
 

*Kimmy*_old

Guest
warriorfaithful* said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
Shazza said:
Wellington already has a deal with the Bulldogs..well they did..I'm pretty sure they still have it?

Nah that bulldogs/wellington deal is gooooone. :)
Gay!!..lol well maybe prehaps the Bulldogs could set up a deal with Invercargill??

Hahaha if you couldnt already tell im desperate!!
 

warriorfaithful*_old

Guest
Go_The_Doggies said:
warriorfaithful* said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
Shazza said:
Wellington already has a deal with the Bulldogs..well they did..I'm pretty sure they still have it?

Nah that bulldogs/wellington deal is gooooone. :)
Gay!!..lol well maybe prehaps the Bulldogs could set up a deal with Invercargill??

Hahaha if you couldnt already tell im desperate!!

LOL! Wouldnt that make all your dreams come true GTD. Your beloved bulldogs vs the mighty warriors At INVERCARGILL!!! :lol:
 

*Kimmy*_old

Guest
warriorfaithful* said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
warriorfaithful* said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
Shazza said:
Wellington already has a deal with the Bulldogs..well they did..I'm pretty sure they still have it?

Nah that bulldogs/wellington deal is gooooone. :)
Gay!!..lol well maybe prehaps the Bulldogs could set up a deal with Invercargill??

Hahaha if you couldnt already tell im desperate!!

LOL! Wouldnt that make all your dreams come true GTD. Your beloved bulldogs vs the mighty warriors At INVERCARGILL!!! :lol:
Haha yes!!..would be nearly all my heroes in 1 spot..though tbh i'd probably scare them all..actually i would be rather shy around them lol..
 

MarkW_old

Guest
They had 16,000 along to the Parra game. How the hell did they lose over $140k?

Either there are some insane overhead costs involved with hosting an NRL team or the management there are bloody hopeless.

If they lose money on Warriors games how much do they lose on Air NZ cup matches or SOCCER?
I guess NZ Rugby props them up with All Blacks matches and Super 14 fixtures.

Seems very odd anyway.
 

Northern_Union

Guest
MarkW said:
They had 16,000 along to the Parra game. How the hell did they lose over $140k?

Either there are some insane overhead costs involved with hosting an NRL team or the management there are bloody hopeless.

If they lose money on Warriors games how much do they lose on Air NZ cup matches or SOCCER?
I guess NZ Rugby props them up with All Blacks matches and Super 14 fixtures.

Seems very odd anyway.

Actually thats a good point, if the Eels game loses them money with 16000 strong crowds....then how is it that soccer can afford to keep going back with crowds of around 2000. And then Air NZ cup games only draw around 9000 don't they????

Something aint right here.
 

Esoj_old

Guest
very strange indeed. I am guessing because of the super 14 the impact for rugby isn't so bad. maybe the costing works differently if it is a local nz team that has the home game or something.
 

Northern_Union

Guest
Sinbad said:
Christchurch is on the cards

Eels bringing there team to Jade do you mean Sinbad???

If so i'll be driving the 200km to get to the game!!!
 

-Dr.J-_old

Guest
RS_Dragon said:
MarkW said:
They had 16,000 along to the Parra game. How the hell did they lose over $140k?

Either there are some insane overhead costs involved with hosting an NRL team or the management there are bloody hopeless.

If they lose money on Warriors games how much do they lose on Air NZ cup matches or SOCCER?
I guess NZ Rugby props them up with All Blacks matches and Super 14 fixtures.

Seems very odd anyway.

Actually thats a good point, if the Eels game loses them money with 16000 strong crowds....then how is it that soccer can afford to keep going back with crowds of around 2000. And then Air NZ cup games only draw around 9000 don't they????

Something aint right here.


I was thinking the same thing, mainly cos I drove my ass down to Ham for the game before last and it was rammed. If they lost 61 large then it was never gonna make money in the first place. My guess is Parra get all of / a large clip of the ticket.
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
Shazza said:
danco said:
their loss the idiots.
It was their loss literally, that's why they canned it. Hamilton is too close to Auckland I think, they should give the games to Wellington.

Having it in Hamilton meant I could drive down to the game. Wellington would be just too far for me to go.

Ironically, that turned out to be one of the largest crowd-drawing matches for the Warriors all season.
 

Similar threads

Replies
29
Views
3K
rugged
rugged
Replies
6
Views
1K
playdaball_old
Miket12
Replies
334
Views
29K
Mr Frank White
Mr Frank White
Gee
Replies
23
Views
4K
mt.wellington
mt.wellington
Replies
28
Views
2K
Spence_old