General Great Crowds, Shame About The Team.......

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
It is simple, win and the crowds will come back, keep up the crap they dished out this year and look forward to seeing more empty yellow seats each week.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Sydney
To us, this is the greatest game on earth, and we would follow it anywhere. The fact that we have our own team to follow is a special bonus!
To the owners and managers of the Warriors, this is just a 'business' and their 'business' is in bad, bad, shape!
Without some significant improvements e.g coaching, training, recruitment etc, their 'business' will be bankrupt.
The next 6 months will possibly be the greatest test of their 'business' experience that they will ever know.
No owner of such an expensive 'business' is going to idly sit by and watch his investment be flushed down the toilet!
I bet there's some very nervous people at Warriors HQ :eek:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
How much of it is because of the Blues problems.
Good point.

How many of the Warriors tickets that were sold in 2012 were on the basis of "I want to watch live sport, I can't support the Blues because they constantly suck, so I'll go to the Warriors who'll most likely suck."

Nice timing of the Warriors to not really hit crapville until after the Super 15 was over.

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
this always seems to be the case. When the Warriors or Kiwis finish strong one season they fall flat the next and the crowds slowly thin out again. Or the Kiwis would do well and the Warriors will have a crap season and vice versa. We cant seem to get it right for a couple of years to get in some real numbers through the turnstiles and fill Mount Smart like the good old days.

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
May 13, 2012
We are not the only team to have fickle fans. Look at the crowd at Canberra stadium last night. It was full and so many of them had jerseys on. Usually that place has more empty seats.

It was great to see a full stadium though.

Hopefully we get the coach we all want and that puts 4,000+ extra ticket holders in at Mt. Smart

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
We'll see the early season upswing irrespective of who the new coach is.

It's whether it lasts into the winter months that'll be interesting.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
this always seems to be the case. When the Warriors or Kiwis finish strong one season they fall flat the next and the crowds slowly thin out again. Or the Kiwis would do well and the Warriors will have a crap season and vice versa. We cant seem to get it right for a couple of years to get in some real numbers through the turnstiles and fill Mount Smart like the good old days.
You must be referring to 1995 and 1996, as those are the only two years when we had higher crowds than 2012?

Reactions: a.c.e

Niccolò Machiavelli

Warriors Bench Player
Apr 25, 2012
Florentine Republic
even if you tale away the effect of the Eden Park opener - our Mt Smart average gate was 15,257;

No Super15 team comes close.
Except, of course, the Blues, the Crusaders, the Chiefs (all of which had greater average crowds even if you include the Eden Park opener) and the Highlanders. If you want to go overseas you can include the Waratahs, the Reds, the Lions, the Stormers, the Bulls, the Sharks and the Cheetahs.

What's the point of pretending our team is more popular than it actually is?

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Hang on, the Blues had a better crowd average then the Warriors? 17,295 accoring to Wikipedia...I'd like to see an official figure, not one that can be edited by anyone with a Wikipedia account (or not, even).

Reactions: ramraider78

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Good point. I'd forgotten the number of home games would be fewer (I'd said to myself "the Blues played 13 games" and somehow assumed they were all home games).

Derr.

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
May 15, 2012
https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/08/15/another-record-year-for-super-rugby-crowds/

The blues only had 8 home games so presumably the larger crowds at the start of the season and at North Harbour Stadium have more of an effect on the overall overage compared to the Warriors.
I think it's worth noting the author of this article.

By kovana, 15 Aug 2012 kovana is a Roar Pro

He's a proven liar on many websites and offen trolls league websites with half truths and complete bullshit. He was banned on our old website under the user name Junior Warlord. At LU he's been banned under the names Mt Albert lions and a few others. Ditto other websites.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
Except, of course, the Blues, the Crusaders, the Chiefs (all of which had greater average crowds even if you include the Eden Park opener) and the Highlanders. If you want to go overseas you can include the Waratahs, the Reds, the Lions, the Stormers, the Bulls, the Sharks and the Cheetahs.

What's the point of pretending our team is more popular than it actually is?
Erm, no.

I was refferring to the total number of people who attended the regular season home games - no NZ super rugby team came close..

Regardless of that fact, your statement that the Blues, Crusaders and Cheifs all had higher average attendances than the Warriors for the regular season is also not true.