Social A Weighty Issue

It would be great if there was a metric for mental health 🤔

images.jpeg-89.jpg

Sleeping a lot is often a good indication. I go through ups and downs as everyone does in life but it’s hard to understand people that are just so down that they can’t get themselves out of bed, I would never discredit what they’re feeling though, I just don’t understand being I haven’t felt it to that degree. I really feel for them though. Would be a tough existence.

I don't know a lot about it but I guess that's different to each individual. I suppose the only thing you could do is to recognize or identify what aspects have the greatest impact on how you feel mentally and develop measures around those, if that's something you wanted to do. For example, a number of friends of mine say if they don't get some sort of regular exercise then it has an impact on them mentally. So if that was one of the things for you, having a target of doing an hour a day of exercise, whether swimming, walking, biking, sports etc and checking it off, leads to managing your mental health.

I rarely feel like my mental health is an issue but having said that, I have always had some focuses and recognized trigger points and made adjustments which ultimately, I guess, have lead to being in a good state of mind.

For me, thinking about it now, the key things that I know help me would be

Regular exercise
Eating properly
Enough sleep
Family time including eating together at the dinner table with no devices present so there is conversation
Playing card games with friends/family
I have two really good people that we can literally talk to each other about anything and we do - regularly. I'm equally comfortable being alone as I am interacting with people but if I don't discuss things that are bothering me with these guys it affects me over the long term.
Getting the work/life balance right

Everyone is different and have different circumstances. If I can do the above things as regularly as possible then I find I'm pretty good. If not, I realize pretty quickly and fix it.

So, long answer, but, I don't have a metric for mental health but I can put in place a metric on each of the main things that lead to what I consider good mental health for me. Ultimately if you don't have some sort of purpose then it won't matter?

Last edited:
Actually, that’s depression my explanation in that previous post I made. Mental health is something separate? Or correlated?

On second thoughts maybe it’s all interconnected

Your mental strength will get you to lose how ever many kilos you want. Reaching that goal will make you also feel better, improving your mental health and well being overall. It’s hard to have one without the other.

On second thoughts maybe it’s all interconnected

Your mental strength will get you to lose how ever many kilos you want. Reaching that goal will make you also feel better, improving your mental health and well being overall. It’s hard to have one without the other.
I used to love a mince and cheese pie at smoko and ate heaps. I wouldn’t have had one in about 5 years now, I still have a pie every now and then but some sort of chicken or bacon and egg. I wouldn’t have eaten red meat since then either probably, not knowingly anyway. I want to give up eating meat altogether at some point but haven’t been able to give up chicken, pork or fish. Something that’s always stuck in my mind is the Native American’s view on being particular about the meat they eat for the fear that animal has had at the end of its life. I’m from a farming family background and it’s widely known that the animals that have been poorly kept produce tough meat.

I used to love a mince and cheese pie at smoko and ate heaps. I wouldn’t have had one in about 5 years now, I still have a pie every now and then but some sort of chicken or bacon and egg. I wouldn’t have eaten red meat since then either probably, not knowingly anyway. I want to give up eating meat altogether at some point but haven’t been able to give up chicken, pork or fish. Something that’s always stuck in my mind is the Native American’s view on being particular about the meat they eat for the fear that animal has had at the end of its life. I’m from a farming family background and it’s widely known that the animals that have been poorly kept produce tough meat.
I’ve gone the opposite direction and full carnivore

Clean meat

No processed
No sugar
No carbs except for some rice

Game changer

Forgive me father if this is a sin

I’m from a farming family background and it’s widely known that the animals that have been poorly kept produce tough meat.
Does being poorly kept as a human affect our meat?

Meat representative of our whole system - health, weight, mental health, etc.

Poorly kept representative of stress, poor diet, lack of sleep and exercise.

I’ve gone the opposite direction and full carnivore

Clean meat

No processed
No sugar
No carbs except for some rice

Game changer

Forgive me father if this is a sin
My efforts so far to reduce carb intake have included switching (mostly) to the new Garage Project beer that’s 99% carb free. It lacks a bit of flavour however is pleasant enough to drink.

Waistline and Weight

Dec 26 2023 50 inches 109.1 kgs

Dec 31 2023 50 inches 108.6 kgs

Jan 1 2024 49 inches 107.6 kgs

Jan 2 49.25 inches 107 kgs

Jan 3 48.5 inches 106.5 kgs

Jan 4 48.5 inches 106.8kgs

Jan 5 48.5 inches 106.2kgs

Jan 6 48 inches 106.1kgs

Jan 7 47.75 inches 104.9kgs

Jan 8 47.75 inches 105.1kgs

Still on the train

Waistline and Weight

Jan 6 48 inches 106.1kgs

Still on the train
For this time of year as Ritchie Benaud would say’marvellous effort that!’

Waistline and Weight

Jan 6 48 inches 106.1kgs

Still on the train
When I was at my lowest, I bought some size 36 jeans in Dallas..... my goal is to get out of the 44 I wear at the moment and back into the 36's.

When I was at my lowest, I bought some size 36 jeans in Dallas..... my goal is to get out of the 44 I wear at the moment and back into the 36's.
Excellent goal

Back